Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 10:09:52 AM EDT
A barrel with M4 extension installed in a non-feedramp cut upper?

Here's why I ask.  I recently bought a used Colt which has a 1/7 M4 profile barrel (C MP marked).  The upper receiver isn't marked but I believe it's a Bushy.  Anyway, it's hard for me to tell if the barrel extension is an M4 or not.  The receiver definitly isn't though.  It appears as if everything would function correctly, and the previous owner said it ran like a champ.

I remember a month ago or so a topic on the matter with some good pics, but I can't find that topic for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged, I'll take a pic for you Seth if someone doesn't already have one to post.  BTW, I would think it should run fine that way, if the bullet hits the ramp as it should it would feed ok.  If it hits the receiver you're no worse off than with a standard extension barrel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a pic, but you should have no problems with an M4 barrel extension mated with a non-M4 upper receiver.

Problems arise when you go the opposite route - non-M4 barrel extension with an M4 upper - due to the fact that a "wall" exists where the M4 ramps on an M4 upper meet the regular feed ramps on a non-M4 barrel extension.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!

I guess I should've just asked this.  Do all Colt M4 barrels have the proper M4 feedramps on the extension?  I know some companies make them both ways.  I have no idea if Colt does.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!

I guess I should've just asked this.  Do all Colt M4 barrels have the proper M4 feedramps on the extension?  I know some companies make them both ways.  I have no idea if Colt does.

I would assume that all Colt M4 barrels have the M4 feed ramps as well. I'm not sure of the ramps' inception date, but it would probably be a safe bet that all of them do.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
No date on it anywhere.  It's simply marked:

C MP
5.56 NATO 1/7

It probably does have the M4 extension on it.  But I didn't know if Colt made some different configs like a lot of the barrel makers do nowadays.

I think my question has been answered.  Thanks all!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt M4 barrel extensions have a "4" stamped on the right edge (looking straight ahead into the chamber).   You might have to clean it well to see it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Colt M4 barrel extensions have a "4" stamped on the right edge (looking straight ahead into the chamber).   You might have to clean it well to see it.

"4" near the ejection port
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]
That's exactly what I needed!  Thanks!

There's no 4 on my extension, and after looking at that archived link I am positive I have a rifle extension.

Looks as if I have a mixmaster stechild barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top