Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 9:29:56 AM EDT
I had a DPMS LR for several years. It was nothing fancy really-24" factory barrel, stainless, fluted with a Rock River match trigger. It was an early gun with no dustcover which is one reason I sold it.... With Federal 308M it would do 3/4" all day long from the bench. Another reason I sold it because it was so damn heavy and I just wasn't shooting it anyplace but off the bench. My thinking was that I wanted a lighter weight rifle but one that will still reach 1,000.

I'm now thinking about replacing the rifle and I want one that is equally as accurate- that will shoot to the grand accurately but with alot less weight than my old gun.

My first thought was that I need a carbon fiber handguard. I don't want a mile of rails- a few would be nice-something like the JP.....Old gun had a solid aluminum handguard. The barrel is where I really think I should be able to save some weight, old gun was 24" and HUGE. I am thinking something in 20-22", mid weight would shave quite a bit of weight.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:45:15 AM EDT
R-25
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:16:23 PM EDT
SR-25
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:25:56 PM EDT
Yea, that SR25 EM is about what I'm looking for......
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:34:20 PM EDT
Armalite AR-10 with an 18 inch quality barrel and a free float tube.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:59:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:04:54 PM EDT
Replace the 24" barrel with an 18" from Marty ask for midweight, replace the handguard with JP/VTAC, or carbon fiber. Done

Might take a while though, unless Marty's in the middle of a run of the same spec.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:48:20 PM EDT
You might look at the ITS-12 uppers from AR15performance.com too. They are DPMS pattern so they will fit a DPMS lower but the whole upper is much lighter. You might be able to build one fairly light and still keep a medium to heavy 20" barrel.

BTW, you can shoot 1000 with a 16" provided it is a quality barrel and you use the right load like 168gr GMM.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:32:03 AM EDT
Not really an Armalite guy, I suppose I should have mentioned that. I already have over a dozen DPMS pattern mags that I would like to use- they really seem to be the future of the .308 AR.....

Who is "Marty".....I assume he works for DPMS?

I will take a look at what ITS has as well.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:50:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:26:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Will:
Not really an Armalite guy, I suppose I should have mentioned that. I already have over a dozen DPMS pattern mags that I would like to use- they really seem to be the future of the .308 AR.....

Who is "Marty".....I assume he works for DPMS?

I will take a look at what ITS has as well.

Thanks guys!

I prefer the SR25/DPMS pattern mags as well now that there is a .308 Pmag in that pattern but there is nothing wrong with an AR-10 either. All my .308 AR's are DPMS so I'm not neutral on this issue.

The "Marty" he is referring to is probably MartyTW with Teppo Jutsu (http://www.teppojutsu.com/). He is the inventor of the .458 SOCOM and does very nice custom rifles. He can build you pretty much anything you want.
Top Top