Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 4:28:00 PM EDT
Somehow I had one of my gas rings in the bolt slowly get ground down to the point where there was only about 2/3 of a ring remaining. During the cleaning process It broke in half and fell off. I'm looking for a place that sells a replacement rings or a new bolt.  If I do replace only the rings should I replace all of them or just the one.  I'm thinking a new bolt would be an easier option albeit, more expensive.

On a good note if you only have 2 and 2/3 rings the weapon will fire just fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Shaferhunde:  gas rings should be replaced about every thousand rounds for reliability, or if you don't shoot that much, once a season.  Sources are all over, DPMS, Armalite, Bushmaster, Olympic, etc.  Replace them in three ring sets.  They are not that difficult to remove, the use of a straight pin will assist in prying the used rings out of the groove.  To replace, just insert rings one at a time and use some lubricant and not a lot of force.  Prices on rings depends on who you get them from, but should be under five bucks for all three.  Make sure to offset the ring gaps every 120 degrees or so.  Put a good quality oil on the new rings before replacing bolt in the carrier, go shoot it a few times and they should be broken in.  Your zero might change some, but not much.(End)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info. It's been about 1000 rounds anyways... I'll look on one of those sites.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Try the one-piece gas ring, I dont know who makes 'em Brownells sells 'em and prolly many a vendor here on the site.  Sorry normally I would get you a part# but I was just scanning the boards before I go pop my eyes out and soak them in ice water overnight and saw your post - oh hell I'll go get it ...#100-001-257 McFarland Gas ring 3kz02z54 $3.20- ' Single spiral of spring steel loops around the bolt three times and leaves no path for gas leakage. . . replaces conventional three piece "piston ring" style sets that can accidentally line up and causing a major leak from the gas expansion.  Brownells 800 741 0015 or www.brownells.com
I have had a set in for about 800 rounds and I forgot they were in til I saw your post and my 'bine is running fine. - Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
how exactly do you install them If they are one piece? Is it similar to putting a key or a keyring?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Exactly, the loops / coils spread apart and they go on just like a keyring. And no alignment worries no single ring failure and unless something strange happens I see them going well beyond 1 thousand rounds - well beyond. They are a definite bolt upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#6]
i have used the mcfarland one piece rings and havent noticed a difference between them and the std. ones other than the price.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont think a 1 piece gas ring is a performance product , its just designed to ease replacement and simplifies a non ham handed procedure...and the one piece design does not appear as fragile as the original and if I had to change gas rings in the field ... I would prefer to have dig just one out than three ...thats the upgrade. IMO
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#8]
i have rifles with over 10k through them and still using the gas rings that came in them.

agree that the one piece is not a performance upgrade i was trying to state that the "idea" behind it being one piece is that there is no room for gas leaks which lead to short stroking and the like. i myself have never experienced a short stroke due to "lined up" gaps with the three rings. my .02? no problems with them no problems without them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Point taken... it just seems schaferhunde did not know that a 1 piece ring was an option.
Which would make replacement for him easier, since an Armorer he may not be versus him buying a new bolt assembly unless of course that is what he wants.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Replacing gas rings every 1000 rounds?  You must be kidding!!!!  I'd have spent half my time as an armorer replacing the things if that were the case.  The basic test we used to test ring tension was to pull the bolt fully forward in the carrier (cam pin in place), place the bolt face down on the table, with the carrier straight up.  If the weight of the carrier was sufficient to cause it to drop down on the bolt, we'd replace the rings.  

Now that was ensuring combat reliability.  I'm sure for most range rifles less tension than that would be just fine.  

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I was wondering about  that my self... I figured the range weapons didn't get as much care as others.  Where are you out of anyways? I'm normally stationed at Miramar, at the moment I'm sitting on a naval vessel in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I had worn rings, and broke one ring completely and the other was bent and not even in the groove, and the final one was in not real condition worth mentioning, but even then the gun was still shooting.  

I put in a McFarland one piece, but I really see no reason to get them, but it goes with the magpul trigger guard and other less than necessary items on my gun.  Titanium firing pin and PRI flip ups are next...then the CMT MPI bolt and carrier, and MATECH buis, and an da ndand...I should just get back into drugs again, it was cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I was told by a Bushmaster tech that the gas rings should be replaced about every two - to- three thousand rounds fired.

By the time I hit five thousand rounds, I was experiencing some occasional short stroking issues. Popped in some new gas rings and the blaster was good to go
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had worn rings, and broke one ring completely and the other was bent and not even in the groove, and the final one was in not real condition worth mentioning, but even then the gun was still shooting.  

I put in a McFarland one piece, but I really see no reason to get them, but it goes with the magpul trigger guard and other less than necessary items on my gun.  Titanium firing pin and PRI flip ups are next...then the CMT MPI bolt and carrier, and MATECH buis, and an da ndand...I should just get back into drugs again, it was cheaper.

i dont see any point of titanium firing pins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top