Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 9:47:17 AM EDT
I am thinking about buying a Bushy or RRA 16" upper.  Does anybody know if the stock FS is welded or screwed on?  I couldn't find any info on their websites or any of the dealers.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does anybody know if the stock FS is welded or screwed on?

A flash suppressor will only be welded on if the barrel itself is less than 16" without the flash suppressor attached.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The barrel is threaded to accept the flash hider on "Pre-ban" and "No ban" series guns.

Bushy brake and flas hider page

If you read and click on the link it will tell you what the threads are, IIRC most AR platforms are 1/2-28TPI.

Thanks for the link.  Guess I suck at the Internet.  
I never looked past the rifle page.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

A flash suppressor will only be welded on if the barrel itself is less than 16" without the flash suppressor attached.

Cool, that is what I was hoping.  Do they use loctite or something to make it hard to remove?  Do I need a special tool to remove the A2 hider and put on something else?  Edited... looks like I can use a wrench to take the old one off and put a new one on...you can see the flat spot for a wrench.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]

... looks like I can use a wrench to take the old one off and put a new one on...you can see the flat spot for a wrench.

You are correct, you can use an open end wrench to remove and install.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The barrel is threaded to accept the flash hider on "Pre-ban" and "No ban" series guns.

Bushy brake and flas hider page

If you read and click on the link it will tell you what the threads are, IIRC most AR platforms are 1/2-28TPI.

Thanks for the link.  Guess I suck at the Internet.  
I never looked past the rifle page.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, that is what I was hoping.  Do they use loctite or something to make it hard to remove?  Do I need a special tool to remove the A2 hider and put on something else?  Edited... looks like I can use a wrench to take the old one off and put a new one on...you can see the flat spot for a wrench.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/Images/YHM-28-5C1-Comp.jpg

Actually that is a pic of a Phantom 5C1 flash hider, not an A2 but the A2 also has flats for a barrel wrench to remove the flash hider.  If you had a 5C1 it is equal to the Vortex in flash suppression and you would not see a marked improvement going to the Vortex.  That said, Bushmaster and RRA give you the standard A2 with their barrels.  The 5C1 must be timed using a peel or crush washer as it has a closed bottom like the A2 and the Vortex does not need to be timed and is intended to be installed without the use of a washer of any kind.

Also I see that they offer the 5C1 as a factory option for $35 and you dont get the free A2 to give away, keep or sell.  You can buy it on the Equipment Exchange here on AR15.com for $25 if you decided to go that route and reuse the washer that came with the A2 installed.  The Vortex is $50 or there about.  The Vortex weighs over 3oz and the Phantom 5C1 is 2.1 oz in weight.  If money or weight were a big issue I would look at the Phantom.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:55:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually that is a pic of a Phantom 5C1 flash hider, not an A2 but the A2 also has flats for a barrel wrench to remove the flash hider.  If you had a 5C1 it is equal to the Vortex in flash suppression and you would not see a marked improvement going to the Vortex.  That said, Bushmaster and RRA give you the standard A2 with their barrels.  The 5C1 must be timed using a peel or crush washer as it has a closed bottom like the A2 and the Vortex does not need to be timed and is intended to be installed without the use of a washer of any kind.

Also I see that they offer the 5C1 as a factory option for $35 and you dont get the free A2 to give away, keep or sell.  You can buy it on the Equipment Exchange here on AR15.com for $25 if you decided to go that route and reuse the washer that came with the A2 installed.  The Vortex is $50 or there about.  The Vortex weighs over 3oz and the Phantom 5C1 is 2.1 oz in weight.  If money or weight were a big issue I would look at the Phantom.

DevL,

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering about the washer.  Is there a place to buy the Vortex other than directly from Smith Enterprises?  edited: I found some dealers in EE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top