Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2021 2:52:43 PM EDT
Hi guys,

Looks like the Spec War extended MRP's sold out on LMT's site within 5 min (just called, he confirmed w/ Joe).

Looks like the new uppers wont be back in stock for 3 months. They don't have the 12.5 DI barrels yet, all pistol, but they said they already chopped some 14.5 barrels down at the shop and that's essentially all you'll be getting anyway. Didn't wanna bug him with technical questions but sounds like the same gas-port.

If anyone has any more leads or info about these new uppers, let me know!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat, I dig the small changes in that over some of their others.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw some chatter about these uppers in a Facebok group I'm in, with IYKYK. What's so special about these uppers?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out YouTube, on the LMT channel, they have 2 videos explaining the new 2021 stuff (new suppressors coming too).

He rambles a little and is a bit armature in production quality but you can get some info and its nice of him to take the time to do this. They are good people, they answer the phone every time and have answered my questions for the last 5 yrs.

Without going back, the rail is longer and designed for 12 inch + barrels. They got rid of their front QD so you can use the M lok all the way forward (mount your accessories). I think its wider, so you dont have to remove the mlok before the barrel, may be wrong but he talked about it. Also its designed around their new 12.5 inch mid-length barrels that are coming soon. They have 12.5 Pistons but were waiting for DI.

I sold off a ton of stuff that I don't shoot, nice stuff and raised 5k. I'm after a "do it all" platform that suppresses, is short, can use a LPVO out to 200-300, is more lethal past 100 meters than a 10.3. I just want to build out 1 super high quality upper and give it hell, make it my do everything "battle rifle" like we carried our M4's all over Atsan and Iraq...same principle. Eventually throw IR and Nods into the mix end of 2021 (buying a ton of acres this yr).
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they going to have these new lengths in a "quad rail" configuration?
I've got the short and long quads, might as well get in on the "mid."
Got plenty of barrels.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they going to have these new lengths in a "quad rail" configuration?
I've got the short and long quads, might as well get in on the "mid."
Got plenty of barrels.
View Quote

Good question, I don't know. I assumed only in Mlok since that seems to be "the future" as MFG's slowly get away from picatinny but I know that is a solid system still (I like it too).
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good question, I don't know. I assumed only in Mlok since that seems to be "the future" as MFG's slowly get away from picatinny but I know that is a solid system still (I like it too).
View Quote

Well I'm way too old to "upgrade" my shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I saw some chatter about these uppers in a Facebok group I'm in, with IYKYK. What's so special about these uppers?
View Quote

Just different lengths for the MRP. There may be smaller changes but that's the big one. Before they just had something akin to a 9" and a 12" tube.

I appreciate this thread OP - I was really looking forward to the longer MRP-H upper and was able to snag one as you reminded me to look at their website.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I was planning on getting one. Had a tab with the LMT uppers page open on auto-refresh but I'm not lucky enough
Now I'll have to wait forever.
Was thinking about a Criterion 16" chopped to 12" (since they don't make a 12.5" mid) and converted by D.Wilson + BRT gas tube for suppressed only.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was planning on getting one. Had a tab with the LMT uppers page open on auto-refresh but I'm not lucky enough
Now I'll have to wait forever.
Was thinking about a Criterion 16" chopped to 12" (since they don't make a 12.5" mid) and converted by D.Wilson + BRT gas tube for suppressed only.
View Quote

Ah shit haha sorry man. I had known about it "end of Feb" but that's it. Forgot for a few days and saw them Sun (too late).

That's a good idea, I bet a Proof barrel would be sick too.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Pic pulled from the product page

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I really like how they removed the front QD slots.

Looks a lot cleaner, plus I would rather use the mlok QD an put it wherever I want.

Good call. Nice looking upper
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, it's pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]
So about 2 years ago I emailed LMT asking if they had any plans to make an MRP upper that would extend to the length of a 12.5" barrel.  I was planning on building a "mini recce" or a just do all rifle and love the MRP design but wanted the longer rail.  They basically said no, they had no plans on making a new upper to which was disappointing.  Now fast forward 2 years and they come out with this Spec War upper which basically checked all the boxes for everything I could want from an upper/rail.  Can't wait to get one of these in the future.

My only issue is the midlength 12.5" barrel, I worry that in cold temps and with lower quality ammo it will struggle to cycle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So about 2 years ago I emailed LMT asking if they had any plans to make an MRP upper that would extend to the length of a 12.5" barrel.  I was planning on building a "mini recce" or a just do all rifle and love the MRP design but wanted the longer rail.  They basically said no, they had no plans on making a new upper to which was disappointing.  Now fast forward 2 years and they come out with this Spec War upper which basically checked all the boxes for everything I could want from an upper/rail.  Can't wait to get one of these in the future.

My only issue is the midlength 12.5" barrel, I worry that in cold temps and with lower quality ammo it will struggle to cycle.
View Quote

I dunno, they are overgassed to begin with, seems like it wouldn't be a problem even at 12.5"
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's awesome, glad you got what you asked for.

About the ammo,.I'm not "rich" by any means but I only shoot 5.56 (not .223 besides Gold Dot) because of cycling issues. Now thats before all the fake Covid stuff when prices weren't bad, I understand we're sucking for a bit.

Still, I'd much rather feed only brass 5.56 and shoot less vs mess with stuff that jams and isnt 'spec'.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I dunno, they are overgassed to begin with, seems like it wouldn't be a problem even at 12.5"
View Quote

I don't know much but it seems like everything is said to be overgassed, makes me wonder what proper gas is with ultra high reliability. I don't like recoil but never worried that a rifle that ensures the bolt will smash through dirt and debris when you need it, will hurt my shoulder or anything.

Now of it's a bullseye or plinker I get it. But if I'm gonna grab a 556 from under my bed w/ a light, when I'm nervous,  I think I want all the gas!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI I just called LMT and they said they will eventually release more Spec War uppers, but have no timeline to do so.

I missed this product by 2 weeks or so, I didn't even know it was coming. Where is anyone following LMT announcements?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FYI I just called LMT and they said they will eventually release more Spec War uppers, but have no timeline to do so.

I missed this product by 2 weeks or so, I didn't even know it was coming. Where is anyone following LMT announcements?
View Quote

I'm in the same situation, had no clue about this until it was already sold out. A shame, would have been the perfect upper for my MARS lower.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

They started doing a live youtube q&a on the first Monday of the month this past January, lots of good info. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm in the same situation, had no clue about this until it was already sold out. A shame, would have been the perfect upper for my MARS lower.
View Quote

They only released 5 uppers, so there wasnt many at all to go around.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, here's hoping they release a larger batch sometime soon. Looking to setup the LMT as my primary.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#24]
While these do look cool, I am glad that I got an MLR upper. I prefer the narrower profile, as I'm not swapping barrels really ever.
I also prefer the built in QD sockets, though FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LMT needs to make them anti-rotational.
That said, a midlength quad rail would be really cool, and might be something that I would be interested in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top