Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard so much B/S.  LMT quality is patchy at best and the talk of bolts being designed for one type of ammo is just laughable (wake up people) the good is very good and the bad is bad.  That said, a company that does not bother with its assembly techniques and outgoing QA is doing a disservice to its customers, if I spend the money LMT charge and ding the gun, that's my business, I don't expect some monkey in Milan, Il to do it for me.  
HFG  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn sorry to see those pics, i leave less damage with a rag, vise grips, a nail and ball-peen hammer.h.gif
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
AKM, those pics are downright scary.  I don't have a problem with a few minor scratches or dings on a new rifle that is going to be used as a work rifle but I would not accept that on a new one, no matter what I was going to use the rifle for.

On second look at your pictures, I don't think LMT is the one to blame for your messed up FSB.  You can see that the taper pins were dremeled off after they were driven in.  My guess is that whoever installed the handguard lost the original taper pins, found some others that were too big in diameter, found that they wouldn't go in all the way and decided to dremel off the extra that was still sticking out.  That or they didn't have a hammer and punch to drive the original pins in all the way.  You can see some of the unparkerized portion of the barrel, so it looks like the FSB was not properly aligned before they tried to put the pins back in.

Whatever the case, whoever installed your railed handguard, should be one one held responsible.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an LMT upper and I dont have any "complaints"

it does have a slight scuff on it, probably from a vise. That doesnt bother me, its not a priceless work of art or something its an AR-15.

the other thing is like someone else said, they should boresight them. Mine took 8 clicks left to zero (with LMT BUIS) not reall "excessive" but it does mean that the FSB is slightly canted. That doesnt really matter either, it shoots point of aim now.

The upper is 100% reliable... I've only shot about 300 rds thru it, but not one malfunction of any kind. I AM using the enhanced bolt and I only shoot 55gr right now... I hope that doesnt become an issue, but like I said, 100% reliable so far.

its as accurate as I am.

thats all that really matters.

now if only I could get my damn aimpoint to work
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]

the other thing is like someone else said, they should boresight them. Mine took 8 clicks left to zero

Mine took approximately 22

They are making good on it as we speak, however.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

the other thing is like someone else said, they should boresight them. Mine took 8 clicks left to zero

Mine took approximately 22

They are making good on it as we speak, however.

yea, thats definately excessive. I remember hearing about that type of thing with bushmasters a few yrs ago.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
+10.  I can't believe the excuses. Would you want a $30 filet with a bite out of it (hey, you are going to eat it anyway)?  Or how about a new $30k car or truck with door ding dents and rock cracks in the window (hey, you are going to get them anyway)?   Or a new $1000 scope with ring marks (hey, you are going to get them anyway)?

Quoted:
I'm not that picky either and I meant no offense by my statment, but new is new, and it should look like that when you buy it.

I just bought a new shirt, it had a hole in it, but that's OK because it's work shirt. Good logic.

This ain't no scratch and dent sale.

Larry

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
+10.  I can't believe the excuses. Would you want a $30 filet with a bite out of it (hey, you are going to eat it anyway)?  Or how about a new $30k car or truck with door ding dents and rock cracks in the window (hey, you are going to get them anyway)?   Or a new $1000 scope with ring marks (hey, you are going to get them anyway)?

Quoted:
I'm not that picky either and I meant no offense by my statment, but new is new, and it should look like that when you buy it.

I just bought a new shirt, it had a hole in it, but that's OK because it's work shirt. Good logic.

This ain't no scratch and dent sale.

Larry

Being a picky bastard I also agree but I can also deal with scratch and dent issues as long as:

1.  The dealer/seller is upfront and tells me about the issues so I can decide if I want it.
2.  I get a good discount on the price since it's damaged goods.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Shivan,

I really don't see why you should have to part out this upper to recoup your cost. Everyone says how great LMT's customer service is and hey, they did try and "fix" it. But, it is obviously still not running right. So, if that's the case they should have no problem with you returning it once again and replacing it with a new one at NO cost. Not giving you some BS about ammo, when no one else seems to have that problem. What would it cost them financially? very little considering what their production cost is compared to what they retail them for. And it is only one out of a 100 or more units.......... Right?

Now as far as their credibility goes, they stand to lose a great deal. The relatively small bad press they will receive from this and a couple of other threads will only instill doubt into potential customers as to the quality and reliability of their products. While you may have been the one guy out of 100 to get a lemon, no one else wants to potentially be that one guy either. Especially considering the cost of their products. It would be a smart move on their part to just give you a new one before you part it out, in an effort to get whatever defective components are in it off the streets. Especially since they take great pride in marking their wares so conspicuously, thus creating another disgruntled customer.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#14]

I really don't see why you should have to part out this upper to recoup your cost.

I concur. They should do whatever it takes to make good on it.

I'm still waiting to hear bout my upper, but they've only had it for a week, which is not much time. So, we'll see.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#15]

HOW CAN YOU BLAME LMT FOR THAT?

Wes, you obviously can't. I have no clue who did that work.

Shivan's weapon  is not the one pictured in this thread. I believe he had a whole host of other issues with the enhanced bolt, and the gun just not running right, which it doesn't sound like were resolved to
his satisifaction. Of course I am just assuming that, since he seems to be in the process of parting it out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]

"tuned" for the M4A1 with 62gr SS109 ammo

So does that mean it will choke with the Black Hill 77's? I mean, I just don't buy
that whole 'we tuned' it argument. I'm with HipFiredGun on that one.

Has anyone ever come up with a credible explanation of how exactly its 'tuned' to run
SS109?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
SO WHO BUILT THE PRIZE LMT UPPER WITH THE LARUE 7.0 FOREND?

HOW CAN YOU BLAME LMT FOR THAT?

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Gee, has anyone else noticed the complete absence of C4iGrant after lrbillb posted that pic link?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Cheers to Grant.

Sammy
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Without even seeing it (was at the Modern Day Marine Expo and could not get to my computer to see the pics) I told him to return it to me with no questions asked and I would fix the issue.

I don't think you could ask for much more. That's good service in my opinion. Sometimes people screw up (we ALL do it, just admit it). What seperates the men from boys is, will they make good on it?

In light of how this situation was ultimately handled, I'm not sure what the point of posting those pics really was, because as Grant said, they really don't have anything to do with Lewis Machine and Tools quality issues. And yes, I DO think they have some issue that need to be sorted out.

Anyway +1 for Grant.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:32:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Is LMT currently the only company that is machining the M4 feed ramps into their uppers as part of the initial manufacture, and sells stripped uppers to the civilian market?  It would be nice to have an alternative.  Ramps added after the anodizing don't count.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:59:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Is LMT currently the only company that is machining the M4 feed ramps into their uppers as part of the initial manufacture, and sells stripped uppers to the civilian market?  It would be nice to have an alternative.  Ramps added after the anodizing don't count.

Well, there's always Colt . . .
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When I received lrbillb's upper back from the gunsmith, I did NOT take it out of the box for inspection (my error)...  I would also like to comment that ALL dealers on this board make mistakes from time to time...

So, can we infer from this that you did inspect all of the other uppers that this gunsmith built for you, and that they either passed inspection or were not shipped to customers?  I think some members would like assurance that Irbillb's case was an isolated one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:20:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#26]
The reason I posted this pics was not to bash a vendor....but to show that there was an LMT issue also (the original point of this thread) - the FSB sat approx 1/32" off the barrel recess meaning (I assume) that it was drilled incorreclty by LMT.

Since the upper went back to LMT on an RGA, then I think that line of reasoning is born out.

lrbillb
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Luckily, all of my other customers got their uppers and seemed happy with them. I will now be doing all installation of FF rail systems!

Whoa, hold on a minute there, Grant.  That ain't exactly true.  I have been following this thread and maintaining my silence thus far, but comments like that make it difficult to do so.  I know there is at least one other upper that has the same problems as lrbillb's.  And it's now with the USPS on its way back to Suffolk, VA.  

Sam
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Chiming in late here - I bought an LMT 10.5" upper from MSTN a while back. Wanted to run it with my 614. Went for the enhanced bolt and bolt carrier too. Upper came in pretty good shape, not as pristine as Rock River - a few scuffs on the park and anodize, but nothing really bad.

But the upper would not function in full auto - short stroking FTF. The guys at MSTN were GREAT about the return - a prompt credit was issued and they sent the upper and enhanced B/BC back to LMT for research. Apparently the enhanced bolt carrier is not for shorties, so they now recommend a standard BC with shorties. By then I had bought a Colt 11.5" RO933 that runs like a top.

If I was looking for another shorty, I would consider LMT and MSTN.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Sam, yes I know that you had some issue with your upper. If you have any pics of the problem area, please post a pic of it here!

Here ya go.

Hope that works as I'm not really up on posting pix.

In addition, the FH is not indexed properly.  It is off center noticeably.  

Full Disclosure:  Grant said send it back for a refund which is what I've done.  So long as he follows through, all's well.  (Aside from the cost of shipping it back . . .)

Second, aside from the obvious "gunsmithing monkey" issues, the LMT upper looked as good as any I've seen and better than some.  Of course, I didn't shoot it so I can't speak to that.

HTH.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#32]
No joy on the pics dude....try photobucket.com its free....

edit: nevermind I'm seeing them now......

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Tried PB and Hunt101 and no luck with either.  Yahoo is problematic but they seem to be working now . . .
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chiming in late here - I bought an LMT 10.5" upper from MSTN a while back. Wanted to run it with my 614. Went for the enhanced bolt and bolt carrier too. Upper came in pretty good shape, not as pristine as Rock River - a few scuffs on the park and anodize, but nothing really bad.

But the upper would not function in full auto - short stroking FTF. The guys at MSTN were GREAT about the return - a prompt credit was issued and they sent the upper and enhanced B/BC back to LMT for research. Apparently the enhanced bolt carrier is not for shorties, so they now recommend a standard BC with shorties. By then I had bought a Colt 11.5" RO933 that runs like a top.

If I was looking for another shorty, I would consider LMT and MSTN.

You didn't buy the LMT enhanced bolt/carrier group from MSTN did you? The reason why I say that is because he knows that they CANNOT run one in a 10.5 upper and wouldn't have sold you that combo.

C4

I bought the whole LMT setup from MSTN. As I said, this was a while ago, I was the test case where they figured out the enhanced BC doesn't run with a shorty.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:15:43 AM EDT
[#37]
The A2 flash suppressor on my LMT 14.5" upper was not indexed properly, other that that it was perfect.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#40]
I was told repeatedly that LMT did EVERYTHING Colt did including park under the FSB.  I guess that gives me one less reason to buy a LMT upper instead of a Bushmaster.

Does LMT use the taller front sight base like Colt or does that have to be swapped out too?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#42]
My LMT FSB is indeed marked "F".

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#45]
I asked Chip at LMT, about park'ing under the FSB and he replied they did not do it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grant, I don't put the cap back on either.  Didn't mean that was a problem, just making an observation  
The gap would be there whether it's an A, B, C, L or whatever

The LMT front sight post is the correct height, at least on all the ones I've had through here.

Jason

Roger Jason. Thought I was the only one that did it! Glad to see that I am not alone...

C4

I don't put the cap back on either.  No real reason to leave it on there if you're installing a free float.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#47]
i  have a lmt enhanced bcg. i wished that when i had originally purchased it , some mention of it only working with m855. none at all. if you are going to market a product that is "enhanced" and it only shoots m855 or ss109, is it really enhanced? i shoot m193 to m855. if the product was advertised "will only work with m855 or ss109 , i would not have purchased it. i shoot mainly m193 and have supply of m855. i wanted the ultimate reliability out of the enhanced bcg, but i got a picky , spolied enhanced bolt that will only accept m855? and when i had sent enhanced bcg back to chip, he never mentioned i should only use m855 or ss109. i'm glad every one else is happy with lmt. but far as their product line is concerned , this little issue with my bcg has led me not to purchase anything lmt. that's  just my personal opinion.
the service i received from lmt and chip was un-satisfactory. just got the bcg back with i think new springs.
no update except , the springs took set, well no sh*t!!!!! i had told chip what type of upper, lower, ammo, etc.... and at the time he had never mentioned i should only run with m855.  

ah f#*K it!!!!  i'm done with my bitch session... i' fell much better now..
in no way am i bashing anyone or any product, it's just the plain truth in my case.
meat

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#48]
My LMT "Enhanced" bolts have worked well with a variety of ammo from XM193 to BH 75gr.

-z
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#49]
My two 14.5" LMT barrels have "L" stamped into the FSBs.   What's the L, same as a Colt F ?

One was swapped for a PRI, and yes its white underneath.  Here's a pic someone here posted of a Bushmaster after FSB removal:
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Well my upper and barrel are enroute back to lmt.  Chip has been excellent thus far to deal with.  Grant, you had said only about 8 or so people had issues with lmt gear that you had dealt with.  How were those issues handled by lmt, do they replace, fix etc?  As a side note to those who feel that a few dings scratches are ok and its a working gun, I would say this.  I am only going off of my experience with my RRA and Bushmaster, as well as dealings as my former departments armorer and firearms instructor and handling various other brands.   My RRA was flawless as was my bushmaster.  Sure you would notice a ding or tiny scratch here and there on a few guns that came through the dept., but nothing like on this lmt.  Bare metal showing, spotty anodized finish and so many dents and cuts on the upper rail that I lost count on a brand new upper isn't good fit and finish.  The lmt upper and barrel was by a long shot the worst looking as far as fit and finish.  Nothing else even comes close.  If that is acceptable to you, good on ya.  But when I paid premium prices I expect a little more in that area.  I never shot the upper, but  I def. can't say how it performed.   But I am hopeful to have the issue properly resolved with LMT.  I will keep posted on my results.  Thanks.  
Page / 3
Top Top