BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Am I the only one who's cocking an eye at 2 low post count (3) new members with the exact same issue in the same thread?

Seems a bit odd to me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I the only one who's cocking an eye at 2 low post count (3) new members with the exact same issue in the same thread?

Seems a bit odd to me.
View Quote
Nope, you are not the only one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Impulse purchased a 6.5 cm hunter on Saturday, and tried it out today.  Barrel seems tight, gas and springs well set up and appears to have very good accuracy potential.  Not beating up brass, no case head swipe and rims don't deform.  Gas set just a touch conservative, and moved it back one click to the 11th click from fully closed. Can't be definitive about accuracy till trigger gets replaced, it is that bad (knew that when bought it, thought it would smooth out some).  Only put 20 rounds of Hdy factory 140 gn A-max through it @ 2645 fps

The muzzle break works extremely well for what it is supposed to do. Probably order RR 2 stage trigger for it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd recommend a Geissele, myself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Am open to any recommendations, never had to replace a trigger before.  Looking for dependable 4-4.5 lb 2 stage with clean break.  Am familiar with the RR 2 stage, having several rifles with it and it is inexpensive.  Geiselle had an inexpensive version, but Midway sold out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#6]
RR triggers have failed for me, both I had were doneninside 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
RR triggers have failed for me, both I had were doneninside 1000 rounds.
View Quote
I guess I got a good one in 2003. I have at least 15k rounds with it plus many thousands of dry fires.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I guess I got a good one in 2003. I have at least 15k rounds with it plus many thousands of dry fires.
View Quote
Same.  I have two with a similar round count that are still working great and are some of my smoothest triggers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Well here is an update on the barrel nut situation; Instead of sending the whole rifle back just to tighten the nut I was able to find a barrel nut wrench that fit over Savage's nut. https://unique-ars.com/shop/accessories/barrel-nut-wrench/

It worked great and now that it is properly torqued down I am excited to see how well this will do.

Also concerning triggers, I have this Geissele (B-G2S-E Geissele 2 Stage Enhanced Trigger) installed and love the feel. It is a 2 stage with a clean 4 lb break before break in. The trigger is a Brownells exclusive and cheaper than regular Geisseles
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Am open to any recommendations, never had to replace a trigger before.  Looking for dependable 4-4.5 lb 2 stage with clean break.  Am familiar with the RR 2 stage, having several rifles with it and it is inexpensive.  Geiselle had an inexpensive version, but Midway sold out.
View Quote
Get the LaRue MBT-2S 2-stage trigger.

The only things I don't like about the Savage are the Blackhawk furniture and FCG.

I personally don't want to have anything to do with Blackhawk gear after what they did with Vietnam.

Vista Outdoor Group bought Savage, Federal, and Blackhawk, so that's why we have Blackhawk products in these rifles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I would really like to hear feedback on the long range model.  The buyers don't seem to be giving range reports.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Is there a "compatability" chart anywhere showing which are standard AR15 parts, buffer length, gas length, etc.?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there a "compatability" chart anywhere showing which are standard AR15 parts, buffer length, gas length, etc.?
View Quote
We might have to compile our own; Here is what I know so far

Charging handle - not standard, in between the AR15 and AR10 sizes of BCM gunfighter handles that I tried
Gas Tube - Custom midlength plus
Trigger - Standard AR15/AR10 - Geissele worked
Buffer Tube- Mil Spec diameter
Pistol Grip - Standard AR15
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That sucks. Let us know what they say and do about it.
View Quote
It took six or seven weeks but my rifle has returned to me, with not a single bit of communication from Savage on what was fixed.  I was sending an email the last couple weeks to see what the status was, and never got a reply.  I'll take the rifle to the range this week and see how it performs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We might have to compile our own; Here is what I know so far

Charging handle - not standard, in between the AR15 and AR10 sizes of BCM gunfighter handles that I tried
Gas Tube - Custom midlength plus
Trigger - Standard AR15/AR10 - Geissele worked
Buffer Tube- Mil Spec diameter
Pistol Grip - Standard AR15
View Quote
Has anyone tried a barrel yet, i should have taken pictures and measurements when I had mine off before i sent it in to savage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:56:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Federal was bought a good bit before Vista was in the picture. But correct on the rest.
 What was the Vietnam issue you speak of? I guess I will check my google-foo until I hear back!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only things I don't like about the Savage are the Blackhawk furniture and FCG.

I personally don't want to have anything to do with Blackhawk gear after what they did with Vietnam.

Vista Outdoor Group bought Savage, Federal, and Blackhawk, so that's why we have Blackhawk products in these rifles.
View Quote
Your timelines about Vista and Blackhawk are off.

What exactly do mean regarding Blackhawk & Vietnam?  

Vista Outdoor did not buy any of the companies that you listed.  ATK bought Federal in 2001, Blackhawk in 2010, and Savage in 2013.  In 2015, the commercial side of ATK spun off and formed Vista.  Vista did not buy any of the firearms or ammo related companies in their portfolio.

You are absolutely free to hate Blackhawk for your own reasons.  The AR furniture was designed and produced completely in the US, though.  The FCG parts are also produced in the US.  It only makes sense to leverage these parts between the Vista brands.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Vista Outdoor did not buy any of the companies that you listed.  ATK bought Federal in 2001, Blackhawk in 2010, and Savage in 2013.  In 2015, the commercial side of ATK spun off and formed Vista.  Vista did not buy any of the firearms or ammo related companies in their portfolio.

You are absolutely free to hate Blackhawk for your own reasons.  The AR furniture was designed and produced completely in the US, though.  The FCG parts are also produced in the US.  It only makes sense to leverage these parts between the Vista brands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The above timeline is correct.  Vista Outdoors came last as the sporting goods group spin-off after the merger with Orbital Sciences. Wonder what's coming next now that we're being bought by Northrop.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally got to range, after installing the basic 2 stage geiselle trigger, and removing muzzle brake.  Trigger makes huge difference, and so does putting 40 more rounds through it. Kept brake off it to try direct thread Omega, while keeping it lighter.  Turned gas down to 4th from bottom, adjusted up one step at a time till reliable lock back at #7.  Rifle works very well with suppressor.  No beat up brass or mags  and coating on bcg looks like it will make it easier to clean.  Likely will have to step down my bolt reloads a tad for the gas system.

Pleased enough (accuracy) to buy it a decent scope.  Had a swfa 12x on it to test accuracy, for purpose may go to 2x10, or 3x15. Easy moa at 500 yards with impromptu bag set up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know if the MSR 10 accepts any aftermarket barrels?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I doubt it.  DPMS G2 aftermarket barrels are just now appearing.  Why would you want to change the barrel?  Savage barrels are generally very good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#22]
So no one on this forum has any experience with the MSR Long Range in 308?

I found more emails from Hillary Clinton than any verifiable range info on this thing.

Some reports show it’s a sub MOA gun with its 20” barrel. It would be nice to see some proof.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Are the gas blocks pinned on these guns?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Any shoot or handle the long range model?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Anybody making compatible aftermarket charging handles for these, or know if any aftermarket CH latches will work with the factory handle?

Jake
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anybody making compatible aftermarket charging handles for these, or know if any aftermarket CH latches will work with the factory handle?

Jake
View Quote
Im fairly sure the charging handle is a proprietary length, so no aftermarket support yet. I was able to modify a Strike Industries extended latch to work with msr hunter charging handle.  Pin hole in the latch had to be enlarged slightly to accommodate the larger pin.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Im fairly sure the charging handle is a proprietary length, so no aftermarket support yet. I was able to modify a Strike Industries extended latch to work with msr hunter charging handle.  Pin hole in the latch had to be enlarged slightly to accommodate the larger pin.
View Quote
Thanks!

Jake
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#28]
For anyone looking at one of these, GAG has them for $1,580 shipped. Price has dropped almost a hundred vs a month or so ago.

Edit: specifically the 6.5 long range version
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you!

Was looking at the 6.5 CM Hunter version at Academy yesterday -- looks pretty good, but I'm looking for a Long Range rifle at this point.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#30]
What factory ammunition are people using in the 6.5 Creedmoor Long Range for best accuracy?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Hi together,

I live in Germany and I am in the Market for the Savage MSR 10 Hunter as my hunting rifle.
I build AR15 Rifles normally myself and for friends.

So when I get the MSR10, I want to upgrade the MSR10 with the following components:

*Magpul UBR 2.0 Stock - does this Stock fit the MSR 10
*Magpul Grip - I understand a AR15 grip is needed

*Ambi Safety
*(Maybe Ambi Bolt Release)
*Ambi Mag Release

Can I use AR15 parts here or do I have to use AR10 Parts?

Thank you for your input!
kind regards
Niko
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Just bought a msr10 hunter on a whim. First AR10 type for me.  Been waiting on a Mlok 901, but I doubt that will be available anytime soon if ever. Looked it over and got that tingly feeling. First impressions as follows.

Receivers are well done and have a decent interface. A little wobble. Lower has a spring plunger in the usual tension screw location under upper takedown boss. Appears to be capable of removal with grip removed; don't know if amount of tension is adjustable. Takedown and pivot pins are considerably larger diameter than AR15 standard .250. A5 length extension. I think it's a std carbine buffer.  Same length. Don't have a scale to check weight. No staking on the castle nut (OMG!). Extension has a cheap look to me. A little too much sheen on the anodizing. Interior is smooth tho. No dry lube. Trigger is a nickel boron coated mil spec type. Feels about as shitty as any other new mil spec. Stock and grip are fucking junk. They were gone before I had my shoes off.  Replaced mag catch. Threaded shaft end was not riveted to bar. Selector is not as smooth as I would like. Decent appears cadmium plates and sharp. May be the raceway in the selector itself.

BCG is well machined. Only negative on it is that the roll pin for the ejectors is mashed on one end. Can't complain too much on that as I've seen same on a Colt. I will replace it. Upper and handguard fit is outstanding. Perfect alignment between top rails on each.  Barrel is perfectly centered in handguard.  Barrel is fluted from receiver to gas block journal. Gas block is held with set screws. Set screws are staked. Light staking but any heavier I would expect the screws would be impossible to remove without stripping Allen key. Have not had any chance to examine the adjustment mechanism in gas block. Gas block is perfectly timed.  Muzzle break is simplistic. It will go.

Will get a MBT trigger.  Not sure on the muzzle device yet. If the barrel shoots anywhere near as well as savage barrels usually do, it will outshoot me.

Oh yeah, it's 6.5 creedmoor. So my first AR10 is a small frame and it's not 308.  This is all the result of reading the thoughts of LRRP52.  Thanks for your insights sir.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Niko,

It takes standard AR grips. I am thinking a UBR as well. It should be easy swap since the rifle already has an A5 extension.. Takes standard AR safety from what I can see.  Std mag catch as well. I think you will like it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Niko,

It takes standard AR grips. I am thinking a UBR as well. It should be easy swap since the rifle already has an A5 extension.. Takes standard AR safety from what I can see.  Std mag catch as well. I think you will like it.
View Quote
Thank you for the info my friend!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I recently bought a MSR 10 Hunter in 308.  I'd like to replace the trigger with an  Elftmann trigger. My dilema is do I use one for an AR-15 or for the 308.  The Elftmann page says the 308 trigger is for a mil spec AR-10, which I don't think this thing is.  Comparing the Savage to my Colt AR-15 (LE 6920) the layout of the trigger and trigger pins looks identical.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I recently bought a MSR 10 Hunter in 308.  I'd like to replace the trigger with an  Elftmann trigger. My dilema is do I use one for an AR-15 or for the 308.  The Elftmann page says the 308 trigger is for a mil spec AR-10, which I don't think this thing is.  Comparing the Savage to my Colt AR-15 (LE 6920) the layout of the trigger and trigger pins looks identical.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone know when Savage made a change to the adjustable gas block on the MSR10? Mine has an external stainless u shaped spring that squeezes the adjustment knob. I watched a video put out by savage on how to adjust the gas and the gas block shown in the video has no such spring: it looks like there is an internal detent for the adjustment knob. Any idea on which design is later? Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does anyone know when Savage made a change to the adjustable gas block on the MSR10? Mine has an external stainless u shaped spring that squeezes the adjustment knob. I watched a video put out by savage on how to adjust the gas and the gas block shown in the video has no such spring: it looks like there is an internal detent for the adjustment knob. Any idea on which design is later? Thanks for the info.
View Quote
What? Savage is making design changes on the fly? Inconceivable!

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I received my “New In Box” Savage MSR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor 3 weeks ago.  I Purchased on Gunbroker and had it shipped to local FFL.  Box was undamaged.  Upon opening the box and sighing down the handguard and barrel, I could immediately see the barrel was off to the left.  Upon measuring it, was a little over 1/8” off to the left, at the end of the handguard.  Further, this was causing the adjustable gas block to be jammed against the left side of the handguard, and causing the barrel to be no longer “free floated” in the handguard.   The handguard was straight/not bent.  Barrel does not look bent.  All I can figure is that the receiver face is not square at all.  
I called savage the next morning and was told to send it back and I would have to pay shipping.  After going over the fact that this was a $2K “top end” rifle from them and the concentricity issue of the barrel, they did agree to provide me with a RMA shipping label.  I shipped the rifle back.  It arrived “Wednesday,  03/28/2018 at 9:58 A.M.  Received By:KOFIDAS” according to the UPS tracking info.  So, after 7 business days in their possession, I reached out yesterday via email to enquire on a status:

REDACTED,
Have there been any updates on my Rifle serial number #06-0****1, MSR 10 Long Range Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Delivered On:

Wednesday,  03/28/2018 at 9:58 A.M.

Received By:
KOFIDAS

Thank You.

Reply:

Good Day,
Not as of yet.

Thank you,
REDACTED

This is where it’s at so far.

I have many savage rifles. I have received bad product at one time or another from every major brand. So, I am not bashing savage or their rifles. This is just the facts of my situation with the purchase of this rifle. Just hope they are on the QC and not pumping this new model out too fast. I hope they send me a new rifle soon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:25:42 AM EDT
[#40]
New member here. Registered just to post on this thread. Just thought I’d share my experience with my MSR-10 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased mine last week and have had two trips out to the range so far. First impressions were that the rifle was well built with one exception. The castle nut was not staked and it was actually loose. No biggie as I have the tools to fix that. Just thought I’d note that since you’d probably expect more from a ~$1300 gun. I did read that many of y’all were having issues with the barrel being loose so I pulled the handguard to inspect and everything seemed nice and tight. I changed out the crappy Blackhawk furniture for a B5 systems grip and Vltor Emod stock. The trigger also got swapped out with a RRA National Match trigger. I threw on a Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16x50 with a Warne skell mount. I went with 4 Hornady loads to start off with. The accuracy of the gun far exceeded my expectations. The Hornady Black 140gr BTHP, Precsion Hunter 143gr ELD-X and Match 147gr ELD-M all shot very good groups, at under 1/2 MOA. This really surprised me. The only load that didn’t perform well was the Superformance 129gr SST. This load shot terrible. I was lucky to get a 3” group with it. Upon inspection of the Superfornace ammo, I noticed there was scarring on the bullets going length wise. I checked all of the rounds in the box and a couple other boxes of the same ammo and they were all affected. I don’t know if this had anything to do with the accuracy being so bad or if the gun just didn’t like the load. I have contacted Hornady to see if they will switch out some of the ammo for me. Out of all of the loads I tried, none showed high pressure signs and all had very consistent 4 o’clock ejection with no adjustment to the gas system. All of the groups I shot were at 100 yards and I have yet to take it out any further but I hope to do so in the near future. Overall I am very impressed with this rifle and it’s accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#41]
The gas tube on my MSR10 Hunter is slightly bent/off center.
Does anyone know how to remove it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The gas tube on my MSR10 Hunter is slightly bent/off center.
Does anyone know how to remove it?

Thanks
View Quote
Looks like it un screws from the gas block, vid shows gas block and tube clearly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs_6HxdBY4k
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Bent?  How so?  Do you mean it is not centered in the gas key channel in the upper receiver?  Can you post a picture?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I know little about the Savage, but just from that gas tube pic, does it appear that instead of being bent, it may be that the gas tube centering in the barrel nut...or whatever method Savage uses...may be off?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:18:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone know if the MSR10 Hunter takes the M118 PMags?

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-25-m118-lrsr-gen-m3-window

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-25-lrsr-gen-m3-window

The M118 308 Pmag allows for a little longer COAL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't quite understand the M118 PMAG's.

I've got a fair number of Gen 3 "standard" PMAG's, and one M118.

Both take (and function fine with) 2.83" OAL on every projectile I've tried, from 130gr TSX up to and including 190gr Nosler ABLR's.

Whatever the difference is (except the window and 5 more rounds) I'm not sure. I never spent the time to see what could possibly have changed to necessitate the "M118 compatible" designation, because 2.83" works fine in the "regular" PMAG's, and I didn't see why further investigation was necessary. I thought maybe it would have something to do with ogive like the 300BO has with particular loads, but having shot many different bullet profiles from 125-190gr, I haven't noticed any similar issue. To get back on topic, I would certainly try a standard PMAG first, as long as you don't want/need the extra 5 round capacity, and/or window.

My rifle (not an MSR, but the magwells have to be close, one would think) takes the M118 and non-M118 mags fine. If anything the M118 might be a slightly more snug fit. It's pretty unwieldy in any case, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#48]
25 round non M118 wont allow for the same length as the m118, the 20 and the 10 due to being 25. Some Receiver wont drop M118 free.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Has anybody gotten any information on what barrel extension is used?  I called Savage, but they wouldn't tell me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Has anybody gotten any information on what barrel extension is used?  I called Savage, but they wouldn't tell me.
View Quote
I went in to a LARGE store to look at these lately, they had 3 of each type on the shelf, and the salesman seemed pretty knowledgeable about them.  He claimed that they used DPMS pattern barrels (NOT GII pattern) and any would swap right in.  Seems possible based on the bulk around the barrel nut and how front-heavy the MSR10 felt compared to my DPMS GII.  But, words of a gun counter salesman, soooo...
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top