Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:01:06 AM EDT
Ok, I am going to throw in some controversy here.

AR pistols are considered by some to be suspect due to the short barrel and weaker ballistics vs a 10, 14, or 16 inch barel.

The Ammo oracle and testing suggests that heavier is better as far as ammo goes.

I know that 70+ ammo will fragment.

55 grain ammo won't.

Now, consider for a second the 5.7 pistol.

It is essentially a cut down 5.56 round, witha  40 grain projectile.

40 grains won't fragment, definately not out of a 7 inch barrel, and not out of a 4 inch barrel.

Tests I've seen suggest 9-10 inches of penetration, and the round does tumble.

Considering the 5.7 is essentially a TRUE 5.56 (+.14) pistol, here's my questions:

Is the 5.7 a wonder pistol/weapon platform (ie. P90) that provides armor penetration or a 20 shot ice pick?

Followup: In keeping with that line, if the 5.7 is a wonder pistol/weapon platform, wouldn't the AR pistol be an even better weapon platform?

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean like this?

http://www.rhinelandarms.com/
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
go down range, let someone shoot you with it..........report back with the results.
I dont think you'll report back........

Is that a good enough answer
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Bullets don't care what cartridge launched them or what weapon shot them.

A 40gr bullet at 1600fps is still a 40gr bullet @1600fps whether from a tricked out AR or a FiveSeven.  The 40gr bullet used in the 5.7 is the Hornady V-Max, it is a rapid expanding varmint bullet, it also is not capable of defeating soft body armor out of the 5.7.    

Considering that a full power .223 55gr  is considered a poor stopper below 2500 fps, and the 5.7 can't even get a 55gr over around 1400 fps I don't see where there is any question.

The 5.7 is an excellent armor piercing handgun with the military only ammo.   The P90 is a very good subgun because of its controllability, high rate of fire, and AP capability.    The whole reason, be all and end all of the 5.7 is its AP capability.   It was designed from the ground up to replace 9mm, and provide armor piercing capability.    

The 5.7 cartridge in a U.S. semi-auto, with the civy ammo available, leaves a lot to be desired.

Its more of an ice pick.  Or small varmint gun.   Anytime the 5.7 controversy comes up, think of this:  When was the last time the .22 Hornet was proposed as a good defensive round?  and the .22 Hornet has the 5.7 beat ballistically.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's put it this way.....an agency that an instructor I have met shot a few people with 5.7....then went back to 5.56 so they wouldn't have to fire 17 rounds to get the bad guy down.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top