Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2022 9:13:40 AM EDT
I'm looking to swap out my 12.5 gov  barrel. I'm looking to go either go either the hodge .062 gas port or .064. Current configuration is v5 system with green spring and h2. I only shoot m193. Suppressor use frequent but not all the time.. which gas port should I roll with.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Id rock the bigger one just to have the reliability when the can is off and also run an adjustable gas block to tap gas off when the can is on. With the can on and an AGB, you can probably restrict gas even further and make for a very nice, soft shooting gun.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking to swap out my 12.5 gov  barrel. I'm looking to go either go either the hodge .062 gas port or .064. Current configuration is v5 system with green spring and h2. I only shoot m193. Suppressor use frequent but not all the time.. which gas port should I roll with.
View Quote

I’ve got a 12.5 small port Hodge and it runs 100% un-suppressed, I paired it how Jim suggested…Springco White standard carbine spring and a H2.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’ve got a 12.5 small port Hodge and it runs 100% un-suppressed, I paired it how Jim suggested…Springco White standard carbine spring and a H2.
View Quote

Same.  Except I can't remember which spring I have.  I'll go crack it open and look in a bit.  It will run Wolf unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Tubb flatwire is better than Sprinco. For a 12.5 there's a ton of options. You can just get a BRT tube and keep the existing barrel. Hodge barrels are not very good and are grossly overpriced.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tubb flatwire is better than Sprinco. For a 12.5 there's a ton of options. You can just get a BRT tube and keep the existing barrel. Hodge barrels are not very good and are grossly overpriced.
View Quote

Overpriced yes but please tell why they aren’t very good?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely mediocre accuracy. Can always depend on you to show up and defend Hodge crap like it's your personal identity.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Absolutely mediocre accuracy. Can always depend on you to show up and defend Hodge crap like it's your personal identity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not defending anything…OP asked about port size and opinion on which one to get. You are the one that jumps in and shits in every Hodge thread
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking at the profile of the hodge and the gas port sizes. Im trying to lighten up the current gov barrel i have.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you can go about it by either changing profile to something which brings the same weight further back, or reduces the overall profile and same weight.

So for the former:
Criterion Core
Custom turned something

For the latter:
Black River Tactical
Hodge
Centurion

IMO, you're in a real goldilocks length barrel, so most available barrels are just more gov profile. If it was my money I'd grab a Criterion Core 12.5" since they're about $260 when in stock with an easily found coupon code. Otherwise, BRT. Centurion is just a bit cheaper than the Hodge.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Rosco also has a 12.5 patrol gas length coming out soon. Looks interesting.  Where are these coupons younspeak of. Do you know the gas port size in criterion
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Cores are:
16" - 0.078"
14.5" - 0.074"
13.9" - 0.077"
12.5" - 0.064"
11.5" - 0.069" (can confirm this one myself)

They like most companies act as if it's trade secret stuff but a set of pin gauges is all someone needs. From experience with the Core series they're good for the money and set up for suppressed and unsuppressed. I would recommend if you really want absolute minimum gas you better go for a BRT insert or a custom option. There's a big difference with even a good gas port size depending on your suppressor, ammo, buffer setup, and how efficient the BCG fitment is. But by and large gassing is grossly overexaggerated, and even high end brands like KAC would get called gassy if they sold their barrels standalone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cores are:
16" - 0.078"
14.5" - 0.074"
13.9" - 0.077"
12.5" - 0.064"
11.5" - 0.069"

They like most companies act as if it's trade secret stuff but a set of pin gauges is all someone needs. From experience with the Core series they're good for the money and set up for suppressed and unsuppressed. I would recommend if you really want absolute minimum gas you better go for a BRT insert or a custom option. There's a big difference with even a good gas port size depending on your suppressor, ammo, buffer setup, and how efficient the BCG fitment is. But by and large gassing is grossly overexaggerated, and even high end brands like KAC would get called gassy if they sold their barrels standalone.
View Quote

My core 13.9 measured at 0.074 with my pins.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My core 13.9 measured at 0.074 with my pins.
View Quote

Just from posts from people here I've seen 0.074", 0.076", and 0.078" on their 13.9". I'm concerned Criterion has changed their port sizes up over lots.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 12.5 Hodge barrel with the larger port. I have only shot 5.56 pressure ammo but I like how it shots and very happy with it.

It's not the lightest 12.5 but it was designed more around strength when suppressed. They are not the cheapest barrels, but like I said I am happy with the purchase. I have seen some of the results that others have with this barrel and it's one of the reasons I went with it.

Sadly when you mention Jim's last name on these site, grown many lose thier minds and will immediately label you a troll or fan boy.

In the end I would reccomend the Hodge 12.5, you have to decide for yourself if you want to spend over 400 for one of his barrels.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cores are:
16" - 0.078"
14.5" - 0.074"
13.9" - 0.077"
12.5" - 0.064"
11.5" - 0.069" (can confirm this one myself)

View Quote

Curious as to why they step up port size from 12.5 to 11.5?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no idea. These are reported values from numerous people gauging their own barrels.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to give this barrel a shot.  This is going on a Sol Sage edition anyways so it will fit the gun.

https://www.roscomanufacturing.com/shop/barrels/k9-barrels/k9-12-5-sage-dynamics-5-56-nato/
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because you have to, as barrels get shorter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because you have to, as barrels get shorter.
View Quote

Kinda depends on gas system and whether suppressed or not.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Im trying to lighten up the current gov barrel i have.
View Quote

You're not going to "lighten up" by using a Hodge barrel.  For example, the stripped weight of the 14.5” Hodge Defense barrel is 1 pound, 8.5 ounces. The stripped weight of a standard government profile Colt 14.5” M4 barrel is 1 pound, 9 ounces.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm going to give this barrel a shot.  This is going on a Sol Sage edition anyways so it will fit the gun.

https://www.roscomanufacturing.com/shop/barrels/k9-barrels/k9-12-5-sage-dynamics-5-56-nato/
View Quote

Should be a really good barrel. I see Rosco is also going to do a 11.5 K9
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please post back when you receive it. I'm interested in the actual gas tube length and the port size if you can check it.

It's not light weight at all but the continuous taper looks nice. I like having another option in this barrel length, just hoping it's not ovwrgassed.

I'm on 12.5" kick, have 4 now. Most recent additions are a BRT with their proprietary gas length, 0.072" port. The other new one is actually more like 13" midlength with an allegedly 0.062" port that won't cycle unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You're not going to "lighten up" by using a Hodge barrel.  For example, the stripped weight of the 14.5” Hodge Defense barrel is 1 pound, 8.5 ounces. The stripped weight of a standard government profile Colt 14.5” M4 barrel is 1 pound, 9 ounces.

View Quote

Let me rephrase.   I want to get rid of the fat at the end of the barrel.  After adding a suppressor the nose is to heavy for my liking for manuvavering.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Please post back when you receive it. I'm interested in the actual gas tube length and the port size if you can check it.

It's not light weight at all but the continuous taper looks nice. I like having another option in this barrel length, just hoping it's not ovwrgassed.

I'm on 12.5" kick, have 4 now. Most recent additions are a BRT with their proprietary gas length, 0.072" port. The other new one is actually more like 13" midlength with an allegedly 0.062" port that won't cycle unsuppressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bieve the gas port size is slightly larger then the 12.5 carbine.

https://youtu.be/a8hfBUFZEPk

If I don't see a difference in weight distribution I'll end up buying a core..
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm. Nice video, I like being able to see the actual tube length at least. Was hoping he'd gauge the port but probably most people don't care.

And Criterions are good barrels, you wouldn't be disappointed if that's what you end up with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top