Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:39:46 PM EDT
Next month I will begin a project where I'll be building an AR-15 from scratch through getting one piece at a time(due to limited budget). My plan is to build one that uses the 5.56x45mm Nato round. But later on down the road i also plan on purchasing parts so that the AR15 can fire the 7.62x39mm round. I have done research on it and I'm well aware of the fact that I DON'T need to purchase a different lower receiver. But I want to ultimately be able to pull a mag out of an AK-47 and put into an AR-15.

Here's my question: Is there such a thing as an AR-15 lower receiver that can use an AK-47 magazine? If so does any body know where I can find one? I would love to have a link to where i can get one even if it ain't in stock.

Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If there was such a thing, I would have seen it by now but it sure would be cool.
Let me know what you find out but technically I think it would be virtually impossible.
I think you would need a bigger lower.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock River makes a AR lower/upper combo (assembled rifle/carbine) that uses standard AK-47 magazines.

There have been others with a similar concept like the RRA but they have not seen much sucess...
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
There are 5 different ones.  Michael Machine, Vulcan, Knights, MGI, and RRA.  I've got one of the Vulcans.  The MGI and RRA are the o ly ones currently in production, if the RRA is even in production yet that is.  The Knights is the rarest with only 7 ever made, if I recall correctly.  All of the Knights were post 86 machine guns, so not available to the general public anyway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Next month I will begin a project where I'll be building an AR-15 from scratch through getting one piece at a time(due to limited budget). My plan is to build one that uses the 5.56x45mm Nato round. But later on down the road i also plan on purchasing parts so that the AR15 can fire the 7.62x39mm round. I have done research on it and I'm well aware of the fact that I DON'T need to purchase a different lower receiver.

I don't think you've done your research.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:05:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next month I will begin a project where I'll be building an AR-15 from scratch through getting one piece at a time(due to limited budget). My plan is to build one that uses the 5.56x45mm Nato round. But later on down the road i also plan on purchasing parts so that the AR15 can fire the 7.62x39mm round. I have done research on it and I'm well aware of the fact that I DON'T need to purchase a different lower receiver.

I don't think you've done your research.

Clearly he has.  All one needs to convert a standard AR to 7.62x39 is a new bbl, bolt, & funny looking magazines.  If he limits himself to lower capacity, he doesn't even need the funny mags.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are set on wanting to use AK mags in the AR15, you need a totally different bolt carrier too.  A standard carrier will not clear the AK mag feed lips.

It makes a lot more sense to use AR15 mags for standard AR mag wells that are meant to run on 7.62x39, like the CProducts or ASC mags.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew about those. i misunderstood the question.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top