Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 7:58:44 PM EDT
Colt is out of my price range.  I'm looking at CMMG so far.  
Anyone else worth checking out?  Looking for a 16 inch A2 or flat top superlight upper.

Front runner is CMMG lightweight 14.7 w/ perm phantom.

(must be compelte upper, no parts.  and have to beat CMMg's price, must have M4 feed ramps)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster makes one.  IIRC Model 1 does, too (I'm not recommening it).  I built one from a Bushmaster barrel and Les Baer upper w/o forwars assiste (to minimize weight) with a Clark Custom (same as DPMS) carbon fiber free-float tube and a colt bolt/carrier group.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
bushmaster from gds_enterprise
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
On the EE you can find Colt 6520 uppers (A2, 16" lightweight) for $400 without the B/C/CH. I doubt the CMMG upper will be much cheaper than that......
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On the EE you can find Colt 6520 uppers (A2, 16" lightweight) for $400 without the B/C/CH. I doubt the CMMG upper will be much cheaper than that......

same price.  little over 500 complete.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If they're the same price, I'd go Colt's all the way.  Not saying that CMMG makes a bad product, but I'd prefer the Colt's upper.  The Colt's barrel has the "proper" FSB; CMMG does not.  If you don't care about the contour of the barrel under the FSB, then of course it's a moot point, and I'd go CMMG in that case because you'll likely save a little.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If they're the same price, I'd go Colt's all the way.  Not saying that CMMG makes a bad product, but I'd prefer the Colt's upper.  The Colt's barrel has the "proper" FSB; CMMG does not.  If you don't care about the contour of the barrel under the FSB, then of course it's a moot point, and I'd go CMMG in that case because you'll likely save a little.

explain?????
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
cmmg is a .750 bbl. turned down to lightweight profile but still .750 at the fsb.

bushmaster and colt have the true .625 fsb
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
cmmg is a .750 bbl. turned down to lightweight profile but still .750 at the fsb.

bushmaster and colt have the true .625 fsb

Exactly...  Therefore, a Bushmaster or Colt lightweight will be lighter than a CMMG, Model1, DPMS, etc.

Of course, the Bushmaster doesn't have M4 feed ramps, but I have one and have never seen the need for the M4 ramps.

Building lightweights is fun...  If you don't already have Forest's weight table, get it!  It makes planning a whole lot easier.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The Colt 6520 has a regular front sight base. The F front sight base is just for flat tops. I love the 6520, I just wish I could get it with A1 sights.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Eagle Firearms has a lightweight upper as well. That is the one I am considering.

Eagle
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Eagle Firearms has a lightweight upper as well. That is the one I am considering.

Eagle

WHAT THE F%CK!!!!!!! 430 complete!?!?!?!?!

16" Super Light  Chrome Lined Preban Upper

This 16" upper uses a Shaw chrome lined super light profile (light weight it's entire length), 1/9 twist, 5.56 NATO chambered barrel.  This upper comes with a removable A2 flash hider, bayonet lug, .625" forged front sight base and CAR style handguards.  Available with either an A4 flat top upper or an A2 fixed carry handle upper (+$25) with adjustable 800 Meter sights (choose at checkout).

Complete upper receiver assy with bolt/carrier and charging handle
$429.00
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Is that good or bad? Seems like a good deal to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

at least 100$ less than anywhere else for similar setup.

plus it is 1/9, chrome lined and colt profiled, e.g. lightweight throughout barrel.

since I was already prepared to spend 550-600 this means I can get a DD7.0 installed.  it actually weighs about .3 ounces ess than teh handguards and barrel nut and HG retaining cap.  so it's a weight saving measure.  at least that's my excuse.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
That's what I thought you meant. A similar Model 1 chrome lined is $420. I would prefer the Eagle setup as I have had good deals with them before.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

plus it is 1/9, chrome lined and colt profiled, e.g. lightweight throughout barrel.

since I was already prepared to spend 550-600 this means I can get a DD7.0 installed.  it actually weighs about .3 ounces ess than teh handguards and barrel nut and HG retaining cap.  so it's a weight saving measure.  at least that's my excuse.

That's awesome!  If I didn't already have one, I'd have to buy one!

Hey, not to go spoiling anyone's need to buy goodies, BUT the DD 7.0 is lighter than M4 handguards, but NOT standard carbine handguards.  (Again, you need to get Forest's excellent spreadsheet)  Also, that DD 7.0 weight is for the bare forend, WITHOUT rail covers.  Ladder panels weigh .5 oz each, so 4 full ladder panels increase the weight by 2 ounces.  The MagPul XT panels weigh .6 or .7 each, I can't remember.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's awesome!  If I didn't already have one, I'd have to buy one!

Hey, not to go spoiling anyone's need to buy goodies, BUT the DD 7.0 is lighter than M4 handguards, but NOT standard carbine handguards.  (Again, you need to get Forest's excellent spreadsheet)  Also, that DD 7.0 weight is for the bare forend, WITHOUT rail covers.  Ladder panels weigh .5 oz each, so 4 full ladder panels increase the weight by 2 ounces.  The MagPul XT panels weigh .6 or .7 each, I can't remember.

interesting
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Building lightweights is fun...  If you don't already have Forest's weight table, get it!  It makes planning a whole lot easier.

+1  Forest's spreadsheet is a great resource.  If something's not on there, slap it on a scale and email him.  He'll update the spreadsheet and add you to the credits.

The one-piece handguard/free float tube DPMS and Clark Custom guns sells are hella lightweight.  The DPMS ones weren't available when I did my build, so I cut down a Clark to carbine length.  4 oz. even, IIRC.

If you can live without a forward assist, Les Baer and others sell regular flattop uppers without them that save an ounce or two.  Some of the flattops without FAs are actually heavier than a regular flattop with an FA because the walls are thicker.  IIRC that is the case with the DPMS Lo Pro.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Forest's spreadsheet is a great resource.  If something's not on there, slap it on a scale and email him.  He'll update the spreadsheet and add you to the credits.

The one-piece handguard/free float tube DPMS and Clark Custom guns sells are hella lightweight.  The DPMS ones weren't available when I did my build, so I cut down a Clark to carbine length.  4 oz. even, IIRC.

If you can live without a forward assist, Les Baer and others sell regular flattop uppers without them that save an ounce or two.  Some of the flattops without FAs are actually heavier than a regular flattop with an FA because the walls are thicker.  IIRC that is the case with the DPMS Lo Pro.

anyone know the weight of the dpms carbon HG?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
bushmaster from gds_enterprise

+1

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds exactly like what I want to do.  If you get it, please post report and pictures.  I've got a birthday coming up.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

anyone know the weight of the dpms carbon HG?

I want to say 7 oz.  It might be on Forest's spreadsheet - I weighed mine before and after I cut it.  I just don't recall  the pre-cut weight for sure.  I used a Clark, but the Clark and DPMS units look identical except the DPMS units have anodized barrel nuts.  BTW Rainier Tactical/Northwest Tactical (a spondsor in the Industry section) has the DPMS tubes on sale right now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#22]
well I had an aimpoint planned for this, but the lord wants me to keep it simple.  finishing up a deal for a ban-era colt lightweight A2 upper.  KISS baby. KISS.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#23]
What about this:
Bushmaster barrel (variety of lengths, lightweight included) built on CMT laser T-marked A3 receiver - $380
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=281083

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#24]
a wee too pricey.,  I'm working on a trde for that colt A2 lightweight upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top