Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2017 10:02:36 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with the UTG Recon Flex M-LOK Bipod TL-BPDM01?
They make both M-LOK and Key-mod versions, a bipod that mounts at 3 and 9 o'clock directly to the free float hand guard.
I've got one on order (to try out and will give it a review once I get it and try it out.) but was trying to find any reviews is next to impossible.

Here is a dead link (not sure if it is ok to hot link this one) to the Leapers, Inc sight that shows the bipod:
https://www.leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&midx=981&allids=981&itemno=TL-BPDM01

And the promo vid:
Introducing Leapers UTG Recon Flex Bipods
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
From the research I've done, they haven't actually been released yet.  The only pictures I've seen so far are from UTG and industry shows like SHOT and others.  Most retailers still say, "ships in 2 to 4 weeks."

Looks interesting, I've been wanting to try out a side mounted bipod that won't get in the way of foregrips, lights, and other accessories, but never felt like dropping $175-$200 on the CAA or Vltor offerings.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I got the email from Optics Planet that my bipod has shipped.
I've a range day planned for the 15th.  Hopefully the bipod will arrive in time to get tested out.
Will submit a review here asap.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope it comes as a nice, pleasant surprise.   UTG has not been very good to me regarding quality and reliability in the past.

It will take some convincing, even with its more adaptable features, to get me to believe that it will be as durable as the USA made good, old fashioned true, real Harris bipod.  it just works.  I've tried several others and keep coming back to it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Well the bipod arrived a day early.
It is much more compact than I was expecting judging by the photos.
I was hoping that it was USA made like their PRO line of handguards but the box says China.

Seems to be very well made, no machine marks or casting flaws.
It is sturdy, the legs fold smoothly.
The legs extend and retract smoothly, lock in between "notches" firmly. (the lock is the same twist style as Harris)
The leg latches that allow the legs to retract are spring loaded, the legs themselves are not,
requiring you to pull the legs out and push them in to adjust them.

Of course the proof is in the using while shooting which should be happening this Sunday and I'll update this post accordingly.
Here are some quick potato photos to show it on my rifle a PA-10 18" barrel
The mag is a 20 round .308 P-Mag:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Well back from the range!

The good:
Very sturdy, worked very well, even able to adjust one leg slightly longer than the other
due to the first shooting bench being a bit warped / unlevel, the in between locks worked perfectly.
The legs locked into all 5 positions, with minimal wiggle or give under recoil (.308 AR).

The OK:
The rubber "feet" are not very tacky or grippy allows the gun to be repositioned easily but could slide depending on the surface it is resting on in particular metal.

The Bad?:
Adjusting the bipod legs from closed (parallel to the barrel either muzzle or butt stock) is not a speedy process,
with a Harris style being spring loaded a simple push springs open each leg.
The UTG requires you to grab the locking ring pull down and move the leg to the desired position. Repeat with other leg.
Slower process but very sturdy.
With the range being up a hill side for the longer ranged targets I wish the legs could have been longer or have a longer length of travel but they worked as designed.

Overall very happy with the unit no mounting issues, legs will stow forward or rearward and works as it should.

Very happy with my new PA 10 rifle but I'll put that review in the correct section.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the review,I've seen pics and had wondered about these.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the review,I've seen pics and had wondered about these.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
@45BArmorer

Would you recommend these over a Harris style?  Does it add significant width to the rifle when the legs are folded up?

I am looking to put one on my PA-10.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, damn. Now I have to buy a set. Hopefully the optics planet deal is still good.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, damn. Now I have to buy a set. Hopefully the optics planet deal is still good.
View Quote
I ordered two today from Optics Planet.  Optics Palnet has a 10% off code for $75 or more.  Came out to $71.98 for two shipped.  For $36 each, I had to try them out.  If I hate them on my AR's, I will put them on my Magpul 10/22 stocks that have Mlok slots at the 3 & 9 o'clock spots.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
@MrGoodkat

The rifle they are on in the photo is my PA10 with the 18" barrel.
I don't think it adds too much width, with them being MLok, they mount very fairly low profile.

As far as better or over the Harris, I think it would come down to price, Though I do like the way these mount and take up less room than the Harris.
since you would have to get an adapter to install the Harris.

Here is a photo to show the width:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@MrGoodkat

The rifle they are on in the photo is my PA10 with the 18" barrel.
I don't think it adds too much width, with them being MLok, they mount very fairly low profile.

As far as better or over the Harris, I think it would come down to price, Though I do like the way these mount and take up less room than the Harris.
since you would have to get an adapter to install the Harris.

Here is a photo to show the width:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69136/1107172038-356368.JPG
View Quote
Awesome!   Thanks for the info and pic.   I will order one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top