Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 5:12:50 PM EDT
I'm now deciding on a flash hider. Any suggestions? Is the A2 1/2 birdcage effective?  What about the three prong flash hiders; are they any good?  For example:

https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-upper-parts/muzzle-devices-muzzle-brake-flash-hider-concussion-device/frh-1-flash-redirecting-multipurpose-flash-hider-external-thread-adapter-34-16/

I'm looking for simple, effective, and easy to clean. I'm not looking for tacti-cool barrel-bling.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You clean a FH? You mean "dunk in solvent and then rub with old rag if it gets too caked in carbon to get a suppressor on and off?"

If you want flash suppression and simplicity, just get an A2. If you want a suppressor, get whatever FH works as a mount for it.

I have a BE Meyers 249Saker on my rifle, if you don't plan to run a Saker, the standard 249F is one of the most effective out there. It'll ping if I flick it, but I have yet to notice any while shooting. Surefire Warcomp is going to be one of the most shootable flash hiding mounts, but won't hide flash quite as much due to it's comp ability. Overall best shootability and flash suppression is going to go to AFAB/EFAB, but I don't know of any suppressors that work with those.

Really though, for price, the A2 isn't beatable. 1.13 lux, compared to the 1.03 the BE Meyers will get, and the 1.01 that the (no longer produced) JP Enterprises had. I'd advise reading through this test, as well as the previous one, and then deciding for yourself what is worth the cost for the minor differences in flash suppression. An A2 isn't going to blind you, and it isn't going to be super easy to spot either. If you need something even harder to see than the A2, then you probably need a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
What barrel length gun are you putting this flash hider on?  If 16", an A2 will work just fine.  If it is shorter, you may want to take a look at Smith Enterprises Vortex.

11.5" 5.56 with A2

16" 5.56 with A2
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You can spend a lot more, but won't get a lot more for the cost of a good ole A2.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I like Forward Controls Design 6315.  it provides 20-25% muzzle rise compensation and flash suppression works as well as A2.  Also no increase of noise or concussion.  Reasonably priced as well
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
For the money, the Phantom, or you can spend money and get something better.
Tests click here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My SureFire SF3P works wonders. It's a little expensive, but it works really well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tests click here.
View Quote
phantom 5C2 works great, looks cool, and is pretty inexpensive to boot
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Vortex is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:29:55 AM EDT
[#10]
For all of my guns, they have A2 Bird cages on them, I have an enhanced 3 prong sitting here on the coffee table, that I am probably going to have to build a gun for, but the A2 works just fine for all around use.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For all of my guns, they have A2 Bird cages on them, I have an enhanced 3 prong sitting here on the coffee table, that I am probably going to have to build a gun for, but the A2 works just fine for all around use.
View Quote
Thanks. The A2 is probably the way I will go. I like things that stand the test of time. Do you recommend a brand or manufacturer?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I want to try out the new Surefire closed tine flash hiders

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:04:07 AM EDT
[#13]
A2, you can't beat it for $8-$10. Hell, sometimes you can get it for free if you ask some of the members here. Everything else is usually for cool factor, bragging rights, and sometimes suppressor mounting.

I'll admit, I bought a Phantom and a Surefire just for looks and to brag  at the range.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#14]
The YHM Phantom models, 5C1 and 5C2, have a differently shaped front edge, but otherwise perform identically.  They are dirt cheap and in comparison tests perform almost as well as the much more expensive offerings from others and better than all but a few.  The 5C2 has an aggressive front edge.  The 5C1 looks more traditional, more like an A2 bird cage, but better at flash suppression.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The Silencerco 3 prong and Phantom perform about the same but dont ring. Slightly better than an A2. The next step is BE Meyers, AAC Blackout, and Smith Vortex. Those ping but are a small step better than the Phantom and Silencerco 3 prong.

IMO,

A2 on a 16"

Phantom or Silencerco on a 14.5"

BE Meyers, AAC Blackout, or Smith Vortex on a 11.5"

Those will all appear to have to no flash.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I like Wilson Combat's Accu-Tac for a three prong.  I mostly use bird cages though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Vortex.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I too was looking for the best flash hider and read both of the test reports mentioned above. Like others said the JP copy of the Vortex, the Smith Vortex, the Phantom, A2 and Rise has a 4 prong.
You might still find a JP in stock at some vendors and it will be half the price of the Smith Vortex.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like Forward Controls Design 6315.  it provides 20-25% muzzle rise compensation and flash suppression works as well as A2.  Also no increase of noise or concussion.  Reasonably priced as well
View Quote
Sounds like a company ad.

1. It's just an A2 that has better machining.
2. It does not provide ANY increased compensation vs an A2.
3. An A2 does not provide 20-25% decrease in muzzle rise.
4. It is NOT reasonable in price compared to an A2 since it's only benefit is looks and costs 6x the price of an A2.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#20]
A2–>Phantom->Vortex in order of total performance but value for your dollar is highest with the A2 and lowest with the Vortex.

As far as A2 brands go I just buy whichever one is in stock, I’d bet they’re made by the same people.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

4. It is NOT reasonable in price compared to an A2 since it's only benefit is looks and costs 6x the price of an A2.
View Quote
It is not an ad.  The owner of the company posts here.  I think his screen name is @Duffy or something similar.  And no it is not just an A2 with better machining, it is a comp as well.  As far as price it is obviously more expensive than an A2, but cheaper than many combo devices
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tests click here.
View Quote
Me too. I like the Phantom. It works great, looks good and won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a rifle with a Phantom on it, and it works SLIGHTLY better than a standard A2, but only slightly. The A2 is the best for the $$ value to actual effectiveness.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Vortex

Edit-  If price is a factor when considering small parts like a FH, get yourself a new hobby.  If its more than a hobby, consider whats on the line...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I've pretty much standardized on the Daniel Defense flash hider for most of my ARs. They are basically a more refined A2 style flash hider made of stainless steel and salt bath nitride finished.

These do a great job at dissipating muzzle flash, and can regularly be found on the EE as new take offs in the $20-$25 range vs. ~$50 new elsewhere.

I also like the YHM Phantom. Solid choice for a decent price.

From most of the various videos I've seen though, the Smith Vortex seems to be one of the most effective flash hiders out there. I have what is basically POF's version of the Vortex that is about half the length. I took it off of my factory POF P415 7.25" upper, and ended up putting it on my Colt LE6920. I've never seen one of these flash hiders sold by itself, so I have no idea where you would buy one.

I need to get it out sometime at night and see how it does.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A2–>Phantom->Vortex in order of total performance but value for your dollar is highest with the A2 and lowest with the Vortex.

As far as A2 brands go I just buy whichever one is in stock, I’d bet they’re made by the same people.
View Quote
I think you mean Vortex > Phantom > A2 in regards to performance.

I use Vortexes exclusively. They are very effective, don't require a crush washer, mount against the muzzle, and are self tightening. They are expensive compared to an A2 but aren't compared to most suppressor mounts or brakes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been around arfcom a bit as you can tell, I wouldn't use a shill to promote our products.  If I did, don't you think they'd appear on arfcom more often?  Since we're not an advertiser here anymore, I tread lightly when a thread involves our products and post info only.

To those my screen name doesn't ring a bell, I was one of the two guys that started Battle Arms in 2009.  I left in 2014 to start Forward Controls Design.  Many of the articles I wrote are still pinned in their Industry forum.

6315 isn't an A2, though we did take pains to use A2 TDP so it can be compatible with BFA and A2 mounted cans.  

It does have very good machining, but that's the point of 6315.  Any change to the ports will have an affect on how gas is vented.  Even the A2's symmetrical ports with closed bottom do that, though it's hard to perceive.  

When more gas is vented upward than side ways, it also produces results.  6315's 3 and 9 o'clock ports are about 30% smaller than the upward facing ports, the result is less gas vented sideways, no gas vented downward (same as an A2), with less muzzle rise and quicker return to target.

This video quite aptly demonstrate the effect of ports placement and to a lesser extent, size.  Though it is a brake on the HK51, not an A2.  This muzzle device was made for me by the late Kurt Wala of KKF.  It's a brake with closed bottom, quite like the 6315 except it has a small exit hole, while 6315's muzzle end is wide open.  It got loose after shooting and started rotating, and moving the muzzle in the opposite direction of the ports.

Effects of ports arrangement and position

Those that have shot with the 6315 have expressed surprise at how a simple change would produce this effect, most of them were dubious of our modest claim too, at first.

To dismiss it out of hand without first hand experience would make these assertions conjecture without basis.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one of the Forward Controls 6315s on a rifle and its significantly better than an A2. Not a paid shill, just a happy customer.

Things don’t have to be super fancy or complicated to work well, just well thought out and executed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's a video of A2 and 6315 comparison.  We struggled with trying to capture its performance on video, and finally realized it's best demonstrated in bursts.

A2 and 6315 split screen 1 muted
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A2.
View Quote
This is simple, effective, and easy to clean with the bonus of not costing a small fortune
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here's a video of A2 and 6315 comparison.  We struggled with trying to capture its performance on video, and finally realized it's best demonstrated in bursts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR00fQugd-A
View Quote
You guys make some great products and obviously understand the science behind what you sell.  Those of us that deal with you on a regular basis understand "boutique" products aren't what you guys are about.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you

Making something for looks but not better is fashion, which has a market and audience to be sure, but it's not us.

That 6315 looks like an A2 is because we want it to be BFA and A2 mounted sound suppressors compatible, and the ports arrangement of the A2 happens to work very well to suppress flash and dust signature, there was no reason to change it.  The Stoner LMG 63 style ports are a personal preference over the more angular A2 ports, they also allow us to more easily shorten and narrow the 3 and 9 o'clock ports, so the shape of the ports too, has a practical reason.  6315 has a larger internal cone to maximize surface area, its wall thickness is closer to that of a G3 flash suppressor.  

If we wanted to make it look more different, I suppose it'd get more attention, but if it didn't bring tangible improvements, we'd only be deceiving customers.  So the classic A2 shape stayed, and the differences between the two are quite subtle.

In the pic below, the smaller and shorter 3 and 9 o'clock ports are easily visible, compared to other 3 upward facing ports.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:55:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Most prong flash hiders work as well or better then the cage style similar to the A2.
Having said that... What barrel length are you using? if you are using a 14.5 or 16 inch,  the A2, YHM Phantom or similar will work fine and don't  cost much...

If its a short barrel, I have been using the AAC Blackout non mount on my 8.5 inch 5.56 and I am pleased with the results. In testing it worked nearly as well as the current "king of flash suppression" the B.E. Myers, but the AAC is only $50 and is 2.1 inches vs $100+ and almost 2.7  inches for the B.E. Myers.

one thing to note is that most prong flash suppressors make a "TING, TING, TING" tuning fork sound. It doesn't bother me but some people find it annoying.

probably the most important factor is the ammo you use... the cheap stuff usually has more flash then high quality ammo.

Try using ammo that is made with lower flash propellant with the A2... you may find that you don't need to buy a new FH after all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the KAC QDC. Pronged FH effectiveness, but without that annoying tuning fork sound. Can be had as new takeoffs for like $60 in the EE
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you all. This has been very helpful in my decision making.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A2.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A2.
View Quote
A2 or Smith Vortex. Although I’m perfectly happy with a birdcage.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Agreed, but the MOST EFFECTIVE flash suppressor is the B.E. Meyers M249F
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YHM Phantom 5C2 and be done with it.

It's the most effective flash hider for the money in my book.
Agreed, but the MOST EFFECTIVE flash suppressor is the B.E. Meyers M249F
Yes sir!!  And the sheer weight of it helps mitigate muzzle rise....................
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I went with the A2.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR00fQugd-A
View Quote
I noticed that you muted the sound.  It is clearly effective as a brake.  Don't know where it fits in the flash hider spectrum.

I have three words for brakes:  Brakes are loud.  Typically so obnoxiously loud no one want to be around when brake equipped rifles are in use.

I have one brake only.  Of necessity on a lightweight .300 Weatherby Magnum Mark V bolt gun and must wear very effective over the ear hearing protection when shooting it.  I warn bystanders about this.  And shoot only enough to verify zero.  And, that is from a 26" barrel. No love here for brakes on ARs used around others.  I will not be "that guy" at the range.

My favorite AR flash hider is the straight muzzle profile Phantom 5C1 for flash suppression effectiveness, budget friendly price and no tuning fork ping noise.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#43]
The video was muted because these two videos were shot in slow motion, audio would be just annoying and not contributing to anything.   The report and difference of a loud brake or A2 is easily discernible in person, much less so in videos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top