Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 4:34:45 PM EDT
I was looking at an LR308 with the 24" barrel. It had two holes drilled and tapped in the bottom of the gas block. One of the holes had a stud screwed in. No holes at all in the free float tube handguard.

What is the deal with that? Why no stud in the float tube?

If it matters the s/n is 22xx.  Maybe newer ones have the stud in the right place?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah mine is in the 3's i think and the stud is in the handgaurd. it is threaded a perfect distance from the edge so a harris bipod is flush with the end no overhang.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
those holes in the gas block are set screws.  youll have to drill to mount a bipid stud.  make sure the handguard is tight first so it lines up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#3]

posted by infsqdldr:
those holes in the gas block are set screws.

The set screws make sense - DPMS just cheaped out and didn't provide any mounting at all.  Are the set screws normally the same size/pitch as a bipod stud?

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
the bipod stud are much bigger.  mine came with one, if you call them they may send you one.
www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BI-FFS
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
There's something wrong with your rifle if the sling stud is on the gas block. You should get that repaired by DPMS. Mounting the bipod on the gas block is going to cause the barrel to not free float (as it is attached to the bipod mass) and change the harmonics of the barrel, and affect accuracy.

You really want the sling stud mounted on the free floated hand-guard.

Charlie.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top