Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 1:43:56 PM EDT
There are a lot of KAC M5 RAS for sale relatively cheap on the EE... are they coming out with a new model?

One seller claims his is not "Arisoft", how can you tell the difference between a real and fake M5?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
There are a lot of KAC M5 RAS for sale relatively cheap on the EE... are they coming out with a new model?

One seller claims his is not "Arisoft", how can you tell the difference between a real and fake M5?

The M5 is now becomming outdated, with units that will freefloat the barrel and allow the same attachments becomming available for about the same money as the non-FF versions.
Never seen an Airsoft one, so I don't know what to look for without actually handling it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Flavor of the month... M5 RAS isn't it. But, unless you need to mount optics or other sighting equipment far forward on your handguards, the M5 is a good railed handguard. It's easy to mount (doesn't require removing the delta ring assembly or dismantling your AR's barrel), works great for lights and VFGs, has perfectly in-spec rails, and is very light. True, it isn't free floated, but that won't really matter unless -- you guessed it, you need to mount optics forward of your flattop. Or if you're bothered by the VFG being able to torque the lower handguard around a bit (not a big deal, you can still drive your rifle with the VFG just fine).

For the vast majority of shooters requiring a rifle length railed handguard (and that don't want to disassemble their rifles), it's a good solution, especially at the prices I'm seeing on the EE now (including rail panels and VFGs). Did I mention it was light?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, it's tough to tell the difference between airsoft and genuine. in eBay photos  If you see a purplish color on the unit, that's a good sign that it's real.  It's the anodizing of the aluminum in the flash photo.

Once you have it in your hands, it's quite clear.  The manufacturer of the airsoft replica will have their name on it somewhere.  It will also not fit very well and will not mount in the same manner as a genuine unit.

Best thing to do is specifically ask the seller that it's genuine and not airsoft before you buy.  If they are not definitively clear, then move on.  If they are clear, you are protected.  They are either telling you the truth and you'll get the real thing or you have them misrepresenting the item (maybe unintentionally) and eBay will give you your money back.  Also pay with a credit card for more protection.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
want to buy one? complete with vertical grip and rail covers!!!!

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
In the event that my comments are misinterpreted, I did not mean to say that the M5 is junk.  I've owned one, and it was great.  I intend on buying another in the near future for another A4gery I'm working on.  What is was referring to in saying that it is outdated is that some people believe that it is a bad idea to mount the M68 on the rail (or any  other optic) because of the zero shift in non-FF units.  If you're shooting bullseye then yes there is some shift.  If your unit is ragged out or you just got a crappy production version, yeah.  But the shift/flex that was present in mine (about none) was not really noticeable with the M68 out to 200 yards, which is about all that I want to do with it on an A4 with service ammo.  The current "trend" on ARfcom is to have freeflaot tube preferrably made by LaRue, with DD running right behind that.  That way everyone knows that you laid out some serious scratch for your unit.
Every KAC rail I've bought (several) have all been used, and all pruchased off of the EE from established members, and usually had high positive feedback.  I haven't regretted any of them, and I'm hoping to get my hands on a KAC freefloat tube for my current project off of another member.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top