BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont praise it, til you try it.  I havent heard much feedback about those.  I'm still waiting to hear it before I commit.

I have had a very good experience with a Sabre 1/9 midlength.  Very accurate and reliable.  That was swapped out due to them changing their taper pin setup somewhat (to make them easier to remove for builds).  I now have a 1/7 that was assembled by Sabre and looks to have been test fired.  I haven't fire the 1/7, but expect the same excellent accuracy and reliability.

If a Sabre barrel doesn't work, they're always making more to replace yours with.

Corey

It stands to reason that with a one-time-only group buy supplies are limited to that one time production run.  With a company like Sabre, who makes their own barrels, more can be made to replace any defective product.  Even then the 1/7 barrels were a limited run.  So, they may not be as readily available as a regular run barrel.

I appreciate and applaud Giffman's willingness to go out on a limb to provide a barrel that didn't yet exist.  He proved that there was demand for midlength 1:7 barrels.  But, man...was this ever a learning experience!

edited for clarification.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Either CMMG/Giffman backs up the product that they produce or they do not .  If they do not back it up, they are finished with alot of customers.
Also, who is Danny Sheridan?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
$100  i took the gamble and ordered one last night.  as long as it shoots OK i'm gonna do a frankengun out of parts i have laying around.  i think i can do it for less than $350.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#4]
+1
My Cav arms lower will be a frankin gun soon also. But I figure the total cost to be $480 ish. Still need a bolt and charging handle for a stag upper, and a gas tube. Got the Lower compleet for 130, the FF tube also Od Green for 35, Upgrades the MkI Lower for 30,  a new stag upper with  dust cover and FA 100, a new colt caryhandle for 50, ..... still lookin for a deal on a bolt and charging handle.

New info posted on the 22nd... I got my barrel, and the chamber is so smooth! Ca'nt wait till my upper gets here. Gonna be a great first build. Mine came with a nut and FSB abd triangle handguard cup. FSB pins slipped out with tthe punch, and my free float tube is waiting for an upper... This is all a little easier than I had imagined. And inexpensive.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Danny Sheridan is a lying piece of shit that cannot be trusted! He bought a quantity of the barrels to resell like Adco & I bought one (1st big mistake). When I found out about the problems & long delays, I asked for my money back which he never did send even though he publicly promised to on the Industry Boards. Funny thing is, all of these guys have computer problems & some other major events happening to them as an excuse. He claimed that his house was broken into & some suppressors were stolen. At this point, I guess chickens do come home to roost. This guy promises the world & is full of excuses and outright lies. Beware!

Robert

Quoted:
Either CMMG/Giffman backs up the product that they produce or they do not .  If they do not back it up, they are finished with alot of customers.
Also, who is Danny Sheridan?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
$100  i took the gamble and ordered one last night.  as long as it shoots OK i'm gonna do a frankengun out of parts i have laying around.  i think i can do it for less than $350.

I would love to see some photos. This baby sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Late to arrive on this but one question, one thought ...

Question - did anyone try to polish the chamber (or if too tight, run a NEW reamer in it?)  If Chrome lined I guess that won't work, but never read in this post if they were.  I am fighting chambering issues with the 10mm IAI right now and polishing the chambers is fixing a fair bit of the issues.

Comment - I messed up on one of my 458 barrels and put the gas port too far back.  All I did was take the barrel and my trusty Roto tool and carefully make the gas port slope forward, same diameter as the original hole.  Looks like the port was partially drilled at an angle (the actual transition to the barrel inside is still vertical so as not to shave more off the bullets).  Did the same thing in opposite direction inside the gas block.  Now they mate up perfectly, upper runs like a champ.  While not perfect, it would allow salvaging the barrels and still use the issue HG ...

If indeed not Chrome lined, if someone has one that is a dud, if you want, send it to me, I would be happy to try polishing it and making the gas port/gas block mod to have a test case for salvaging one of these.

Just a thought ....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag (I was going to make a substantive comment but thougt better of it)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#10]
to think i really wanted to get one.
times like these i thank the wife's shopping habits
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
When are they going to pass the poisoned Koolaid around at CMMG?

Will someone be there to videotape the event?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Giffman should be commended for his actions during this fiasco. Even though he is a small dealer, he handled himself like a pro. Never losing his cool (Even when a few turned rude and obnoxious) and bending over backwards to keep his customers happy. What more could you ask for? I'm glad the vast majority of the barrels turned out to be great shooters. The simple fact of the matter is CMMG screwed him and left in out in the cold to handle their screw up. I have never seen CMMG stop by one of these threads to offer him any public help or at the very least an apology. I keep hearing they are "Too busy". Yet they seem to find the time to post in the EE. This speaks volumes about CMMG. I used to think very highly of them and their products. I have a totally different view now.

The same exact things could also be said about Adco. I only singled out Giffman becuase this was his deal.

I will go out of my way to send Giffman business in the future. He is a class act and a credit to ARFCOM.

Giffman's website:
www.amendmentarms.com
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Tagged.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I used to think very highly of them and their products. I have a totally different view now.

The same exact things could also be said about Adco. I only singled out Giffman becuase this was his deal.

I will go out of my way to send Giffman business in the future. He is a class act and a credit to ARFCOM.

Giffman's website:
www.amendmentarms.com

Well said.  I hold no malice toward Giff, he was just the middle man, between a rock and a hard place.

Tracking online and offline, I'm at around 8-10 barrels that had an issue of some type, and that's only people who have admitted in some way to have problems.  For a barrel run of 100+ barrels, that gives you a 8-10% "failure" rate, just in case someone wanted to see you odds in getting a barrel that may work or not.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In reading through the posts let us respond this way.  If you are experiencing a 40% failure rate there is something wrong.  We would very much like to take a look at it and get taken care of.   If you are getting 10 moa accuracy we would very much like to take a look at it and get the problem solved.  

I turned my barrel back into Giff.  I didn't want to deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#17]
money back guarantee?

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I am realy pi$$ed off with this whole fiasco. All these barrels originated from CMMG and nothing is being done about this by them. I, like many others, have paid the top price for these and have the fact that they may not function properly. At first the problem with the 1/8 inch off gas ports and now all these reports of FTE and FTF issues due to badly machined chambers. Now I understand that sometimes this shit happens, but come on, you spend $245 on a barrel that doesnt work, good customer relations says that you should make it right. There are alot of great dealers on this web site that have gotten it bad from this, but there is no reason they should have to. I have one question, Where is CMMG's response? They are the source of these barrels and should at least offer refunds or replacements for the bad barrels. Here is an example of a stand up dealer that puts his customers first, I just received an upper from one of the bigger dealers on the site. The upper had some manufacturing flaws that did not allow it to function properly. I needed the upper for the weekend and called up the dealer. He is now going to over night the new replacement at no charge to me so I can have it for the weekend. That is quality customer relations and this dealer will always have my buisness from now on! I hope that CMMG will learn from this example and do something to keep good customer relations.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Where is CMMG's response?

Chill out bit and look 4 posts before yours and you'll find CMMG's response.

And just in case you're wondering, I do have a dog in this fight. I bought my bbl directly from CMMG and though it has no problems that I am aware of yet, I have full confidence they will take care it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow, I just came across this thread. I must say that I had a bad feeling about these barrels when the 1/8" out of spec issue came up. I don't like things being out of spec and that also led me to wonder what else might be out of spec.

I was continually reassured that this was a complete non-issue and that I should still take the barrel. Well, I thought about it and I made my decision. I accepted the barrel from Giff and nobody to blame about that but me.

So far I have not had any reliability issues with my AR. I have only shot XM193 through it though (about 300rds). I have not tried Wolf or any heavier loads yet as I've just been too busy (out of the country) this summer and doing a bunch of other things. I have also not really tested the accuracy very well. The one time I got it out to 100 yards I was hitting about 6in groups on irons. That could have been me, could have bene the barrel. I don't know. I'm not the most experienced shot. One thing is for sure, I will be testing this barrel for accuracy soon on a bench. I will also be testing various other loads. If it does not perform well I will be contacting CMMG about it.

I also want to add that Giff has been very honest about the whole thing and good to deal with. I feel very bad for him that he's had to deal with all this crap.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#21]
OK I am chilled out now. Let me first apologize for posting before refreshing my screen. I did not mean to be an angry a$$hole about it and I do apreciate CMMG's response. I admit I was a little over heated about this and should have gone out and and had a cold one before I posted. I am just at the point where I have heard so much about this issue that it worries me about the fact that this barrel is not what I paid for. I know I flew off the handle so I do apologize for that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where is CMMG's response?

Chill out bit and look 4 posts before yours and you'll find CMMG's response.

And just in case you're wondering, I do have a dog in this fight. I bought my bbl directly from CMMG and though it has no problems that I am aware of yet, I have full confidence they will take care it.

+1
I bought my barrel from CMMG and they promised to take care of the problems I have with it.
I have dealt with them before and I´m going to do it in the future.

Here is the link for the Finnish shooting forum where I posted some pics of 5 shot groups I shot with one of these "bad" barrels. I have to admit, there is some problems in chrome lining but barrel works all right, no FTEs or FTFs.
www.toiminta-ampujat.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=834

What I have learned from AR15.com history, all group buy are doomed way or another, so was this.

MN
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The one suggestion I would like to make to everyone, is that if you are having problems with one of your barrels, contact CMMG DIRECTLY about it, BEFORE coming on the boards and posting one way or another. Give them the opportunity to help make it right. If they dont, THEN feel free to bring it to everyone's attention. This should be followed with any company and any situation.......

I do have to say, someone already posted they tried doing that and got screwed.

Second, if a consumer buys a product from a vendor and it is bad out the door, consistantly, I would really like to know this information.  Who cares if I know after buying a bad item the vendor is more then willing to refund me my money a month after I sent them the money.  

There have been many threads where someone posts "I got screwed" and many folks jump on their backs saying this has never happened to them and to work it out.

This thread seems to be a little different then that.

I understand CMMG is an industry partner and you're a mod, maybe you are even buddies with these guys from CMMG, but I think everyone has given their due dilligence on this matter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The one suggestion I would like to make to everyone, is that if you are having problems with one of your barrels, contact CMMG DIRECTLY about it, BEFORE coming on the boards and posting one way or another. Give them the opportunity to help make it right. If they dont, THEN feel free to bring it to everyone's attention. This should be followed with any company and any situation.......

I do have to say, someone already posted they tried doing that and got screwed.

Second, if a consumer buys a product from a vendor and it is bad out the door, consistantly, I would really like to know this information.  Who cares if I know after buying a bad item the vendor is more then willing to refund me my money a month after I sent them the money.  

There have been many threads where someone posts "I got screwed" and many folks jump on their backs saying this has never happened to them and to work it out.

This thread seems to be a little different then that.

I understand CMMG is an industry partner and you're a mod, maybe you are even buddies with these guys from CMMG, but I think everyone has given their due dilligence on this matter.

1. Who contacted CMMG and got screwed?

2. I like to know companies to avoid buying from as well. That has nothing to do with my stance that one should contact a company before coming on here and bitching.

3. Many of those "I got screwed" threads seem pretty hokie, and most HAVENT EVEN CONTACTED THE COMPANY before posting. See point #2.

4. Them being an industry partner and me being a mod has absolutely nothing to do with each other. What gives you the remotest idea that I am buddies with them? I'd like an explanation on such insinuations.

1.  Read the thread again
2.  Yes they should I agree
3.  Regardless if they seem "hokie," when they pop up and the person doesnt have a leg to stand on, there are plenty here who show the problem for what it is, nothing more then normal business.  Thats why I am saying, even if someone posts before contacting the company, if the alegation is utterly false, many here show it for what it is.
4.  Sorry, I am not saying you are buddies with them.  You coming on and saying what you did makes one think you have some relationship with them.  Most people I know will not automaticaly try to defend someone they do not even know.  But you are a mod and are the first one to come on and basically defend the vendor in question.  It has happened before where we are warned by mods to be carfull.  If this was Joeken, Vulcan, or other thread this would not have happened.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I feel the need to add that with Giff's help, I was contacted by someone from CMMG about my problem via email, someone named Chris.  I had already made up my mind and contacted Giff and arranged for a refund, so I didn't return reply.  Like I said, I didn't want to deal with it and I took the cleanest option available to me.

This is just my gut feeling and it is easy for me to say this, as I didn't have thousands at risk here, but IMO, when the out of spec condition was noted on the barrels - the infamous 1/8", they should have been replaced.  There shouldn't have been the flurry of band-aid fixes concocted and offered up.  The fix should have been to provide a product that was in spec, because that what was marketed to the buyers.  TIFWIW, as I do realize there was a large amount of money at stake.  

Additionally, I kept as quiet about my problems as possible - right or wrong.  There was the possibility that I had a unique problem and I didn't want to raise a stink about it.  I spoke to people offline who asked, but I kept my public comments to a minimum.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think these barrels have lots of problems. ...............snip............
Edit: Forgot about the M4 feedramps that don't match the feedramps on uppers.

Isn't that more of an LMT problem than a CMMG problem?

What sucks is that I did, as I am sure everyone else did as a well, a lot of research and thinking about all this.  I payed what I consider to be a fair amount of money on what was suppossed to be top of the line products and am now regreting it.  I'm not just talking about the barrel either, I wish that I wouldn't have been led to believe that LMT was as perfect as what everyone says.

You have to respect Giffman and Adco for the way things have been handled though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
WOW!

I was amazed to find out about this thread from someone in the industry today.  I've been pretty inactive the last 6 weeks or so due to being layed off from work, a hard drive crash that wiped out most everything I had, and other family issues that have taken much of my time and energy.  

Oh God, it always starts with the pitty party request as if no one else has problems.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#36]

sounds like this one is about to go bye-bye
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WOW!

I was amazed to find out about this thread from someone in the industry today.  I've been pretty inactive the last 6 weeks or so due to being layed off from work, a hard drive crash that wiped out most everything I had, and other family issues that have taken much of my time and energy.  

Oh God, it always starts with the pitty party request as if no one else has problems.

What in the hell would make you post this crap?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:41:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Giff and ADCO are the good guys.

CMMG is the bad guy. CMMG should have trashed all the barrels when the 1/8" problem was noticed and refunded everyone's money. The barrels were already 5 months past due at that time.

I have Sabre barrels now and I'm very happy. I will also never do business with CMMG again nor will I encourage others to do so.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Giff and ADCO are the good guys.

CMMG is the bad guy. CMMG should have trashed all the barrels when the 1/8" problem was noticed and refunded everyone's money. The barrels were already 5 months past due at that time.

I have Sabre barrels now and I'm very happy. I will also never do business with CMMG again nor will I encourage others to do so.

possibly another no-no
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WOW!

Wow, just totally uncalled for. Giff has had some really tough times this year and despite that he has been honest and very good to deal with in this group buy. He has bent over backwards to make this happen and to try and do right by all his customers. I think he deserves a little respect for that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#43]
+1 to 0123456789
Went the whole way!
Bought a GB bbl. via Danny Sheridan.
When the SHIT hit the fan over the gas port location I took ADCO's word it was a non issue other than with HG mounting,so I went FF (not in original plan).
Still waiting on an extended gas tube.
Has funtioned flawlessly with all ammo (lucked out there),Wolf,PMC,Black Hills,and XM193.
Reasonable accuracy (could be better).
Made a deal and stuck it out as I could see Giff  being stuck hard in the middle ( with CMMG and Danny).
Got a case of the RED-ASS over the extreme value drop in the latest developements( I did expect it to be a narrowed market if I ever did decide to sell the upper).
Adco and Giff I feel for you on your loss on these.
CMMG could come up with somthing to take the sting out of this for those who stuck it out instead of just packing them up and sending them back with instructions to stick them where the sun don't shine.
LESSON LEARNED!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Sorry but I'm not seeing how CMMG is the bad guy (or that there even is a bad guy) in this situation? Let's re-cap...

Barrels were late – That sucks but shit happens especially for custom, one-off special runs. Either way, nobody was forced to wait. People could back out at any point they wanted to if the wait was too long for them.

Gas holes are off by 1/8” – Yes, that sucks too but people do make mistakes and again, shit happens. From what I’ve seen, when the issue was discovered, everybody involved was up front about it. Everybody was given the option to back out and get their money back (which I personally would have done at that point) but apparently most decided to accept it as is.

Now we have an uproar over FTF, FTE or what ever but yet Giff has only been contacted directly by 2 people who were both given a full refund (and BTW – Giff has not been able to reproduce their “issues” with the returned barrels)

All three players (Giffman, ADCO, and CMMG) have all stepped up and said, if you have a problem, contact us and we will make it right. What more do you want?

If you bought one of these barrels, install it (if you haven’t already) and shoot it (if you haven’t already). If you do indeed have a problem you will know soon enough. If not then enjoy your barrel. It’s that simply.

Put away the torches and pitch forks. Nobody needs to be tarred and feathered here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#45]
OK as an owner of the Giffman Barrel I figured I should chime in with my results.

config:

RRA upper/lower, YHM mid-legnth lightweight FF tube, YHM front-flip up sight (clamp on), RRA 'enhanced' bolt and carrier, mid-length gas tube

Upper assembly was preformed by an armorsmith that checked for go/no-go

So far (all 55grn FMJ):

350 rnds of .223 rem (LC brass) reloads
40 rnds 5.56 Winchester wally-world white box
40 rnds .223 Winchester wally-world white box

Results:

First round (virgin round for the rifle) of the .223 rem reloaded brass failed to engage into full battery. Forward assist wouldn't fix the problem.  After clearing the weapon and recharging the round, the bolt engaged fully.  Same issue on the next 3-4 rounds (nothing like pulling the trigger on your first AR ever and hearing just a 'click' ).  After the 5th round the rifle cycled normally and I haven't had the problem repeat itself. Either it was tight brass or I just needed to wear the bolt/chamber/carrier a bit.

I had one cycle issue (stove pipe? - bolt jammed the nose into the mag well/feed ramp) on a fully loaded mag that I'm attributing to either the original crappy stock follower or the mag lip. Discarded the jammed round and 'upgraded' the follower. Haven't tested this mag yet.

Thats it so far on problems. Brass goes into a pile 4 feet to my right consistantly.

I won't comment on my MOA cause' I'm still learning to shoot irons but I'm hitting an 8" circle at 25 and 50 yards so at least the rnds are showing up to the party

Going to try 100yrds + on my next run. Won't that be fun

Big thanks to Giff and all the other guys who decided to take a chance on the barrel.  So far I'm very happy with my purchase!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#46]
This whole topic is sad. There's too many good people in here under fire because of something the original manufacturer messed up. It sucks some people got bad barrels, but try and remember that the middle men will do everything they can to get this right, even though they'll probably take it in the ass doing so.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WOW!

Maybe he's an asshole?

I dunno.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WOW!

Maybe he's an asshole?

I dunno.

+1

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WOW!

Maybe he's an asshole?

I dunno.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WOW!

Maybe he's an asshole?

I dunno.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top