Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/8/2006 5:29:50 AM EDT
Just had a LR18" fly off the wall at my toy store into my waiting arms.
I adopted it on the spot. So cute....
I knew the trigger would be one of the first considerations.
Lotta creep. Hey it's a military trigger, and I knew there were ways around this.
Never knew how many options there were.
I've heard that instead of going for broke, and buying a whole new trigger assembly, of which there are a lot of choices, there are/is a kit(s) of a few components availiable from say Brownells that would apply to this. Less creep. Crisper release. Easy install.Right now it's like waiting for water to boil. The gun will go to the range to scare the local populace on occasion, but is primarily for field.
Night work in the orchard. Damn brown fuzzy things are eating my trees..
Any suggestions/enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:56:17 AM EDT
I have 18 of the LR-308's in my racks right now. Guys were shooting them the last three weeks and as figured, once they started breaking in everything got better. The trigger's are anywhere from 10+ to 9 - , so that's unacceptable for a DDM rifle.

I bought a RRA 2 stage from Brownells and installed it yesterday. It hasn't been test fired for reliability yet, but the break is very crisp at 6+ pounds. We use LR118 in our courses, so it'll be interesting to see if the lightened hammer will reliably strike the primer to ignition.

For what it's worth, our guys have backed out to 1100 meters with these rifles. We've got Leupold 4.5 - 14 X 50 with the 20 MOA badger ramp on them. Even with the old triggers, most guys are hitting MOA no sweat at those ranges.

I haven't made the decision yet on the triggers, but after a hundred rounds or so this one might get down to the 5 pound range. For a combat gun, that's easily acceptable. The discount price at Brownells was $75.00. DPMS won't sell it cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:30:44 AM EDT
Now I got it down to where I can see it better looks like a bit of very fine buffing to have contact points match up a bit better might be the ticket here to take some of the creep out of it.
I have a 4-14.5X 44 Nikon on it.
I only have it out to 150 yds. right now, and it's done well. If it warms up a bit I'll get a chance to see if that helps.
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:58:17 AM EDT
I would go over to White Oak Armament and order their "tuned" Rock River Trigger. It will come to you set at around 4-1/2lbs. $115, I think. Probably the best you will get short of a Jewell.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:31:42 AM EDT
I am sure you already know this, but be careful when buffing or polishing trigger components.

If you remove the case hardened portions of the material, it reveals the softer metal beneath. Those surfaces will eventually give way and you will likely be very disappointed with the results.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:12:04 PM EDT
Yeah JV I am aware of it, and if I take it to just about where it looks like it should be I'm pretty sure I'll be alright. I also have a friend on speed dial who can reharden them if I screw up. Just going to take it a tad at a time.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:35:07 PM EDT
+1 for the WOP tunned RRA two stage. I have a two jewels and one WOP tunned trigger and to be honest if I had it to do over I would have saved a few bucks and just got the WOP. For a $115 I think it is the best deal out there!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:27:29 PM EDT
don't use the chip macckormic trigger. I am using one and it doesn't always set off the primer when it is cold.
Top Top