Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 10:35:26 AM EDT
I have a RRA M4gery and a Bushmaster A2 now.  I have decided that I woul dlike a Midlength.  I don't have a 1/7 yet so I kinda want that in a barrel.  I do want Chrome lined and I would prefer a Gov profile.  

RRA is 1/9 and H-bar.
CMMG and Sabre Defense offer what I want, and Bravo Company is coming out with one.

I have no experience with any of these.anyone have experience with any? Pro's/cons?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were getting another mid-length barrel the Bravo Company 16", 1/7, chrome lined barrel would be at the top of the list.

IMHO, these barrels have every feature one could want including proof load and MP testing!

BCM barrel features:

M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
Mil-Spec 11595 - 4150 Grade Barrel Steel
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
USGI Government Profile Barrels
HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

They're not yet available but will be very soon and they will be worth the wait!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Good choice with a middy, I just completed my mid length build last month which I upgraded my Colt 6721 LE tactical carbine.

CMMG, Sabre Defence Industries and Bravo Company are all great companies and they have very good reputation here in AR15.com.

I went with Denny's (Global Tactical) Operator 16", mid length, mid weight profile, 1/7, chrome lined with M4 feed ramps barrel because it handles heat a little better than gov't profile barrels.

I live in a mostly hot desert area that's why I picked that particular barrel, otherwise if I'm in the other parts of the country, anyone of those companies that you mention would be fine.

I also have a Colt M16A2 20" gov't clone and a LMT Defender 2000 16" M4gery.

My favorite is my new middy.

Good luck on your project.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently bought one of these midlength uppers from Talon:

www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=127&products_id=311

I put it on a Bushmaster lower.  I have only had it long enough for one trip to the range, but it ran flawessly and accuracy was similar to the Colt & FN barreled rifles that I have.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with a mid lenght pencil profile. Adco turned down a barrel for me and I had PK Firearms build my upper. It rocks great shooter and excellent balance. I would post pics just dont know how to. Anybody help me out on this part? Mid lenghts are the way to go. JC
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
What he said.

Quoted:
I were getting another mid-length barrel the Bravo Company 16", 1/7, chrome lined barrel would be at the top of the list.

IMHO, these barrels have every feature one could want including proof load and MP testing!

BCM barrel features:

T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers

They're not yet available but will be very soon and they will be worth the wait!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
double it

Quoted:
What he said.

Quoted:
I were getting another mid-length barrel the Bravo Company 16", 1/7, chrome lined barrel would be at the top of the list.

BCM barrel features:

T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The only change I would make to the above is that I would request the front sight tower be deleted.  Assuming you are going with a Larue 9.0, get a low profile gas block.  You can always add the flip up front sight latter or you can go with the Yankee Hill or PRI flip up sight/gas block combo.  Either way, I think its a better way to go.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The only change I would make to the above is that I would request the front sight tower be deleted.  Assuming you are going with a Larue 9.0, get a low profile gas block.  You can always add the flip up front sight latter or you can go with the Yankee Hill or PRI flip up sight/gas block combo.  Either way, I think its a better way to go.

Regards,
Gary

care to explain why you think this is a better way to go?

just curious since he did not state what he planned on using the rifle for, what optics he plan on using and if he was going freefloat/railed handguards. nor did he state anything about larue and even if the 9.0 would be the correct length for a midlenght and would fit fine behind the fsb.

just curious since the initial question was so vague.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes on the operator.  I don't get the advantage of a gummint profile-- if you're willing to have such a thin barrel so close to the chamber for the sake of weight, why not take full advantage and go thin all the way to the muzzle?

The next batch of Operators is just getting started, so it may be months to wait, BTW.

Upside of Larue forend/gasblock-- clean sight picture through an optic, and "removeability" of forend without major surgery.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#10]
SDI or BCM for the upper. Denny's "Operator" barrel would not be a bad choice either. Really anyone of them should be fine so pick the one you feel most comfortable with or which ever one you can actually get your hands on.

Don't waste your time and money on a rail unless you really need one. Too many people around here putting rails on their AR's with little-to-nothing mounted on them.

If you do add a rail and are planning on using irons and\or an Eotech or Aimpoint, go with a 9.0 rail keep the standard FSB. If you are going with some type of optically "scope" and want a flip up front FSB, go with a 12.0 rail and a lo-pro gas block that will fit under the rail.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:16:10 AM EDT
[#11]
triple it.... waiting, waiting, waiting.....

Quoted:
double it

Quoted:
What he said.

Quoted:

BCM barrel features:

T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input so far.  I plan on keeping this one pretty stock for now.  I think I'm gonna stick with the standard FSB for now.  I plan on using this mainly to just shoot at the range and carry in the woods.  I don't compete in any competitions and am not planning on taking it to combat anytime soon.  I may try to shoot some coyotes with it on a friends farm.  Probably not to much.  I have another son on the way and don't see to much gun money for a while.  I'd like to do this up as a good weapon and not cut out any options for the future.  Thats why I want a 1/7 even though at this moment I am just shooting XM193.  I had kicked around the idea of getting the barrel mounted on an A1 upper and just sticking with irons but probably will go with a CMT Flattop and use either a carry handle mount or an Aimpoint.  I really am looking for a nice midlength that can stand up to some use.  I may add a Larue rail in the future, but for now I'm gonna stick with the regular handguards.  I have never worked with a midlength or a 16 inch carbine much for that matter that has a Hbar.  My A2 is goverment profile and the ones I carried in the military were.  I prefer that to a heavy barrel.  My M4 barrel is an older RRA and is Gov profile too.  I say that to let you know that I understand there may be better profiles out there, I'm just used to Gov Profile and dislike Hbar.  Thanks.  Any more input?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards,
Gary

care to explain why you think this is a better way to go?

just curious since he did not state what he planned on using the rifle for, what optics he plan on using and if he was going freefloat/railed handguards. nor did he state anything about larue and even if the 9.0 would be the correct length for a midlenght and would fit fine behind the fsb.

just curious since the initial question was so vague.

I'd be happy to explain.  If the owner chooses to go with an ACOG sight at some point, I find the front sight annoying as I see the shadow in my view.  This might not bother others but it bothers me.  Many choose to go with some type of red dot optic and if so, the existing sights are rendered irrelevent as the optic becomes primary.  As 99.999% of us use the weapon at the range and will never ever ever use it for any other purpose, the BUIS will most likely never be used.  In the unlikely event of a critiacal primary sight failure, you can always deploy them simply enough.  

I like the FF rail from Larue and I believe it gives the greatest amount of flexabilty for supporting such add-ons like a light or a laser or a bi-pod.  The 9.0 is the appropriate rail in my opinion for the mid-length barrel.  There are other options but I like the looks and function of the 9.0.

The nice thing about the AR platform is that there is no "perfect" set-up.  In my opinion the 16" barrel with no front sigh post, a flattop upper receiver, and a Larue 9.0 is about the most flexable platform you could ask for.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top