Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/12/2003 7:34:27 PM EDT
I looked at a Colt sp1 lower that had, what looked like pits or dents under the finish.

Is this normal for some of the older model Colts?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:01:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2003 6:05:27 AM EDT by shamayim]
Not only not normal; not possible. No parts on any Colt AR are cast; therefor no casting pits[:D] Maybe a tool mark here and there, or a small ding from being tossed around during production (my own SP1 has a couple of those), or being banged up in some way after sale, but definitely not casting flaws.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:09:19 AM EDT
Thanks for the reply, I was trying to figure out if the lower had been refinished with new parts added, there were dings under the black finish but all the other parts looked clean as a whistle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:57:04 AM EDT
I had an Armalite with what looked like "pitting" under the finish on the receiver. I believe even a forged part can demonstrate those kinds of irregularites, depending on how much care is given to final finishing. Brewer
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:33:14 PM EDT
If the finish color is indeed black, and it's an SP1, then it almost certainly has been refinished. Colt didn't go to a black finish until after the end of the SP1 production run. SP1s (and 2s) were the older greenish gray type color, much like WW2 parkerizing on steel
Top Top