Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Black Friday special.  I didn't set out to get so much Aero Precision stuff, but that's how it turned out.  I wanted to avoid a FA upper.

Aero receiver set
Aero rail
Magpul handles
Larue trigger
Criterion 20" .308 bbl.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440931/79935754_490687391796400_4301794863776530432_o__1__jpg-1202066.JPG
View Quote
Very Nice looking Rifle. I have a similar plan percolating in my head after the 1st of the year. I just have to find an M5 FDE receiver set then. I'm also setting back, waiting to see what, (if anything) in the way of DPMS LR308  (Aero M5 compatible) new things get announced at shot 2020.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
So I finally received all the parts to finish my 308 build that I ordered on black Friday. How ever I forgot the 556 upper block won't work to install the barrel. What is everyone using to install 308 barrels? Also do your mags drop free? Mine keep sticking...

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Put most of my M5 lower together tonight. Still need a trigger, stock and a buffer setup to finish it off. Always wanted to build a large frame AR so I decided to pick the lower up last week when I found them on sale. After I finish the lower then i'll start working on the upper.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:52:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I finally received all the parts to finish my 308 build that I ordered on black Friday. How ever I forgot the 556 upper block won't work to install the barrel. What is everyone using to install 308 barrels? Also do your mags drop free? Mine keep sticking...

Thanks
View Quote
I am using this: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Upper-Receiver-Rod-308-p/mi-308urr.htm

Check how deep your mag release button is threaded. I seem to remember having to adjust this for drop free.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
I've got one of these, and have zero complaints.

Works for both 5.56 and .308.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've got one of these, and have zero complaints.

Works for both 5.56 and .308.
View Quote
That's what I use too.  If you need to get it done RFN a chunk of wood on the upper's rail, the corner of a workbench, and 2 clamps will git-r-dun.  Redneck as hell but it works.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's what I use too.  If you need to get it done RFN a chunk of wood on the upper's rail, the corner of a workbench, and 2 clamps will git-r-dun.  Redneck as hell but it works.  
View Quote
I'm not too proud to admit I've done this before. My rationale was "if it works, great. If it doesn't, I knew going in this is in no manual on the planet."
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Just put my aero m5 together with aero lpk, seems the mag release bolt is too short and the button is only threaded in half way?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just put my aero m5 together with aero lpk, seems the mag release bolt is too short and the button is only threaded in half way?
View Quote
That's correct

Here's my cheap fix

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Aero-Precision-308-M5-Everything/121-662611/?page=52#i7946160

Or you can spend the 17-18 bucks for a KAC extended magazine catch or use a button that doesn't have a hole in it so you can't see it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
if you're using the Aero M5-specific tall button, then that's normal, that's correct.  The tall button compensates for the wider 308 mag well to allow usage of the std AR-15 mag catch.  That's Aero's M5 solution.  Other AR-308 mfrs recess the mag release, or something else to compensate for the wider AR-308 magazine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone had an issue with 20 rd Gen3 SR25 Pmags in there M5?  I was thinking about stocking up on pmags and picked one up at the gun show this weekend to test it out but it will not drop free from my lower.  I have a bunch o D&H ad CP mags that all drop free without a hitch.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has anyone had an issue with 20 rd Gen3 SR25 Pmags in there M5?  I was thinking about stocking up on pmags and picked one up at the gun show this weekend to test it out but it will not drop free from my lower.  I have a bunch o D&H ad CP mags that all drop free without a hitch.
View Quote
I asked the same question before and the answers I got were no one has had any problems
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I asked the same question before and the answers I got were no one has had any problems
View Quote
Well it is definitely an issue for me. After insertion and removal of the mag a bunch of times it appears that the areas keeping the mag from dropping free are two high areas on both sides of the mag about a 1/2 inch from the front and back of the back of the mag on both sides.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well it is definitely an issue for me. After insertion and removal of the mag a bunch of times it appears that the areas keeping the mag from dropping free are two high areas on both sides of the mag about a 1/2 inch from the front and back of the back of the mag on both sides.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not tried the 25 round Pmags. But, I have run the 20 round Pmags with zero issues for quite a while. No stoppages and insert/drop free any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys, what about ambi safetys ? Any issues?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, what about ambi safetys ? Any issues?
View Quote
I’m running the kac ambi. So far so good
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I use to pieces of old hard 2x4 , 1 cut to fit in between lugs and one for railes . I just clamp it in vice sideways and torq barrel
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 12/30/2019 3:35:51 AM EDT
[#20]
For those of you with the M5E1 uppers, how stiff is the handguard? I have a regular m5 upper and a newer updated centurion 762 mlok handguard and am debating on switching to the enhanced upper.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For those of you with the M5E1 uppers, how stiff is the handguard? I have a regular m5 upper and a newer updated centurion 762 mlok handguard and am debating on switching to the enhanced upper.
View Quote
It feels like it is one piece kinda stiff. I'm not sure if this is necessary for M4 but it seems like a good idea for M5 with that extra heft.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
You could also get the Aero barrel nut adapter that allows for the enhanced handguards. That’s what I did with the above Aero build. I wanted the option to run non enhanced style rails if I decide to in the future. It’s a solid rail though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have not tried the 25 round Pmags. But, I have run the 20 round Pmags with zero issues for quite a while. No stoppages and insert/drop free any day of the week.
View Quote
I have regular 20 round pmags as well as the 25 round M118 pmags. They both work fine. I also have some aluminum  Brownell's 20 rounders and they aren't worth a damn.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine seems plenty solid. But there are plenty  regular M5s out there that are working just fine too. *shrug*
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Apologies if this has been covered already, but has anyone here built a M5 with an Armalite rifle length gas tube? I almost have all the parts to start assembling my M5e1 20” 308, but I’ve read mixed reviews on whether or not a standard AR15 rifle length gas tube will be reliable. Evidently each barrel maker doesn’t always use the same tube specs or gas port location? This barrel will be a JP. Has anyone here used an Armalite gas tube in an M5, and if so any problems? Appreciate any insights.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Apologies if this has been covered already, but has anyone here built a M5 with an Armalite rifle length gas tube? I almost have all the parts to start assembling my M5e1 20” 308, but I’ve read mixed reviews on whether or not a standard AR15 rifle length gas tube will be reliable. Evidently each barrel maker doesn’t always use the same tube specs or gas port location? This barrel will be a JP. Has anyone here used an Armalite gas tube in an M5, and if so any problems? Appreciate any insights.
View Quote
some discussion in this thread.  for Faxon 308 DPMS barrels, I'd use the Armalite AR-10 gas tubes, but AR-15 will work...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/A2-handguards-on-308-ar/121-746320/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

ETA: in contrast, my Criterion barrel AR-308's use standard AR-15 gas tubes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

some discussion in this thread.  for Faxon 308 DPMS barrels, I'd use the Armalite AR-10 gas tubes, but AR-15 will work...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/A2-handguards-on-308-ar/121-746320/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
View Quote
I have the Faxon 18” Heavy Fluted Match barrel, and have a standard AR15 gas tube. I am almost 100% sure the Armalite tube would be too long.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Read over 30 pages of this thread and I either missed the info or it isn't posted but I was wondering if anyone knows if there clearance issues with the Sentry 8 and the Aero Enhanced m-lok rail?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have the Faxon 18” Heavy Fluted Match barrel, and have a standard AR15 gas tube. I am almost 100% sure the Armalite tube would be too long.
View Quote
Faxon 20" 308 Heavy Fluted Match rifle-gas barrel, Armalite AR-10 rifle gas tube, gas tube does not bottom out in gas key:
ETA: although, i might add, if you've been running the shorter gas tube for a while, there might be a carbon/residue buildup inside the gas key that might prevent a longer gas tube from being fully inserted.  Might end up bending the new gas tube in that case, dunno.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Read over 30 pages of this thread and I either missed the info or it isn't posted but I was wondering if anyone knows if there clearance issues with the Sentry 8 and the Aero Enhanced m-lok rail?
View Quote
None at all. You could fit a Sentry 8 with no problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run a Sentry 9 on my 6.5 Creedmoor build.

Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/eJrN2zd.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/eJrN2zd.jpg
Awesome! Thanks for the info fellas...puts my mind at ease...
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
In mid Sept I bought blem M5 receiver in black.  I've tried 10, 20, and 25 round PMags, none drop free when unloaded or loaded.  I have the correct mag release button from M5 LPK, and have tried screwing/unscrewing release in/out, but didn't help at all.  I sanded the 10 round down just below feed lips on each side and some off the shelf above latch cut out, it helped, but still not dropping free like Lancer L7s or ASC steel mags.  I'm chalking it up to the blem I bought.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

In mid Sept I bought blem M5 receiver in black.  I've tried 10, 20, and 25 round PMags, none drop free when unloaded or loaded.  I have the correct mag release button from M5 LPK, and have tried screwing/unscrewing release in/out, but didn't help at all.  I sanded the 10 round down just below feed lips on each side and some off the shelf above latch cut out, it helped, but still not dropping free like Lancer L7s or ASC steel mags.  I'm chalking it up to the blem I bought.
View Quote
Yeah I am having the same issue even after sanding my mags too and my receiver is not a blem. I guess I just won't be buying anymore pmags for this one.

One thing that I did notice that seemed to help with metal mags is that the follower is slightly depressed by the BHO when empty and when the mag release is depressed it helps to eject the mag. The pmag does not do that and the follower sits right at the BHO with no pressure applied when empty.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah I am having the same issue even after sanding my mags too and my receiver is not a blem. I guess I just won't be buying anymore pmags for this one.

One thing that I did notice that seemed to help with metal mags is that the follower is slightly depressed by the BHO when empty and when the mag release is depressed it helps to eject the mag. The pmag does not do that and the follower sits right at the BHO with no pressure applied when empty.
View Quote
What bolt catch are you using? Receiver could be out of spec but would be easy to see if changing the bolt batch changed anything. Cheaper part to swap out is what I always try first.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What bolt catch are you using? Receiver could be out of spec but would be easy to see if changing the bolt batch changed anything. Cheaper part to swap out is what I always try first.
View Quote
Have the AP one in it right now. Waiting on a DPMS catch.

Why would it be the bolt catch if it isn't even touching the pmags? Trying to understand the why.

Even inserting the pmag is more difficult than a steel mag.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Faxon 20" 308 Heavy Fluted Match rifle-gas barrel, Armalite AR-10 rifle gas tube, gas tube does not bottom out in gas key:
https://i.imgur.com/THoVj2a.jpg?1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/THoVj2a.jpg?1
Thanks for posting that, definitely helps to see.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#38]
So it begins.  Here is what I have so far.  I will update as I get the rest of my parts.

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So it begins.  Here is what I have so far.  I will update as I get the rest of my parts.

https://i.imgur.com/vPRi7FG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5hITYES.jpg
View Quote
Looking awesome!! I have a very similar build. Same rail over a 16" BA barrel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone have any rail recommendations?  Still trying to find something for my M5 upper.  I have an 18" Criterion barrel
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone have any rail recommendations?  Still trying to find something for my M5 upper.  I have an 18" Criterion barrel
View Quote
URX4

You know you want to.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
URX4

You know you want to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
URX4

You know you want to.
I've been thinking about the URX II
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now that is big dollar talk!
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why it remains not bought lol
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
SLR DPMS-high 16" Ion Lite M-LOK

https://slrrifleworks.com/308h-ion-16-lite-handguard-mlok/
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I have the LPK but still need some things.

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#47]
see below
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Check the upper/lower alignment in mag well, slide finger in and see if there is a ridge on one side. Out of the three I built one was not aligned, took some metal out of upper. perfect now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I went out and shot mine recently and Im also having trouble with mags dropping free. I have tried Pmags and Hexmags, and neither will drop free. Im also using an Aero parts kit and have played with the mag release and still doesn't help. Mine is not a blem, so I don't think that is the issue.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had all kinds of problems with the mag catch until I bought the KAK Industries extended catch
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top