Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 1:12:25 AM EDT
you guys talkin about this yet? the ati is like 500 for full gun, with poly lower, could part out lower and be ahead compared to this thing (ifc?)

lolz at cheaper than dirt... just an easy google

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ifc-iron-armi-410-aru-shotgun-complete-upper-receiver-assembly-185-barrel-2-1-2-chamber-standard-a2-handguard-black-finish-7-410aru.do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3vXdimWcG8

accoring to IFC website, its italian, so that sounds better... and " gas operated" but in pics it looks like a piston setup.....not DI, like i assume we would be talking about in an AR
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I found two options.

Both have 2 and a 1/2" chambers. EDIT: To remove my error.

Just thinking about the UTAS XTR bolt. It is delicate, fragile and complicated. It was the latest of a long history of failures. Even with the lower energy and smaller diameter of the .410 round it is difficult to stuff it into an ar upper. I think shotgun uppers might have become popular if any of them had been even partially successful. Maybe if one designer had been less ambitious. An Armalite Ar-10t .300 rsaum could be adapted to .410. But I still would not expect it to feed particularly well.

I can not even recommend someone else try these uppers and post the results.

The Akdal akm is a functional shotgun. It starts with a sound design and only later grafts the stock, grip, magazine well and selector lever of the ar onto it. It is not the least bit cross compatible with an ar. But, it feels familiar to anyone who has handled one. It really does not look like an ar, but, the ergonomics might mimic one. IF these uppers work... they would be better than an Adkal. I just do not expect that they actually will.

DB

EDIT TO ADD: no I do not own one, no I have not used nor have I even handled one. If you have actual experience, can state that it is a sound design, I will happily correct this post.

I remain willing to make corrections...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found two options.

Both have 2 and a 1/2" chambers but the standard ar lower and magazine will limit the user to 2" shells.

Just thinking about the UTAS XTR bolt. It is delicate, fragile and complicated. It was the latest of a long history of failures. Even with the lower energy and smaller diameter of the .410 round it is difficult to stuff it into an ar upper. I think shotgun uppers might have become popular if any of them had been even partially successful. Maybe if one designer had been less ambitious. An Armalite Ar-10t .300 rsaum could be adapted to .410. But I still would not expect it to feed particularly well.

I can not even recommend someone else try these uppers and post the results.

The Akdal akm is a functional shotgun. It starts with a sound design and only later grafts the stock, grip, magazine well and selector lever of the ar onto it. It is not the least bit cross compatible with an ar. But, it feels familiar to anyone who has handled one. It really does not look like an ar, but, the ergonomics might mimic one. IF these uppers work... they would be better than an Adkal. I just do not expect that they actually will.

DB

EDIT TO ADD: no I do not own one, no I have not used nor have I even handled one. If you have actual experience, can state that it is a sound design, I will happily correct this post.
View Quote
  410 shotgun are either 2.5 inch chamber or 3 inch chamber.  A 223/55.6 is 2.26 inch overall length.  A 2.5 inch 410 shell when crimped is ~2.25 inches long.  Shotgun chamber lengths are for the unfolded/fired shell length not the crimped shell length.  There is no problem with putting 2.5 inch 410 shells in a magazine designed to fit in a standard AR lower.   Not sure how much validity that lends to the rest of your post.

There have been several 410 uppers developed and sold.   The performance of the 410 shotgun put this in the novelty category for many and I think this is the reason they have never been a big commercial success, at least not here in the US.

https://internationalfirearmcorporation.com/products/iron-armi-of-italy/ifc-410/

Had I not moved out of Ohio and/or the deer hunting laws changed to allow straight wall rifle cartridges I would have bought one to deer hunt with.  I hunted deer for years with a Winchester 9410 and 410 slugs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Turn Your AR Into A .410 Shotgun

Link to their site.

Its neat but it would be much cooler if they offered a 8" "pistol" model.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BOmubDz26M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3vXdimWcG8

Link to their site.

Its neat but it would be much cooler if they offered a 8" "pistol" model.
View Quote
It would have to be a rifled barrel to be legal would it not?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It would have to be a rifled barrel to be legal would it not?
View Quote
I am not sure, I was wanting it for a SBR lower. But puting this on a SBR lower would that make it a SBS?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen enough AR shotgun uppers flop to make me second guess this.
If you get this one from Italy or the UTAS pot metal turd, where do you get extra parts for them?  How much are extra magazines?  When the bolt falls apart or the extractor breaks, you're left with your thumb in your bum.  Even the $1400 genesis upper receiver is backed by a company who has 0 other products in their portfolio.  They might not be around when you need replacement parts 2 years down the road.  I'd be more optimistic if there was a reputable company building these.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am not sure, I was wanting it for a SBR lower. But puting this on a SBR lower would that make it a SBS?
View Quote
Yes it would make is an SBS if barrel was less then 18.5, and if you put it on an SBR lower you would need another stamp and change how that lower is registered (that info came from an ATF agent a few years ago so take it at face value). But I think someone could build one as a Firearm same line as the Mossberg 590 Shockwave from a stripped lower and use an arm brace then cut barrel back so overall length meets the 26" minimum. In that config I would make a great portable firearm as long as you could get it to run after cutting it down.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In that config I would make a great portable firearm as long as you could get it to run after cutting it down.
View Quote
That's a lot of effort to build yourself a taurus judge for 4x the cost.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The cut down 410 upper on this lower:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/18/fightlite-industries-raider/

LOL now we are totally getting silly...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
LMFAO.  I wonder what they do to reduce friction all up the sides of the buffer tube.  I can imagine the buffer, tube, and spring rubbing each other raw like a group of college aged liberal type dudes on ecstasy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In that config I would make a great portable firearm as long as you could get it to run after cutting it down.
Then I guess a 9mm AR built on a Glock lower is just an expensive Glock 17???
I think that building a 410 in a firearm configuration has merit the same as an SBS, is it for everyone nope, is it the best hunting gun nope, would I defend myself with it yes (with correct ammo) and feel well armed yes.  It would also have 3X the capacity of the judge with the ATI 15 round mags. So I think it IS more than an just expensive judge. Just my .02 on it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Now that is an idea...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
therein lies the issue and coupled with replacement parts could have some issues....buuuuuut anything worth doin isnt easy, so, i will prob snag one before long unless i see some reviews with overwhelming negative issues... not fixable issues, just fubar type issues...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LMFAO.  I wonder what they do to reduce friction all up the sides of the buffer tube.  I can imagine the buffer, tube, and spring rubbing each other raw like a group of college aged liberal type dudes on ecstasy.
View Quote
lolz you win gheyest internet imagination award of the day, hahahahhha
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top