Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 10:17:17 AM EDT
I was wondering if any of the brand name ABCD&R companies might have what could be considered a more accurate barrel than the others?

I want a 20" HBAR, and was looking at:

Armalite SPR 20"
Bushmaster National Match 20"
Rock River 20" with "223 Wylde" chamber

Any others I should consider?

I am trying to put together an economical 20" (maybe 18.5" later) for MOA accurate shooting out to 500 yards with optics that will double as an Armadillo popper.  I'm not shooting for cheapest, but I can't afford a $2200 SPR upper either.  I will be free floating the barrel and most likely using a Rock River flat-top upper and bolt.  Chrome lining is not a MUST since this will only be a shooter.  My carbine is chrome lined... so that's covered.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
JP's 20" barrels are very accurate.  0.2MOA groups are likely with good ammo.

-z
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The most accurate "reasonably" priced barrels in the 20" length that I have ever bought, owned, installed, or shot are the SGW 5.56 stainless ultra match. The 5.56 SUM barrels by SGW olympic arms are always giving me 30 shot groups of 0.850" or better @ 100 yards.(10) shot groups are for sissy boyz.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
For reference, I did some ammo comparisons of XM193 and Federal Gold Match HPBT 69 grain in a JT 20" 1:9 HBAR barrel - the one that comes with their expeditionary kit. Put a JP free float and single stage trigger on the rifle.

With 12 3 shot groups I noticed some scatter and without going into all the stats and data could say with confidence that the barrel is shooting about 1.5 MOA with XM193 and about 1.25 MOA with the heavier bullet.

With a borescope, I noticed some copper residue after the gas port and suspect a burr around where the port was cut.  Rubbed it down with JB compound - noticed roughness around the port when doing - have yet to shoot it again to see if there is any improvement.

It may be that I will have to spend more on a better barrel to go sub MOA, will see after some more tests.

Anyone have any good luck with fire lapping?  

Check out http://www.accuratereloading.com/fire.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The old Colt 20" 1/7 HBARS are among the more accurate I've come across, and they're a good place to start if you want to reprofile and shorten the barrel.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#5]
for whats its worth, i have always had very good groups with my old colt 1 in 12 skiny A1 barrel if your using 55gr bullets. i tried an colt hbar but was unimpressed and as a matter of fact my colt 14.5" M4 barrel was more accurate than the hbar out to 200 yards.

at any rate, the 1 in 12 barrels may be under nourished in the weight department but they sure shoot 193 ammo well. YMMV though.

although most barrels shot better than i do so this don't mean much!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a RRA Varminter (.223 wylde chamber) that frequently shoots .25" groups at 100 yards from the bench using 75/77 grain bullets.

Best group I ever shot with it was a .196" 3 shot group at 200 yards.  A lot more accurate than I am.

Check out adcofirearms.com for Varmint uppers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top