Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2021 9:23:36 PM EDT
Bought the mid length b5 mlok handguard to hold me over until I save up the funds for a nicer rail. According to the description it will fit on both a round and triangle end cap (I have a triangle). I can put EITHER the top OR bottom piece on alone but damn near impossible to get both on at the same time.

The directions call for bottom section to be installed first. I can do this with just a little love tap to slide it over the barrel but. Next, I attempt to seat the front lip of the top section under the end cap but as I lower it down I cannot seem to slide it forward enough for the groove toward the rear of the handguard to align with the teeth of the barrel nut. Help a noob out!

Mods feel free to move if this is the wrong forum.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought the mid length b5 mlok handguard to hold me over until I save up the funds for a nicer rail. According to the description it will fit on both a round and triangle end cap (I have a triangle). I can put EITHER the top OR bottom piece on alone but damn near impossible to get both on at the same time.

The directions call for bottom section to be installed first. I can do this with just a little love tap to slide it over the barrel but. Next, I attempt to seat the front lip of the top section under the end cap but as I lower it down I cannot seem to slide it forward enough for the groove toward the rear of the handguard to align with the teeth of the barrel nut. Help a noob out!

Mods feel free to move if this is the wrong forum.
View Quote

Sometimes, you can use a flat screwdriver to act as a pry bar. Place the screwdriver between the end of the handguard and the Delta ring with the tip of the screwdriver against the Delta ring. Push the handle of the screwdriver forward against the handguard allowing for the tip to press the Delta ring to the rear. Press down on the handguard until the end of it slips into the Delta ring and remove the screwdriver.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to state the obvious, but are you using a handguard install tool? Most of the time I just pull back the ring with my hand, but there are times when I have to dig out the tool. You can make your own with rod stock.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Stating the obvious is welcomed! Only hand guard install tool I knew of was the delta ring thing.

The flat head screw driver did the trick! Literally every time I post a question on here someone just knocks it out of the park! Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure if this is the install tool that you have or you're referring to, but this one is homemade. Many people don't use them and unless you build a lot, all you would need is a cheap one. They do make it a lot easier.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Use the handgaurd installation tool! It's damn near impossible without.
The lower handguard heat shield will scrape the barrel finish during install -- use tough paper wrapped around the barrel to save the finish. As for caps, the handguard does best with round caps as the triangle one will leave an exposed portion which is easy to burn your hand on. If the upper isnt pinned and welded, try to swap for the round type which takes the handgaurd much easier vs triangle type.
During install, you'll also see some wear or cutting by the cap into the little raised tabs at the area that fits into the cap recess. File just a bit where those wear marks are seen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top