BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The short ARCA rail idea...

I tried it and found for short lengths it did not work. The torque applied while in a RRS rail clamp caused the entire metal of the rail to flex and deform like a tin can where the ARCA rail was connected. This needs to be a much more substantial connection like part of a solid chassis or rail or SEVERAL bolt connections to spread the load on an MLOK rail. One or two slots just WONT cut it. Then it gets in the way shooting offhand if you do longer rail to spread the load.

IMO a short ARCA feature needs to be built into a rail or you just get a crazy amount of flex from rotational torque. That or a 4+ MLOK section long unit to spread the load to multiple bolts and accept the big flat section will suck bad for off-hand shooting.

If you want to retain offhand shooting ability I would suggest a hog saddle clamp type device over a RRS ARCA clamp would be a better choice. It will be more rigid than a short bolt on rail and work for all your non ARCA rail weapons.

Just seemed to see your end goal and thought I might save you some headache I already went through.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The Magpul tripod shoe works well

https://magpul.com/m-lok-tripod-adapter.html?mp_global_color=118

The M-LOK Tripod Adapter for metal M-LOK compatible hand guards or forends mounts directly onto any tripod head equipped with the common Manfrotto RC2/Q2 interface. This adapter allows the user to mount their rifle directly to a tripod head without the use of any additional saddles giving them a secure shooting platform.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
When OP says no cross tab bolts, I’m assuming he means pinch tabs like MI. There was just a GD thread where a guys pinch tab cracked and MI refused to warranty it. I’m with OP, pinch tab rails are a no go.
View Quote

What is a pinch tab?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:42:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#4]
One way to secure a freefloat rail is with through bolts and a pair of squeeze tabs

some makers include a keystone that engages a groove on the barrel nut

The bottom tab interferes with having a flat rail close to the mag well
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. Yeah, that is what STNGR uses.  I have a couple of their VLCNs.

Attachment Attached File

18" WOA 3 gun, Nero brake, & Nile grip panels (both from Walker Defense)

Now I'll get paranoid and start looking for cracks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Geissele mk8

Or possibly a monolithic design like the lmt specwar
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnCarter17:
Thanks. Yeah, that is what STNGR uses.  I have a couple of their VLCNs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/423432/P3_jpg-3149762.JPG
18" WOA 3 gun, Nero brake, & Nile grip panels (both from Walker Defense)

Now I'll get paranoid and start looking for cracks.
View Quote

I wouldn’t be paranoid about it. It’s a low effort design but I still wouldn’t say cracking is something that’s common.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top