Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:22:21 PM EDT
New AR owner, been an AK owner for almost 20 years, I was wondering what kind of spare parts I should keep on hand. Are there any spare part "kits" I should buy, or just specfic parts I should aqcuire.
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
A complete, quality, bolt carrier group with firing pin is always a smart thing to have.  

At the very least, a spare bolt, firing pin, and extractor.  Extractors are wear items.

I'd recommend a used Colt BCG, or a new Bravo Company or Spikes BCG.  All are now built to mil spec and tested thoroughly.  The spikes and maybe the Bravo Company have upgraded extractors to handle steel-cased ammo better.

A lot of people will buy an AR off the shelf, like a bushmaster, dpms, stag, S&W, etc, etc, and then replace their BCG with a Spikes or Bravo Co and keep the original bolt carrier group as their spare.  If you read the "what goes wrong in a carbine course" thread, a lot of pain is avoided by running quality BCG and having spares for those parts.

I could probably stop right there, but I'll add a few more thoughts.....

If you run illuminated optics, lights, lasers, etc, etc, extra batteries no matter how remote the possibility is that the batts will die.  Along with that, any tools needed to adjust your optics or mounts.  (i.e. torx/hex wrench, coins, 3/8" wrench etc, etc.)  Don't forget the blue loc-tite for when you discover your scope mount was coming loose.

And as with any gun, a bit of oil can do wonders to keep you running.  Everyone has their favorite, but a small bottle of oil seems to get jammy guns running again easily.  Oil it well before your first trip.

I'd also pack a 20-24" wooden dowel the first few range sessions if you are running steel-cased ammo.  Some like to stick in tight chambers.  You will know quickly if your gun will run steel ammo.  If it does, you can start leaving the dowel at home.

A full lower parts kit should find it's way into your collection at some point too.  Say you change your stock, and the little springs that work the safety detent goes flying into the grass......... Good stuff to have.  Sucks big time to slap on a new stock on a Friday night, loose your spring, and have to sit at home all weekend when you had planned to hit the range.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
None!  Spare parts will only lead to more rifles ....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^^agreed^^^^

if you like to tinker an change things then a spare lower parts kit would be a definate. or at least the springs. i have lost so many springs in changing my ar's. o and another thing if you lose a sproing buy the one that was made for it. one time i lost a disconnect spring an used a spring out of a lead pencil. shot several rounds as a 2 shot burst an also had a couple of 6-10 shot burst.very  good way to get in trouble or hurt....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to keep a spare bolt, gas key and screws, extractor, ejector, several firing pin retaining pins, firing pins, gas tube.  Throw in a spare lower parts kit, sring kit, and pit kit and you will be set.  If you take this approach, your rifles begin to multiply
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have several AR's and have given a lot of thought to this.  As mentioned above, a spare bolt, firing pin, and extractor for each rifle.  I have two lower parts kits on hand as well.  So far, it has been easy to get any small parts I need online or locally.  Beyond that, if society devoles and gets ugly, I will just cannibalize the other rifles to keep one or two AR's running.  Fortunately, AR15's are pretty robust and I have had few parts break or wear out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I use an MOE grip and UBR stock.  In the grip I keep a spare bolt.  It's just easier to replace a bolt in the field than it is to repair one.  In the stock I complete set of springs and detents because ya never know.  If I need to replace anything else, having the part will likely not help since I probably won't have the necessary tools.  Oh, and a couple of spare batteries for the Nightforce.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
None!  Spare parts will only lead to more rifles ....

You got that right.

Nonetheless, I keep a few LPKs, a complete BCG , charging handles, spare bolt parts, and buffer tube and springs handy.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Be careful. I have gotten so much stuff now you will soon see me on that Horders show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top