BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I wasn't patient enough with the OD Greeen Alumahyde cure time and marred the finish while handling it, so I stripped it back down to anodized and just went OD green with the furniture for now.

All put together, just waiting on a PA SLx 3-18x50.  I stuck a Swampfox Trihawk and Justice on it in the meantime, and not super happy with the tape switch, needs about an inch more pic rail to be solid, making me wish I got the Atlas R instead of the Atlas S.

Everything that looks FDE in the pictures is actually OD green, by the way, including the sling and the entire shooting mat.  My S21 Ultra apparently can't see OD.

Aero M5 CMV 18" Atlas S-One complete upper.
Aero Phosphate BCG
Aero Enhanced carbine tube
Aero Breach large charging handle
Broken Arms Armory 6061 billet lower(great fit to the M5 upper, very well machined, comes with tensioning screw and threaded bolt catch too).  I electro-etched the magwells.
Aero M5 LPK
JP H2 SCSS
BCM Mod 1 stock (holding out for a PRS Lite)
Magpul K2+ grip
LaRue MBT-2S SB trigger
Radian Talon ambi safety.
Phase 5 v3 EBR
Slate Black Grip (OD)
Slate Black rail panels (OD)
UTG Recon 360 bipod
SilencerCo ASR three prong flash hider
SilencerCo ASR blast deflector
OLight Odin on Arisaka cantilever mount.
Magpul MS1 sling

I've got a Superlative .750 set-screw bleed-off gas block and rifle tube (and SLR .750 dimple jig), holding off to see how the stock gas block does, might save that Superlative for another build.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Had trouble finding the answer here.

Does the Knight's URX4 fit the Aero upper with no fitting required?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#3]
@RJeff21 has one on his.  I bought one to put on mine but still waiting on the Criterion barrel to come in stock to assemble it all.  Just have to make sure you get the SR25 version and you have an M5 NOT the M5E1 Aero upper
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The KAC Mk11/SR25 fits Aero upper receivers just fine.

An educated guess says that the URX series will as well as i've seen nothing that suggests that KAK changed the pattern between the older handguards and the newer series.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@RJeff21 has one on his.  I bought one to put on mine but still waiting on the Criterion barrel to come in stock to assemble it all.  Just have to make sure you get the SR25 version and you have an M5 NOT the M5E1 Aero upper
View Quote

Yep, URX 4 fits fine.  Just a bit of a pain installing the gas block/tube after the handguard is installed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, URX 4 fits fine.  Just a bit of a pain installing the gas block/tube after the handguard is installed.
View Quote

Does your urx4 rail have about a .010 height mismatch with the M5 upper?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll check tomorrow, but it’s not something I’ve noticed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Got budget glass for my budget M110K1.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of. The Aero has a higher receiver height than the URX4 rail by about 1/16-1/8".

It's noticeable if you look for it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]
CMMG.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]
For the 12.5” guys what rails are y’all running?  I don’t see much offers out there but SLR and CA CMR.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 4:04:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Built a new upper this week.  There was an issue with my 18" S-One upper, the factory installed barrel nut was jammed on the barrel index pin (Aero took care of me, replacement complete 18" upper is en-route).  

But while waiting to hear back from Aero on warranty status, I bought a new Texas edition upper from SpiceTac and sourced a used S-One rail here on the EE, and Brownells had 16" Faxon Big Gunner barrels in stock, so voila!  New complete upper.

Very pleased with how much handier the 16" semi-pencil barrel makes this thing, compared to the weight of the 18" on my other upper.  25oz lighter.

New Aero M5 Texas upper
Aero Atlas S-One 15" handguard (used from EE)
Faxon 16" Big Gunner .308 barrel
SA bleed-off AGB
Aero nitride gas tube
Aero phosphate BCG
SilencerCo ASR flash hider
Slate Black Industries VFG and rail panels
Primary Arms GLx 4-16 DMR HUD
Aero SPR mount
Swampfox Justice on a Valhalla Tactical offset for the Aero mount
Aero "Greenodized" (or ODized? Anyway, prolly too green) Breach large charging handle.

I reckon this also means I need a new BCG, lower, and optics for the warranty replacement 18" upper when it arrives, doesn't it?  

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Built a new upper this week.  There was an issue with my 18" S-One upper, the factory installed barrel nut was jammed on the barrel index pin (Aero took care of me, replacement complete 18" upper is en-route).  

But while waiting to hear back from Aero on warranty status, I bought a new Texas edition upper from SpiceTac and sourced a used S-One rail here on the EE, and Brownells had 16" Faxon Big Gunner barrels in stock, so voila!  New complete upper.

Very pleased with how much handier the 16" semi-pencil barrel makes this thing, compared to the weight of the 18" on my other upper.  25oz lighter.
View Quote

to be fair in the comparison, I'll bet your Aero 18" upper has the BA Heavy Barrel  barrel.  not known for being svelte.  so, HBAR vs Pencil... which one is lighter?  I have the Faxon 16" Big Gunner also, in 308.  Yes, I'm surprised with how light it is.  It's lighter than either of my two 14.5" 308 barreled uppers (Criterion & BA).
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For the 12.5” guys what rails are y’all running?  I don’t see much offers out there but SLR and CA CMR.
View Quote

I think Aero offers a 12” rail.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Waiting on my gas black and gas tube.
M5 upper and lower
Plain jane internals
10.5" KAK barrel
10" Troy rail
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ordered the CA CMR rail.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Did some reconfiguring, and added another M5-based build to the collection:

Top is a Texas Edition M5 upper with 16" .308 Faxon Big Gunner barrel, SilencerCo ASR flash hider, SA set-screw gas block (and I dimpled), Atlas S-One 15" handguard, Aero phosphate BCG, Aero large Breach CH, Radian Talon safety, Aero enhanced carbine tube, JP SCSS H2, MBT-2S trigger, MFT stock, JMT Carbon80 lower, Phase 5 EBRv3, Aero LPK, K2+ grip, Slate Black Industries rail covers and VG, Magpul MS1 sling and rocking an Olight Odin Mini. Optic is a Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10 red BDC in an Aero SPR mount. Built this one from the ground up from parts.

Bottom is an M5E1 with 22" Wilson Combat Super Sniper barrel in 6.5CM, VG6 Epsilon brake, SA set-screw gas block, Geissele Super ambi CH that I bought as a set from the EE, then added a Wilson Combat nitride BCG (which other than logo is identical to the Aero BCGs!), Broken Arms Armory 80% lower (matches M5 uppers damn near perfectly), Radian Talon selector, Phase 5 EBRv3, Phase 5 mag release button, Aero LPK, MBT-2S trigger, UBR 2.0 stock, Wilson Combat grip and rail covers, Atlas PRS bipod.  Optic is a Primary Arms GLx 4-16 ACSS DMR-HUD, also on an Aero SPR mount, but with a Valhalla Tactical offset mount and Swampfox Justice RDS just for shits and giggles.

Link Posted: 7/25/2021 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Still waiting on muzzle device sitting in jail with the Sandman-S. Also need to figure out optics.

8lb 2oz unloaded.

Hopefully it runs once complete!

Aero M5 upper/lower
SLR Helix 15" rail
Criterion 16" mid length
SLR Sentry 7 gas block
Sharps rifle company DLC BCG
Larue MBT 2S
Aero LPK
BCM Mod 1 grip
Magpul CTR
BCM A5 Buffer tube
XH 8.5oz Buffer
Springco ar10 red spring

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered a 4-16x42 ATACR today to replace my PST Gen II.  30 week lead time oof.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Very nice.  I haven’t run across the 3 piece set in a while. If you don’t mind, how much was this?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Very nice.  I haven’t run across the 3 piece set in a while. If you don’t mind, how much was this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$650

And before you start thinking I'm cool... I've been failing at getting one of these sets for over a year.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Started some load development after working through some issues with reloading data.  The gun appears to like 175gr SMKs.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm tired of waiting on a 16" Criterion barrel.  Any suggestions of other barrels of similar quality?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried Aero's 12" rail on my 12.5" build and it would not allow my OSS muzzle brake to mount with enough room for the suppressor to screw on, so I went with SLR.  They offer MIL/LE/GOV discounts and make super high quality stuff and their 11.7" MLOK was the perfect solution for me...
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm tired of waiting on a 16" Criterion barrel.  Any suggestions of other barrels of similar quality?
View Quote

How long are you willing to wait and what's your budget?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I've been on lists going 4 months now, so less than that.  Criterion barrels are about $300 but I'd be willing to go for $500 if the quality was there
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which specific 16” Criterion barrel were you looking for?

May be able to help you out, PM sent.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well I've been on lists going 4 months now, so less than that.  Criterion barrels are about $300 but I'd be willing to go for $500 if the quality was there
View Quote

Deadshot Barrels. Built to your specs. I personally don't get along with the guy, but they're good barrels. Lothar Walther are the only blanks in stock, takes 2 - 3 months. Send in your stripped bolt to ensure headspace, or make sure your bolt has a standard DPMS lug length and counter-bore and take your chances. Specify gas port size in the comments if wanted. I would E-mail for verification before buying.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone get scratches like this?  Doesn't seem normal...

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20210806_155708-2042432.jpg
View Quote

Considering that’s in a recessed part of that carrier and there’s nothing that should/could be coming into contact with it there, they don’t look like scratches to me.  Looks more like lube or something that has run back and dried.  Have you tried giving it a scrub with a brush?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20210806_155708-2042432.jpg
View Quote
looks like stains from your choice of lube?  what do you use?  not sure where you calling scratches?
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah I'm an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get a Lothar Walther, they had some in stock
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Hello all,

Slowly progressing with my project.

Anyone have issues running an AP 18” rifle length gas upper with AP carbine buffer kit or is the AP rifle buffer kit the way to go?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hello all,

Anyone have issues running an AP 18” rifle length gas upper with AP carbine buffer kit or is the AP rifle buffer kit the way to go?
View Quote

The Aero rifle length action system is fine. Some have issues with the Aero carbine length action, but there are a lot of variables on whether it will work for you. There's nothing wrong with Aero quality, I just use different set-ups.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hello all,

View Quote

I use the carbine buffer set-up, ala carte, sorry, not the the Aero kit, for all my Aero M5 set-ups, from 14.5" 308 to 24" 308 to 24" 6.5CM.  I use the 5.3oz 308 carbine buffer, Slash's 308 carbine spring, and adj gas block, has been successful sofar.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I use the carbine buffer set-up, ala carte, sorry, not the the Aero kit, for all my Aero M5 set-ups, from 14.5" 308 to 24" 308 to 24" 6.5CM.  I use the 5.3oz 308 carbine buffer, Slash's 308 carbine spring, and adj gas block, has been successful sofar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello all,

this topics interests me.  Seems so easy on the 5.56 platform but I tend to get confused on the 308.

My almost-all-aero M5 is super heavy on recoil.  I have the carbine buffer kit.  I intend to install an AGB b/c I'll be suppressing it.  In the meantime, I'm definitely thinking a new spring/buffer combo might help but I don't know what to try.  Is 5.3 oz sort of the T2  buffer of .308 builds?  Is there a go-to spring that everyone raves about?
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Is there a way to search a specific thread like this one for specific questions?

I have some questions about two BA/ Aero AR10 builds below.  I have the items below currently.

(2) sets of BA/ Aero stripped lowers.
(1) BA/Aero upper
BA 12.5in 308 barrel
BA 16in 308 barrel
(2) Rubber City Armory BCG’s.
One adjustable SLR GB.

I won’t need an adjustable GB with the 16in barrel?
I will need an adjustable GB with the 12.5 or can I tune it with the buffer and spring?  Both rifles will be using the A5 buffer system.
Do I have to use the Aero pivot and take down pins or can I use the KNS pins?
I will need an extended or longer than normal magazine release button?
I know 308’s can break bolt catches.  Is there one that everyone has better luck with?
Does anyone know if the FCD 7.62 large top paddle bolt catch will work with the Aero upper?
The 16in rifle will most likely get an Aero handguard.
I’m wanting to use a Centurion HG with the 12.5.  Any issues running a Centurion HG on an Aero upper?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.  I have put off putting together an AR10 for too long and would like to finish these up soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is there a way to search a specific thread like this one for specific questions?

I have some questions about two BA/ Aero AR10 builds below.  I have the items below currently.

(1) BA/Aero upper
BA 12.5in 308 barrel
BA 16in 308 barrel
One adjustable SLR GB.

I will need an adjustable GB with the 12.5 or can I tune it with the buffer and spring?  Both rifles will be using the A5 buffer system.
I know 308’s can break bolt catches.  Is there one that everyone has better luck with?
Does anyone know if the FCD 7.62 large top paddle bolt catch will work with the Aero upper?
I’m wanting to use a Centurion HG with the 12.5.  Any issues running a Centurion HG on an Aero upper?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.  I have put off putting together an AR10 for too long and would like to finish these up soon.
View Quote

I've been told that adjustable gas blocks are just about mandatory for AR10 type rifles.   Both of mine have them
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

(1) BA/Aero upper
BA 12.5in 308 barrel
BA 16in 308 barrel
One adjustable SLR GB.

View Quote

The AR10 16" is pretty stout... an adj. gas block, which may or may not be needed for your specific build, will help you tune it to where recoil impulse is minimal but still functional. The cost really isn't that much considering.

I've not read about broken bolt catches in a while, years ago when the M5 builds started they were breaking with regularity... I broke at least three. I replaced all mine with the DMPS LR-308 bolt catch from Brownell's but I believe they are no longer available. I think current bolt catch assemblies from Aero are ok... maybe someone can chime in with updated experiences.

For the HG, you will need the DMPS HIGH.

The standard supplied mag button works, but there is an extended one available with a longer shank.

https://www.kakindustry.com/special-extended-mag-release-arm
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've been told that adjustable gas blocks are just about mandatory for AR10 type rifles.   Both of mine have them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(1) BA/Aero upper
BA 12.5in 308 barrel
BA 16in 308 barrel
One adjustable SLR GB.

This is consistent with what I’ve heard as well. I use a Superlative Arms on my 16” rifle gas.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

(1) BA/Aero upper
BA 12.5in 308 barrel
BA 16in 308 barrel
One adjustable SLR GB.

View Quote
you do need to use the Aero M5 pivot, takedown pins.  They are proprietary.  Even the DPMS LR-308 pivot, takedown pins are a tad short for the Aero M5 application.

for the mag release, you have essentially 2 choices:
- use the AR-15 std mag release with the tall Aero M5 mag release button, or
- use the LR-308 mag catch (it has a longer threaded stud) with a regular AR-15 mag release button.

as mentioned above, KAK Industries sells a version of the LR-308 mag catch, otherwise the original DPMS LR-308 mag catches are impossible to find, especially post-bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
are gas block set screws all the same measurement apart?  my Aero has set screw low profile GB, wanting to replace with a Superlative adjustable GB.  Wondering if they're all "created equal".  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
are gas block set screws all the same measurement apart?  my Aero has set screw low profile GB, wanting to replace with a Superlative adjustable GB.  Wondering if they're all "created equal".  Thanks.
View Quote

They isn't a standard spacing. For 1" long lo-pro blocks, there are 5 different spacings. The good news is that all the AP blocks I've seen are 0.500" center to center, same as the SA AGB. A lot of Aero barrels are not dimpled though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They isn't a standard spacing. For 1" long lo-pro blocks, there are 5 different spacings. The good news is that all the AP blocks I've seen are 0.500" center to center, same as the SA AGB. A lot of Aero barrels are not dimpled though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cool thanks for that.  I'll be checking my upper today but i think it did have the set screws.
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top