BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2013 1:06:44 PM EDT
Curious as to what pistol buffer tubes will work with the new Sig pistol brace. I would prefer to use a normal length buffer tube with a castel nut. The Phase5 tube looks to be .05" too big in diameter from the specs, but does anyone know if it'll work?
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen people squeeze the SB15 onto the 1.25 tube...but I dont suggest you do that as you are really stretching the properties of the rubber too much.  The friction fit will work best with tubes from 1.1 to 1.2.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have seen people squeeze the SB15 onto the 1.25 tube...but I dont suggest you do that as you are really stretching the properties of the rubber too much.  The friction fit will work best with tubes from 1.1 to 1.2.

Yeah, that's what I figured. So what other options use a castle nut?
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Well...you have several options in terms of buffer tubes.  I like the way the tubes with the castle fit on the SB15 because the Brace is recessed for a castle nut.  If that doesn't matter to you then the buffer tubes with the knurled end work great too. I normally get that stuff from Exile Machine, but you can get them from whomever you think works best for you.  The PWS buffer tubes are my absolute favorite...but man do they come at a price!
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The Phase 5 tube works fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the brace mounted on my palmetto pistol tube and its pretty tight.  I'd prefer a SLIGHTLY looser fit.  On the good side it doesn't move at all.  No castle nut though...

I'm pretty excited about it since I live in WA state and we can't have SBR's and I had a pistol I built in AZ with the intention of a tax stamp...

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm using an A1 tube on mine which measures at 1.15 in diameter.  Tube is WAY to skinny. I ended up using some bicycle inner tube inside the brace to give it a nice snug fit. Without the extra rubber, the brace falls right off the tube.  Kind of strange seeing as Sig advertises that the SB15 will fit a 1.1 diameter tube. Once you get the thing to fit correctly, it's pretty awesome!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have it on my phase5 tube. No problem fitting it if you read the instructions that suggest to put dry lube. I used baby powder and had no problem sliding it in.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordered mine from big D armory.
My buffer is 1.25" and it was hard. But I got it on there!
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know if the Spike's pistol buffer tube will work with the Sig brace?
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#10]
You would have to ask them or someone what diameter buffer tube they have.  I was pretty sure they were using thicker buffertubes at 1.22 inches in diameter, but I cant seem to find the documents I had on all the various sizes that were out there....but again, I'm pretty sure that was the diameter.  Try shooting them an email just to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the Spike's pistol buffer tube will work with the Sig brace?
View Quote

this is a very good question.  thats what i have.  and for any of you who have not used 1 yet you will love it.  we went out to the range yesterday and shot my buddys 10in noveske.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have it on my phase5 tube. No problem fitting it if you read the instructions that suggest to put dry lube. I used baby powder and had no problem sliding it in.
View Quote

How is everyone using this tube. It is too big to fit. You have the stretch the shit out of it to fit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How is everyone using this tube. It is too big to fit. You have the stretch the shit out of it to fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And?

Put the buffer tube end on the table and PUSH on the sig brace from the top so you are leaning your weight on it. Goes right on with some cornstarch.

Link Posted: 10/5/2013 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I used this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRWE19Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fitting is tight, but it does slide in with some baby powder thrown in there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRWE19Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Yzo1ExcHL._SX342_.jpg

<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/plikatok/media/PSA%20AR/673F3365-5054-46F7-9288-DA7F41A41287-7725-000007EE8FC35E43_zpsf6e2f3c1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/plikatok/PSA%20AR/673F3365-5054-46F7-9288-DA7F41A41287-7725-000007EE8FC35E43_zpsf6e2f3c1.jpg</a>

View Quote

What is the diameter? It looks big like hte phase 5
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used this

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Yzo1ExcHL._SX342_.jpg

<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/plikatok/media/PSA%20AR/673F3365-5054-46F7-9288-DA7F41A41287-7725-000007EE8FC35E43_zpsf6e2f3c1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/plikatok/PSA%20AR/673F3365-5054-46F7-9288-DA7F41A41287-7725-000007EE8FC35E43_zpsf6e2f3c1.jpg</a>

1.25"
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

this is a very good question.  thats what i have.  and for any of you who have not used 1 yet you will love it.  we went out to the range yesterday and shot my buddys 10in noveske.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the spike pistol buffer.  It was pretty tight fit but went on with baby powder.  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't come back off if I tried.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive got the PWS, yeah it was pricey! Beautifully engineered, and i like its looks better than the castle nut, its two tiny and one large set screw method of tightening the plate seem really secure and precise. I will also say, i was uncertain which buffer and spring to use, id heard carbine from some folks, and a specific pistol buffer assy from others, so i emailed PWS.........I told them i had a 10.3" upper, and was planning on firing mostly 55 grain .223, and i got a reply back from PWS within in hour, and they suggested carbine std, with an upgrade to a heavy buffer if i were to start shooting 62 grain and heavier, or 5.56 spec rather than 223..........VERY IMPRESSED with PWS quick, professional customer service!
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#19]
i know most here dont like rguns,however i live near there and went there and got a pistol buffer set up.it was actually a little skinny.i had to put some electric tape on it to beef it up." />
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Tight fit but fits fine on a Phase 5.  I like the tight fit b/c I know it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tight fit but fits fine on a Phase 5.  I like the tight fit b/c I know it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
View Quote

This! I just put one on my Phase 5 as well.  It was tough to get it on, but its quite secure and isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This! I just put one on my Phase 5 as well.  It was tough to get it on, but its quite secure and isn't going anywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about only half way on? I just put it on but only half way because my arm is long. Is that secure enough that it wont back itself on with recoil? have not shot it yet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Over the weekend I shot maybe 100 9mm rounds through it and it didn't move.  Very small sample but I really don't think it is going anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know how the Sig brace fits onto the Rock River pistol tube?
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 6:04:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Works great...no issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Works well...

Link Posted: 10/9/2013 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works well...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w299/ILRider78/20131001_152246_zps5d47e663.jpg

What is up with the gap between the rear of the reciever and the front of the brace? It looks like it was intended to mount up flush?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What is up with the gap between the rear of the reciever and the front of the brace? It looks like it was intended to mount up flush?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works well...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w299/ILRider78/20131001_152246_zps5d47e663.jpg

Just personal preference...felt more comfortable for me extended a little when shouldered... it does mount flush though. I have another lower with a Phase5 and it sits flush against the lower receiver and castle nut...but I recently pulled the brace out a bit on that one also...
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just personal preference...felt more comfortable for me extended a little when shouldered... it does mount flush though. I have another lower with a Phase5 and it sits flush against the lower receiver and castle nut...but I recently pulled the brace out a bit on that one also...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works well...

Yep, completely agree.  I have one a Phase 5 as well and I have it at about the same position as yours.  Any closer and it is too short when shouldered.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep, completely agree.  I have one a Phase 5 as well and I have it at about the same position as yours.  Any closer and it is too short when shouldered arm braced.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works well...

Yep, completely agree.  I have one a Phase 5 as well and I have it at about the same position as yours.  Any closer and it is too short when shouldered arm braced.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good Lord!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good Lord!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Lord!

nice
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes indeed, Arm braced ONLY.......the SH word could well get one in trouble! the Sig brace comes w/a nice little BATF letter that says its NOT a buttstock
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes indeed, Arm braced ONLY.......the SH word could well get one in trouble! the Sig brace comes w/a nice little BATF letter that says its NOT a buttstock
View Quote

Man, I hope you are being sarcastic.  Shouldering an AR pistol in no way is illegal...just like putting an angled foregrip on a pistol doesn't make it an AOW...
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Man, I hope you are being sarcastic.  Shouldering an AR pistol in no way is illegal...just like putting an angled foregrip on a pistol doesn't make it an AOW...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Just as it's not illegal to shoot a long gun from the hip.

There are no laws regarding the method you use to shoot a firearm, only the configuration of them. Stand on your head, put it against your ass, fire it with your goober,  whatever.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There are no laws regarding the method you use to shoot a firearm, only the configuration of them. Stand on your head, put it against your ass, fire it with your goober,  whatever.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

yep this, They cant regulate how you hold your gun. Only what you stick on it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#37]
So shouldering the pistol brace is perfectly fine eh?
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. All three of us were only kidding.  You can go to jail for holding any pistol against your shoulder or shooting any long gun from the hip.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No. All three of us were only kidding.  You can go to jail for holding any pistol against your shoulder or shooting any long gun from the hip.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

/sarcasm on?
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

/sarcasm on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

/sarcasm on?

Of course.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#41]
So since my sig pistol brace sticks out farther then the buffer tube can I throw a VFG on it now. 27.9 inches long now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So since my sig pistol brace sticks out farther then the buffer tube can I throw a VFG on it now. 27.9 inches long now.
View Quote

Never been a ruling to my knowledge, only stocks are mentioned in overall length in any docs/letters/rulings that I've ever seen.

Perhaps you can be the test case, best of luck!

- OS
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Never been a ruling to my knowledge, only stocks are mentioned in overall length in any docs/letters/rulings that I've ever seen.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I hear so many mixed responses on this. Some people post pics of their pistol builds with VFGs and say if its over 26" its good. I have also read some ATF letters from vendors with pistols over 26". However I am not sure if that only includes their gun and not built guns.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I hear so many mixed responses on this. Some people post pics of their pistol builds with VFGs and say if its over 26" its good. I have also read some ATF letters from vendors with pistols over 26". However I am not sure if that only includes their gun and not built guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

It's any gun. But I'm sure you won't take my word, you seem to be from Missouri originally. :)

Here's one, but not the only source, read second page of letter starting:  "Can I legally construct a firearm similar to the Franklin Armory"...

- OS
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#45]
The Brace is considered an accessory and is not considered in the OAL of the weapon very much the same way a removable flash hider is not not considered in the overall length.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Brace is considered an accessory and is not considered in the OAL of the weapon very much the same way a removable flash hider is not not considered in the overall length.
View Quote

Shit I was told differently at a shop near me that specialized in NFA items. May have to check on that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Shit I was told differently at a shop near me that specialized in NFA items. May have to check on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find any ATF documentation stating that anything but a stock counts toward OAL on the rear end of firearm past the necessary operating parts. That was my point.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Find any ATF documentation stating that anything but a stock counts toward OAL on the rear end of firearm past the necessary operating parts. That was my point.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

You can count the retracted stock if it is permanently pinned to the open position.  Since the SIG brace is removable (not easily mind you), I would NOT consider it as part of the OAL.  I would only use muzzle (not flash hider unless pinned) to end of buffer tube.

That is my personal opinion...
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You can count the retracted stock if it is permanently pinned to the open position. ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

You can count the retracted stock if it is permanently pinned to the open position. ...

ATF measures overall length with stock in longest extended position period, whether retractable or folding, pinning is not a factor. Some states do not, however, such as Michigan, and of course some states you cannot have an adjustable stock at all.

Nothing except a stock on one end and muzzle device on the other is mentioned as contributing to legal OAL in any ATF documentation that I've ever seen.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

ATF measures overall length with stock in longest extended position period, whether retractable or folding, pinning is not a factor. Some states do not, however, such as Michigan, and of course some states you cannot have an adjustable stock at all.

Nothing except a stock on one end and muzzle device on the other is mentioned as contributing to legal OAL in any ATF documentation that I've ever seen.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

I thought the overall length was measured from the shortest possible extension of the stock?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top