BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Am I the only that is worried about all the holes Ruger added to the bolt and receiver?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Am I the only that is worried about all the holes Ruger added to the bolt and receiver?
View Quote
Yes.

Along with the hole on each side of the upper receiver there is also a vent hole where the gas tube enters that is about the size of those two holes combined.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heavily_armed] [#3]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
View Quote

Worried no, but am curious if magwell grip leads to burning surprise.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
To change out the rail on these, do they take standard AR15 rails and barrel nuts or are they .308 specific?  The way the gas block touches the inside of the stock rail isn’t ideal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Wespe:
To change out the rail on these, do they take standard AR15 rails and barrel nuts or are they .308 specific?  The way the gas block touches the inside of the stock rail isn’t ideal.
View Quote

What standard?  Mose rails have their own barrel nut so there really isn't a "standard" other than mil-spec delta ring assy.  I'd expect to change the rail would require removal of the existing barrel nut and all the stuff in the way to get there, and replacing with your rail/nut of choice.  If the gas blocks journal isn't dimpled you should be able to tweak a misaligned gas block so it doesn't touch.  If you want more room in the rail that is another story.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

What standard?  Mose rails have their own barrel nut so there really isn't a "standard" other than mil-spec delta ring assy.  I'd expect to change the rail would require removal of the existing barrel nut and all the stuff in the way to get there, and replacing with your rail/nut of choice.  If the gas blocks journal isn't dimpled you should be able to tweak a misaligned gas block so it doesn't touch.  If you want more room in the rail that is another story.
View Quote

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that .308 guns would use a larger barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that .308 guns would use a larger barrel nut.
View Quote

Large frame .308 guns do use a larger barrel nut.  But the interior dimensions of the barrel nut are not relative to the outside radius of the barrel nut which has to match the interior dimension of the handguard.  There are handguards with many different interior dimensions and each comes with a barrel nut that will fit the appropriate upper receiver.

That said, the SFAR uses AR-15 upper receiver dimensions.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
do they take standard AR15 rails and barrel nuts
View Quote
Yes, the receiver is threaded 1.25x18
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Unless it is within say 10 or 20 thou at rest or loaded by sling/bipod, it'll touch after the bullet is gone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Originally Posted By WI_Bill:
What's ruger's plan for ensuring no gas block/handguard contact?  Seems as if one or both need a size change?  A little worried about my 16 inch now.  Even if there's no contact at rest, what about when things are bouncing around at firing?
Unless it is within say 10 or 20 thou at rest or loaded by sling/bipod, it'll touch after the bullet is gone.

By my measurements the top of the gas block is .420" and the gas tube channel in the factory handguard (as well as most aftermarket handguards is .440".  That means with the gas block perfectly centered, there's no more than .010" clearance.  Entirely too little IMHO and I've seen accuracy problems with more clearance than that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:
Does anyone know if a free float tube with a 1.5 inner diameter would clear the factory gas block?

View Quote

I doubt there's a 2" ID handguard made that will give clearance for the factory Ruger gas block unless you go with a 12" free float tube that terminates behind the gas block.  The factory Ruger adjustable gas block is very tall and wide compared to any others that are designed to fit inside a handguard.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:

I doubt there's a 2" ID handguard made that will give clearance for the factory Ruger gas block unless you go with a 12" free float tube that terminates behind the gas block.  The factory Ruger adjustable gas block is very tall and wide compared to any others that are designed to fit inside a handguard.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/763/IMG_20230223_125910598_jpg-2757803.JPG
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Thank you
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/763/IMG_20230223_125910598_jpg-2757803.JPG

Thank you

You sure on 2" I'd? You're not measuring from the center of the barrel
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I'll be buying SLR gas blocks for mine
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jakezor:

View Quote

If you look at his pic you can see the center of the gas block is less than 1" from the top.  Looks to be a little more than 3/4" but less than 7/8" so a handgurad with a 2" interior diameter would clear with room to spare.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#16]

If you look at his pic you can see the center of the gas block is less than 1" from the top.  Looks to be a little more than 3/4" but less than 7/8" so a handgurad with a 2" interior diameter would clear with room to spare.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jakezor:

There's exactly one handguard that big that I know of.  It's made in Canada.  Everything else averages 1.3-1.8.  And any of them will work on the SFAR.  The channel that the gas block and tube nest in is generally around .440-.460 in width.  With a gas block that's .420 wide, the best option is to get a new gas block.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:47:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marex] [#17]
Would something like the Riflespeed gas system work for those having gas block/rail intereference? I have no experience with the system or seen one in person but it seems like it might be an option that keeps adjustable functionality.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Marex:
Would something like the Riflespeed gas system work for those having gas block/rail intereference? I have no experience with the system or seen one in person but it seems like it might be an option that keeps adjustable functionality.
View Quote
Most modern adjustable gas blocks aren't as chunky as the Ruger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By November5:
Most modern adjustable gas blocks aren't as chunky as the Ruger.
View Quote

Not disagreeing but I was speaking more for convenience sake. Not all adjustable gas blocks are readily adjustable, especially on the fly or with full length handguards.

One of the attributes of the SFAR that I find beneficial is the ability to easily acess the gas block adjustment and the ability to do so without specialized tools.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Rail is too long on the 16 inch, would not be able to twist the adjustment.

I'm considering an SLR but hate losing the ball end hex that keeps in the rifle.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:

Rail is too long on the 16 inch, would not be able to twist the adjustment.

I'm considering an SLR but hate losing the ball end hex that keeps in the rifle.

View Quote

Bummer. Thanks for the fyi.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I’ll let you know, I have a 16in sfar on the way. along with the longest rifle speed adjustable block, and a geissele mk16.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 4:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#23]
View Quote
It's pretty straightforward to go to riflespeed's website and use their calculator to determine what would work based on gas system (mid), handguard and barrel length.

https://www.riflespeed.com/Choose-your-Gas-Control_ep_41.html

Also keep in mind that this gun uses AR15 handguards, so you can also just change out the handguard to something that works better for you. You could even just get a 9" midlength freefloat handguard that leaves the Ruger gas block exposed.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't had the issue, just threw an idea out there for those that have had problems. Appreciate the responses. Exiting left.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Their calculator says no, but if you use their numbers. 9.3in(Mid-Length distance) plus the longest gas block they sell 5.8in, comes to 15.1in so it should come even with the end of the rail.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Just picked up a 16” this morning

Trying to figure out what optic to put on it.

I’m thinking a vortex strike eagle 1x8
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#27]
So is the Odin gas block the best option for something to fit under a 15” Geissele Mk8?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heavily_armed] [#28]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
Let us know what they say please!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:

I contacted Ruger and explained how I could not get a feeler gauge between the block and handguard. They offered to look at it. Fedex picked up the rifle (Ruger did not want just the upper, they wanted the whole rifle) from the house yesterday. This is one of the few ways we can ship rifles anymore--Fedex pickup from residence in my case, requires signature when dropped off.
Let us know what they say please!

So they replaced the barrel and gas block. Consistent with all the witness marks I applied to the barrel and gas block before shipping are gone, the rest remain.

One week turnaround door to door. Good job Ruger.

Should get it to the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:

https://i.postimg.cc/nV2RWQkk/ruger1.png

So they replaced the barrel and gas block. Consistent with all the witness marks I applied to the barrel and gas block before shipping are gone, the rest remain.

One week turnaround door to door. Good job Ruger.

Should get it to the range this weekend.
View Quote
Interesting

Let us know how it does
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
So is the Odin gas block the best option for something to fit under a 15” Geissele Mk8?
View Quote

That's what I went with just because it was available off the shelf locally, but I think just about any aftermarket low profile gas block will be a better fit than the factory Ruger gas block.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting

Let us know how it does
View Quote
Would have been more interesting to have before and after accuracy reports to see what changes if any there are.

I did get the replacement firing pin for my rifle today and it glides back and fourth in the bolt like butter. Haven't fired any rounds with it yet but should be gtg I think.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Took mine out this morning and tried out a few loads with the can on it.  It seems to like 135 grain SMKs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:15:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heavily_armed] [#33]
Range day Sunday was a little frustrating to start but got better. SFAR unsuppressed would not function consistently on gas setting #2. As this was discovered while sighting in a new optic, well it was pissing me off. Recovering from one malf had me ramming the SiCO charging handle against a wooden post to extract a round, the SiCO CH did not handle this well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#34]
About to buy,  has anybody actually cut a 20" down to 16" ? Any cons? I've skimmed this thread but didn't find a definitive answer. Please respond before this buzz wears off and I change my mind
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#35]
So yall that have one what are the overall ratings 1-10 on it? Ima hold off on one for now but interested in opinions.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Where's the best place to grab one of these?
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
View Quote

gun.deals
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

gun.deals
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:

gun.deals

Follow every link on gun.deals and sign up for email notification for every one that supports it. (BTW vendors, fuck you if want me to create an account to get emails to buy your shit)

This one came to my inbox earlier this week, but is now sold out. Price was $9xx

https://shop.spiguns.com/ruger-nib-5610
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Has anyone else had accuracy issues with their SFAR?  I've tried five different rounds including loadings from Winchester, Remington, Federal, Norma and Black Hills. My 50 yard 3 shot groups are 2 ish plus inches. I've checked my suppressor (Nomad LT), muzzle device, ADM optic mount as well as the optic. NXS 2.5-10.  With other rifles I'm a sub MOA shooter. What else can I check?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AKJEFF:
Has anyone else had accuracy issues with their SFAR?  I've tried five different rounds including loadings from Winchester, Remington, Federal, Norma and Black Hills. My 50 yard 3 shot groups are 2 ish plus inches. I've checked my suppressor (Nomad LT), muzzle device, ADM optic mount as well as the optic. NXS 2.5-10.  With other rifles I'm a sub MOA shooter. What else can I check?
View Quote
you could check the gas block touching the handguard.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#41]
What else can I check?
View Quote

Have you shot it without the suppressor?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Have you shot it without the suppressor?
View Quote

Only a few rounds of the Black Hills but the group was very open also.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
View Quote
I think it's this thread where we've been discussing the gas block issue. It's so big that it doesn't fit very well under a handguard, and is very likely contacting the handguard during firing, which might be giving you grouping issues.

You can check what kind of space there is between the gas block and the inside of the handguard.

The SFAR takes any AR15 handguard, so technically you could trade it out with something shorter that doesn't cover the gas block.

Before investing in going that direct, though, it might be beneficial to just remove the handguard and fire a few rounds with the gun resting on the magazine and nothing touching the barrel. It isn't ideal for precision, but it might give you enough feedback to conclude that this is the variable that's giving you issues (ie. groups tighten up without handguard).
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I think it's this thread where we've been discussing the gas block issue. It's so big that it doesn't fit very well under a handguard, and is very likely contacting the handguard during firing, which might be giving you grouping issues.

You can check what kind of space there is between the gas block and the inside of the handguard.

The SFAR takes any AR15 handguard, so technically you could trade it out with something shorter that doesn't cover the gas block.

Before investing in going that direct, though, it might be beneficial to just remove the handguard and fire a few rounds with the gun resting on the magazine and nothing touching the barrel. It isn't ideal for precision, but it might give you enough feedback to conclude that this is the variable that's giving you issues (ie. groups tighten up without handguard).
View All Quotes

I'm wondering if this is the issue?  Just went to look and while it's difficult to tell with the picture it appears contact has been or is being made. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#45]
So mine shot well enough that I decided to take it completely apart, and Cerakote it, and add a bunch of parts.

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sagillman:
So mine shot well enough that I decided to take it completely apart, and Cerakote it, and add a bunch of parts.
https://i.imgur.com/8s15R0A.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3DWqeQU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Y355hv6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XCUueLO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J36vuzN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Q3ghPxt.jpg
View Quote

PRS Gas Gun?
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

PRS Gas Gun?
View Quote

I’m thinking I might shoot some local matches with it. I was pretty amazed how well it shot 147gr Norma ball (1.25-1.5in 5 shot) with the factory GB damn near touching the handguard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stonia] [#48]
The gas block thing is interesting. Hopefully Ruger addresses it.  Being all but required  to change parts on a brand new rifle is holding me back.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah, I mean the factory gas block felt extremely well-made. It just needed to be a little smaller. I would definitely go with it over an SLR, if they were to tweak the size a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Tracking shows Ruger will receive my SFAR Monday. I'll be sure to post updates.  Hope it's an easy fix.
Page / 36
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top