Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2017 3:47:54 PM EDT
I received my new Faxon barrel, took it to my gunsmith who installed it for me. I took it to the range, zeroed it and then pulled out my AMAX 155's to see what this barrel would do. It replaced the cheap PSA stainless steel barrel on my PA-10 Gen2.

I noticed right away that the PSA barrel actually got better groups on all ammo. The best group I got with the 155 AMAX's was a 1.8" group. I was able to get 2.2" with 168 SMK. But things got way more uglier when I pulled out the 150gr Hornady Interlock Soft Points. They hit all over the place! The best 5 shot group was 3.8"! The PSA barrel pulled 1.2" with that same bullet and load. I checked the scope and everything checked out. I then tried some Tula and got a 2.3" group (TULA!) I then got a 2.2" with some Perfecta (FMJ) 147gr. Something serious is wrong with this barrel.

When I shoot I load the 5 rounds I want to use in the group and a 6th one under those so that the bolt doesn't lock back. After I fire the 5 I eject the 6th one. I used about 3 different SP rounds as the 6th. I looked at them and noticed that they were really messed up. The lead tip was very misshapen but the sides of the bullet had deep gouges and the brass was also gouged. I ran my fingertip along the feed ramps of the barrel and almost cut myself. The feed ramps are really sharp and I think they are the reason this barrel sucks so bad. HP and FMJ shoots better than the SP (which is horrible), but even they do not perform anywhere close to what they should.

I have a call into Faxon to see what they have to say. But so far, I am very disappointed in this product. I think it is probably good product, even very good, but you need to check the feed ramps before you install the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a call from Faxon. Very quick and very professional. They say they will replace the barrel. So far so good. I really should have checked the feed ramps before I had the barrel installed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got a call from Faxon. Very quick and very professional. They say they will replace the barrel. So far so good. I really should have checked the feed ramps before I had the barrel installed.
View Quote
I'm thinking about a faxon barrel
But really shouldn't this sort of thing be checked BEFORE it leaves them?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've bought ONE Faxon barrel... it was in a group buy... it came with rust...
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, it should. I think this sort of thing happens to every company from time to time. So far, Faxon is eager to make it right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I might have the same barrel, 20" heavy fluted 416R 308, not the newer match version. got it from JoeBob for $240.  yes the feed ramps are sharp, but not any sharper than other barrels I've purchased, maybe I'm a bottom feeder and only buy cheap cost-effective barrels?  anyways, before I mount the barrel, I now debur the sharp edges with an abrasive stone file by hand, trying to follow the guidelines in the Hellbender guide posted in the Precision/Semi-Auto forum.  Only reason I mention this is because I observed similar results (100yds) as OP just last week, so I don't think it's the sharp edges of the feed ramps.  At the same time I had my 20" AR-15 7.62x39 out at the range and it was better than my 308 (before & after), so I know i wasn't having a really crappy shooting day.  I tried 3 different kinds of ammo, culminating with a few rounds of 168gr SMK BTHP GMM, and then gave up after that, didn't want to waste any more expensive ammo.  I'm currently dissassembling the upper, inspecting the lower, to see if there's anything I missed, gonna check out the barrel bore & chamber with a bore cam.  maybe take a good look at the crown, and then reassemble and try it again.  might try a different optic/mount just to rule that out.  I did verify the headspace with go, no-go gages and it was good with my Aero BCG.  I have other Faxon barrels and they are terrific, so just want to rule things out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I might have the same barrel, 20" heavy fluted 416R 308, not the newer match version. got it from JoeBob for $240.  yes the feed ramps are sharp, but not any sharper than other barrels I've purchased, maybe I'm a bottom feeder and only buy cheap cost-effective barrels?  anyways, before I mount the barrel, I now debur the sharp edges with an abrasive stone file by hand, trying to follow the guidelines in the Hellbender guide posted in the Precision/Semi-Auto forum.  Only reason I mention this is because I observed similar results (100yds) as OP just last week, so I don't think it's the sharp edges of the feed ramps.  At the same time I had my 20" AR-15 7.62x39 out at the range and it was better than my 308 (before & after), so I know i wasn't having a really crappy shooting day.  I tried 3 different kinds of ammo, culminating with a few rounds of 168gr SMK BTHP GMM, and then gave up after that, didn't want to waste any more expensive ammo.  I'm currently dissassembling the upper, inspecting the lower, to see if there's anything I missed, gonna check out the barrel bore & chamber with a bore cam.  maybe take a good look at the crown, and then reassemble and try it again.  might try a different optic/mount just to rule that out.  I did verify the headspace with go, no-go gages and it was good with my Aero BCG.  I have other Faxon barrels and they are terrific, so just want to rule things out.
View Quote
I got mine from JoeBob's as well. I actually looked at all my AR's including my buddy's 2 300BO's he had at the range. None of them were sharp like this one. I nearly cut my finger on it. The brass and ejected rounds had gouges and scratches all over them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
So, I got the barrel sent back to Faxon. They emailed me and informed me that they do not make that particular barrel in 18" anymore. SOOOO, one of the reps told me that they are going to send me their Match Grade barrel as a substitute. sigh, well if you're gonna twist my arm, I guess I'll just have to settle for the upgraded barrel . . . hahaha.

But all joking aside. Faxon customer support 5 thumbs up! It will ship next week and hopefully I can put some rounds through it very soon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
As a person also disappointed by a 308 heavy fluted faxon I'm quite interested in the "match series" performance in comparison
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have yet to get my new setup dialed in so cannot report on 18 Bull barrel accuracy yet either....just got it bore sighted and hope to check it out soon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 20" Faxon barrel that had incredibly sharp feed ramps! I checked with Nathan about polishing and taking the edges off, no, would not void warranty! So I did, looks great know and feeds clean and ejects perfect! Brass is spotless!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As a person also disappointed by a 308 heavy fluted faxon I'm quite interested in the "match series" performance in comparison
View Quote
I have one of their match 20" fluted 5R barrels. So far its decent with a few groups right at 1".
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
A 10-twist barrel and 155's are not the best combination.   Some might work, some not but I would want at least a 12-twist if I wanted the best possibility of excellent accuracy with the lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A 10-twist barrel and 155's are not the best combination.   Some might work, some not but I would want at least a 12-twist if I wanted the best possibility of excellent accuracy with the lighter bullets.
View Quote
Yes I know 155's are a little light. But my old cheapo PSA barrel with 1:10 came in .3" tighter with those 155's. I did try some 168's and 180's and they were all equally bad.

Since you brought it up, what do you recommend for Faxon's match series in 1:10?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes I know 155's are a little light. But my old cheapo PSA barrel with 1:10 came in .3" tighter with those 155's. I did try some 168's and 180's and they were all equally bad.

Since you brought it up, what do you recommend for Faxon's match series in 1:10?
View Quote
Find something it likes. 1:10 is definitely not too fast for 155s. Same as people who say 1:7 in 5.56 is too fast for the lighter bullets, just not true. All my 1:7 guns love 50g AE.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would have suggested the 168's so if they didn't work than you probably do have a barrel issue.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
In my pre-match series heavy fluted barrel I tried match 168s, 175s and 178s.  The heavier ones grouped better but still weren't what I'd call "good" (1.75-2moa).

Definitely interested in a range report on the match series line
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I am interested in the match grade performance also. My 18" cheapo stainless  PA10 upper groups better than my 20" heavy fluted faxon barreled precision based .308
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am interested in the match grade performance also. My 18" cheapo stainless  PA10 upper groups better than my 20" heavy fluted faxon barreled precision based .308
View Quote
Don't disrespect those PSA barrels. For the price, they are really good. My .308 SS PSA got right at 1 moa with some cheap SP reloads I loaded up. I've seen the same performance out of their 5.56 SS barrels as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In my pre-match series heavy fluted barrel I tried match 168s, 175s and 178s.  The heavier ones grouped better but still weren't what I'd call "good" (1.75-2moa).

Definitely interested in a range report on the match series line
View Quote
When my new trigger comes in, I'll take it to the range and give you guys a full report
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Don't disrespect those PSA barrels. For the price, they are really good. My .308 SS PSA got right at 1 moa with some cheap SP reloads I loaded up. I've seen the same performance out of their 5.56 SS barrels as well.
View Quote
I tend to agree with that statement.   I have two of them and one is  MOA with 168 loads.   The other one I have shot not as much but I have not found a load it like either.  I am considering switching barrels to a 6 Creedmoor or a 7/08.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#21]
i really wanted to get one of the faxon lightweight 308 barrels, but the more i google the more i see bad / medicore reports.

to many quality manufactures to try and chase a lemon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a faxon medium profile 16in 308 barrel.  It shoots a very consistent 1in at 100yds with 168 TAP.  Not bad for a light barreled gas gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a faxon medium profile 16in 308 barrel.  It shoots a very consistent 1in at 100yds with 168 TAP.  Not bad for a light barreled gas gun.
View Quote
i see these great reviews everywhere, but it is the few terrible reviews that make me wonder.

i expect a $250 barrel to shoot 1" groups with good ammo, it's a real turn off when you read otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I am starting a new thread for the new Match barrel Faxon sent me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#25]
all my other Faxon barrels shoot great:  9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39 and other 308's.  it's only this Faxon heavy fluted barrel (not the Match series) that seems to be the exception, which is the subject of this thread.  i think they might have gotten a bad batch of blanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top