Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2017 10:44:10 AM EDT
>>> hope this is the right place for this.  Moderator, pls feel free to move if there is a better spot <<<

Does anyone know of a commercial source to BUY a cut-down front sight base, aka "shaved FSB."  Lots of how-to posts on cutting an existing FSB, but I am looking for a virgin cut-down FSB, fully Parkerized and ready to pin.  Like in the pic below.  I am looking for a good looking cut, not bubba'ed.  I know ADCO and others offer to do this, and make no promises of looking good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would you not want a LPGB that you can pin?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Adco does a great job.   I would trust them over all else.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
This would work, although I'm not sure why you wouldn't just have a regular LPGB pinned to the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thanks.  That is a possible solution.  Not exactly the same thing, and a little pricey.   Thanks.  Still looking.

Quoted:

This would work, although I'm not sure why you wouldn't just have a regular LPGB pinned to the barrel.
You know, what is really interesting and frustrating is that often times on this forum, people have their opinions to a different solution than what was asked.  The question was very specific:  Where can I find a source to buy a cut-down gas block.  I am well familiar with a low profile gas block, and at some point, you have to either assume that the OP (me) is a moron, or that you have a unique source of knowledge that most others do not.  You gave your answer to question that was not asked.  

Quoted:
Adco does a great job.   I would trust them over all else.
I agree that ADCO does great work.  I have used them, and a couple other services.  These guys are great, but, that is another answer to a question that was not asked.  I know ADCO provides this as a service to a barrel and FSB.  I am not looking for a service.  I am looking for a part.

Thank you for reading and posting, but I am still interested in a source for buying a cut-down and milled finished product.  FYI, Adco does not perform the service of milling it down, they even say so.  ADCO expects that the FSB will be cut, not pretty, and hidden under a rail.  In my case, I am looking for part, that by design, will sit outside of the hand guard, using a rifle-length gas tube and 12-1/2" hand guard.  That is the design.  So, I am looking for a functional and visually appealing cut-down FSB.  The part from star15.com comes close.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]
pretty sure i have one sitting in a parts box. iirc i pulled it off an old bushmaster
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Daniel Defense used to make one.  I don't see it on their site anymore.  And it may have been a clamp on, don't recall.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You know, what is really interesting and frustrating is that often times on this forum, people have their opinions to a different solution than what was asked.  The question was very specific:  Where can I find a source to buy a cut-down gas block.  I am well familiar with a low profile gas block, and at some point, you have to either assume that the OP (me) is a moron, or that you have a unique source of knowledge that most others do not.  You gave your answer to question that was not asked.  
View Quote
It's almost like you asked the internet a question.

Given the information you provided, it's stupid to shave a FSB in lieu of pinning a LPGB.  

When you post a similar subject three times in three sections in one day, people assume you don't have any idea what you're doing, so they provide the most useful feedback they can based on the information provided.

If you want more relevant feedback, provide more information.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
pretty sure i have one sitting in a parts box. iirc i pulled it off an old bushmaster
View Quote
This would be what you're looking, just wonder if the pins would line up properly for the gas port alignment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's almost like you asked the internet a question.

Given the information you provided, it's stupid to shave a FSB in lieu of pinning a LPGB.  

When you post a similar subject three times in three sections in one day, people assume you don't have any idea what you're doing, so they provide the most useful feedback they can based on the information provided.

If you want more relevant feedback, provide more information.
View Quote
Really?

This was the question: "Does anyone know of a commercial source to BUY a cut-down front sight base, aka "shaved FSB." Lots of how-to posts on cutting an existing FSB, but I am looking for a virgin cut-down FSB, fully Parkerized and ready to pin. Like in the pic below. I am looking for a good looking cut, not bubba'ed. I know ADCO and others offer to do this, and make no promises of looking good. "

Pretty straight forward, I would think.  If you don't know a source, that's okay.  I am looking and learning as well.  You said, above:  "it's stupid to shave a FSB in lieu of pinning a LPGB"  Oh, that's helpful.  Your opinion.  Notice that I did not ask, "hey guys, what do you think I should do?"  My requirement -- right wrong or stupid -- is to buy a shaved-down FSB, and that is what I asked for.  If you asked where you can buy a 33" shotgun, and I told you that it is stupid to buy a 33" shotgun, when anyone would know that 30" is better, would that be helpful, or me inserting an opinion that is not helpful?

Also, this:  "When you post a similar subject three times in three sections in one day, people assume you don't have any idea what you're doing,"  I have no idea to what you refer.  I don't think I did this.  But, maybe you are stalking me...
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Really?

This was the question: "Does anyone know of a commercial source to BUY a cut-down front sight base, aka "shaved FSB." Lots of how-to posts on cutting an existing FSB, but I am looking for a virgin cut-down FSB, fully Parkerized and ready to pin. Like in the pic below. I am looking for a good looking cut, not bubba'ed. I know ADCO and others offer to do this, and make no promises of looking good. "

Pretty straight forward, I would think.  If you don't know a source, that's okay.  I am looking and learning as well.  You said, above:  "it's stupid to shave a FSB in lieu of pinning a LPGB"  Oh, that's helpful.  Your opinion.  Notice that I did not ask, "hey guys, what do you think I should do?"  My requirement -- right wrong or stupid -- is to buy a shaved-down FSB, and that is what I asked for.  If you asked where you can buy a 33" shotgun, and I told you that it is stupid to buy a 33" shotgun, when anyone would know that 30" is better, would that be helpful, or me inserting an opinion that is not helpful?

Also, this:  "When you post a similar subject three times in three sections in one day, people assume you don't have any idea what you're doing,"  I have no idea to what you refer.  I don't think I did this.  But, maybe you are stalking me...
View Quote
This is a discussion forum.  If you don’t want discussion, don’t post here.

Maybe instead of being so defensive, you can explain to the class why a standard LPGB won’t work for your specific needs.  Maybe it’s something that we’ll all find interesting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
YHM
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Join Date - Check

Posts - Check

Typical defensive you are wrong I am right attitude - Check!

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
YHM
View Quote
That's as close as you're going to get, unless you just want to keep checking pin holes on used ones and hoping for the best. 
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's as close as you're going to get, unless you just want to keep checking pin holes on used ones and hoping for the best. 
View Quote
Thanks.  I think you are correct.  I decided to make a handful.  Buying the FSB for $15, $8 cost to cut and mill, and probably another $5 to Park.  That puts my cost at under $35 each after shipping here and there.  If anyone here wants one, I would be happy to sell to you at my cost.

Tough crowd...

FYI, this is not an "I'm right, your wrong" position.  I have been a lurker here for a while, and a member on other forums.  What I have noticed is the intensity of opinions here to the point of preaching.  I have a specific project that I am working on, where I need the old-school Colt style cut-down FSB.  I am not really at liberty to explain any more, but as my post stated, that is my requirement.  I was only interested to LEARN from others who might have sourced this before I committed to have some MADE.  No, a low-profile gas block does not meet the requirement.  The two look-alike suggestions (thanks) would be good enough, but are cost prohibitive, since I can make for 1/2 the cost.

So, who wants a milled gas block ??  
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This would be what you're looking, just wonder if the pins would line up properly for the gas port alignment.
View Quote
They almost certainly would not.

The only reason to use a shaved fsb is to utilize the existing pins on a barrel with a rail system.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I would want the gas block/fsb that came on my barrel with the hole already drilled and taper pinned...do it yourself or have ADCO do it
the point of having one shaved is so it fits under a handguard anyway no one is even gonna see it.

ADCO will cut your existing FSB for you I have done some and had them do others...they do decent work...

If you can't do it then have someone with a band saw,grinder, belt sander do it for you..get a coat hanger and some high heat stove paint and finish it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would want the gas block/fsb that came on my barrel with the hole already drilled and taper pinned...do it yourself or have ADCO do it
the point of having one shaved is so it fits under a handguard anyway no one is even gonna see it.

ADCO will cut your existing FSB for you I have done some and had them do others...they do decent work...
View Quote
Agree, if I were cutting down and existing gas block.  I am actually looking to install a new virgin gas block onto a virgin rifle.  Yes, ADCO does good work, and several others.  I solved the problem, and had some made.  Offer stands, if anyone wants a new shaved-down gas block, available at cost.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I think you are correct.  I decided to make a handful.  Buying the FSB for $15, $8 cost to cut and mill, and probably another $5 to Park.  That puts my cost at under $35 each after shipping here and there.  If anyone here wants one, I would be happy to sell to you at my cost.

Tough crowd...

FYI, this is not an "I'm right, your wrong" position.  I have been a lurker here for a while, and a member on other forums.  What I have noticed is the intensity of opinions here to the point of preaching.  I have a specific project that I am working on, where I need the old-school Colt style cut-down FSB.  I am not really at liberty to explain any more, but as my post stated, that is my requirement.  I was only interested to LEARN from others who might have sourced this before I committed to have some MADE.  No, a low-profile gas block does not meet the requirement.  The two look-alike suggestions (thanks) would be good enough, but are cost prohibitive, since I can make for 1/2 the cost.

So, who wants a milled gas block ??  
View Quote
I have always been under the impression that the only reason these exist is when someone wants a longer, floated handguard on a rifle that is equipped with a pinned FSB. A workaround to not have unused pin holes showing on said barrel.

Maybe you could explain why someone would want one of these as opposed to the multitude of options for a gas block that can be pinned in place. Perhaps then you might have some takers on your question above.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have always been under the impression that the only reason these exist is when someone wants a longer, floated handguard on a rifle that is equipped with a pinned FSB. A workaround to not have unused pin holes showing on said barrel.

Maybe you could explain why someone would want one of these as opposed to the multitude of options for a gas block that can be pinned in place. Perhaps then you might have some takers on your question above.
View Quote
Need for a specific build, and that is the design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top