Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2017 9:27:25 PM EDT
Hello.  New guy here.  

Please forgive me for asking a basic question that's probably been answered SOMEWHERE. It's a big site, lots of topics,
and I don't have a team membership yet so searching is not easy.

I want to add an SR-25 TYPE rifle to my inventory.   I like to build rifles myself, hopefully for a cost savings.

I've built a few ARs over the years and they all run great so I'm competent if not an expert.

If I build it myself, I want to build it from parts that are all compatible with the KAC SR-25.

What brands and types does that limit me to, for the upper, lower, and other related parts?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at the LaRue upper kit that they sell.

LMT 308s are also SR25 compatible.

Note that Armalite's AR10 is not completely SR25 compatible.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a PSA PA10. You cant assembled one for what they charge.
I paid $525 which included the transfer, and....

It runs like a dream and is around 1.000" @ 100 yards.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a PSA PA10. You cant assembled one for what they charge.
I paid $525 which included the transfer, and....

It runs like a dream and is around 1.000" @ 100 yards.
View Quote
You might have gotten your self a good deal, but unlike what the OP asked for that is not a SR25 compatible firearm.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I do appreciate the suggestions and I'll look at everything but I really want to  EVENTUALLY get as close to an SR25 or Mk11 Mod 0 as my budget will allow.

Mod 0 or mod 1?   I gather that the difference is in the fore end rail system.  Mod 1 uses the KAC URX, Mod 0 uses the FF RAS.   The difference to me at this point makes no difference.

For simple personal preference I would choose the A2 style stock or better yet the adjustable A2 style stock found on the M110 SASS.  

I don't really care if I don't save a lot of money in the long run,  I want to do this build over time,  be patient,  get the right parts,  spend the money a bit at at time so it doesn't hurt so much.

I already have a Mk12 Mod 1.  Aside from the brand of lower receiver I chose and the barrel manufacturer (White Oak Armaments) it's 100 percent compliant to the Crane specs.

If I actually start building this new rifle I don't want to make any parts choices that make it impossible to exactly replicate a Mk11 or SR25.  

So, starting at the core, the upper and lower have to be fit and function compatible with the KAC parts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to clone SR-25 variants, the receiver set is going to be your biggest problem.

Genesis CNC was making a pretty accurate set, but they like to take your money and then vanish off the face of the earth myself and many others have placed orders and received either some or none of it and are unable to get any response from the company

Aside from that, your only options are buying a complete SR-25 and parting out what you do/don't need, or individual receiver components come up for sale but you're gonna pay $$$ for them
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Perusing the EE I found some KAC items related to the SR25, MK11, and M110.  

Apparently they are neither common nor cheap.

I predict this build will take a while.  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top