Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 7:05:52 AM EDT
I know this question has been asked here a few times.

I think there are alot of us (including myself ) wanting to build A1 rifles that look correct in every detail.

I am still on Colt-653's list for new A1 lowers, but we have not had an update in some time from Brad.

Will any of the current A2 lower manuf. step up and fill the void?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]
probably not
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be interested.  Would it require a different forge die to do?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Although the retro build has become like last year's SPR, I highly doubt we'll ever seen any, and if we do they will be in small numbers from a small manufacturer carrying a very large price.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
It was attempted by ASA, but whining prevented it from becoming a reality. Logically they were taking A2 lowers and milling off the reinforcements. A few things could of been done better on it. I wish it were still an option.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Although the retro build has become like last year's SPR, I highly doubt we'll ever seen any, and if we do they will be in small numbers from a small manufacturer carrying a very large price.

I agree with you. I think most of the kits are gone now and we're past the peak in the retro- phase. So if they come about it'll be low production and high price. But I'd still like to have two of them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Retro is going to be the next M4 or SPR (I hope...)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#7]
What would it take cost wise to have a standard run of A2s, but modify the front pivot pin area to A1 spec, and mill out the rear reinforcement so it was A1 looking?

Can it be done easily with a CNC mill prior to anodizing?

If so, would it be possible to have a run done - e.g. a certain # required to get a price break for the programming - then send to Victor for anodizing in a Colt gray?  

Visual model would be the pre-ban PWA A1 lower, I guess. It'd be good enough.

Key'd be to simply make a set (100?) of nice lowers; "this is what I am making. An A1 lower.  This is what the engraving will be."  

Next run'd be the 'semi-slab' style.  But seriously, how hard would this be to do - either from forged blanks, or offered as an 80%?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Cost I am not sure.

The rear ring would be a major problem to mill to spec.

I would be happy with the fence removed and the pivot pin area cut.

That would be close enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I really don't see how some companies find making left hand uppers (which require new dies) profitiable yet retro receivers wouldn't be profitable (also requiring new dies).

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know this question has been asked here a few times.

I think there are alot of us (including myself ) wanting to build A1 rifles that look correct in every detail.

I am still on Colt-653's list for new A1 lowers, but we have not had an update in some time from Brad.

Will any of the current A2 lower manuf. step up and fill the void?

How about buying a lower, filing/Dremeling away at the front takedown lugs and rear A2 reinforcements, then having it refinished?  Shouldn't be too difficult.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a local machine shop do one for me. Machine cost was $85. Sandblasting the rest of the finish off, chemical cleaning dip and re-anodizing was another $40. Now I'm looking for someone a little cheaper to remove a shell deflector from a flat top receiver and refinish it to go with my A1 carry handle. Either start calling shops in your yellow pages or Email the vendors listed here on the board and ask for prices. I don't think you will ever see even a small production run of lowers. I looked and waited eight years before having mine done. Or you could just go out and buy a beater preban Colt and have it refinished.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had a local machine shop do one for me. Machine cost was $85. Sandblasting the rest of the finish off, chemical cleaning dip and re-anodizing was another $40. Now I'm looking for someone a little cheaper to remove a shell deflector from a flat top receiver and refinish it to go with my A1 carry handle. Either start calling shops in your yellow pages or Email the vendors listed here on the board and ask for prices. I don't think you will ever see even a small production run of lowers. I looked and waited eight years before having mine done. Or you could just go out and buy a beater preban Colt and have it refinished.

Got pics of that lower?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top