Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2003 4:09:52 PM EDT
I was looking through a Surefire magazine tonight and they mentioned their railed forend.  Anyone have any info on this?! Lengths, price, quality, availability?  I am looking for something for a midlength RRA flattop.

Thanks guys

Hershey
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Surefire's making rail interface handguards?  Given their tradition of workmanship and innovation I'm sure it'd be well made.  Sorry I don't have any info, but how about getting one of the well proven models like Daniel Defense, KAC or ARMS rail handguard?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]
SureFire is an avid proponent of the ARMS SIR, & I'll bet that's what they were referring to.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Na, they put out a new "Combat Tactics" magazines. They show a new rail system that looks like a Knights ras. They said it was a two part design, and free floated the barrel.

Jason
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
That was the one I saw.  And it did look alot like a RAS.  I love the look and specs of the SIR, but was just interested in finding out more on this new forend.  I don't think they make a midlength RAS, and I'm not real familure with the Daniel Defense products.  For about the same cash I think I'd go SIR.  And with a permenant brake, I might would have to!

Hershey
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a CAR length two-piece non-floater that goes on in lieu of the standard handguard.  Uses the regular delta assembly and HG cap.  Four rails in the usual 12,3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions.
Not available onthe retail market yet, but limited numbers have gone out for a specific Fed LE contract.   have no idea of pricing structure on it.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#7]
they article mentions the $250 range. looks and sounds like a ras.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I do know there's a Surefire RAS for MP-5's available for civilian sale for @ $150. It looks just like the KAC. If Surefire made a non-floating RAS for AR's, that would be silly to me. With the HK, the bbl's already free-floating so it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't know there was a new Combat "Tactics" mag out.  I'll have to check this out...
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#10]
the mag is very nicely done, but it a HUGE advertisement for surfire. it's funny how opinionated some of the articles get, but you expect it from a mag done by surefire.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]
The new rail forend from Surefire is a direct competitor to the KAC RAS system at a much lower cost.  the design is very nice but it is not in direct competition with the SIr or the RAS2/FF RAS.  This is beasically an alternative to the standard RAS for LE/Military or civilian market.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Any pics?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
IMHO the cut-off price for something like the RAS should be <$200 (with all due respect to KAC).

The closer a non-FF rail system gets to $300, the more I'd be inclined to spend the money for a FF system.  In fact, after much research I decided to do just that and now am very happy with my RASII.

I don't know the cost to produce the RAS, but with it falling within $50 of the RASII, I can't see the market for it (absent US military contracts).

Now, with multiple AR15's to outfit, I can definitely see the market for an RAS (or SureFire rail system) in the $150-200 neighborhood.

That being said, I am interested to see what SureFire has in store for us.

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
For M4 carbine it reads,the new M4 forend is a two piece design that locks together around the barrel and secures itself with axial pressure from two beefy screws that bear on the front barrel ring.Its a FF forearm fellows.The price is correct,around &250.00.What they dont say is the weight.At first glance it looks like it going to have more appeal than the RAS11.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the mag is basically a tease. Most of the stuff in there is not available for purchase. You will be lucky to see it at the SHOT Show in Feb. If I'm wrong, tell me where to send my money for an X200.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I checked their website for any additional info, but didn't find any.  There was a pop-up announcing the availablilty of the X200 in Dec!  Christmas present anyone???  Also I hope surefire extends this new line to include a full-length and midlength version!  This is what I've been looking for, and hope they build a midlength.  When anyone sees or gets one pics and reviews PLEASE!  SMGLee, you always seem to have the scoop!  Lets us know if you here anything!

Hershey
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think the mag is basically a tease. Most of the stuff in there is not available for purchase. You will be lucky to see it at the SHOT Show in Feb. If I'm wrong, tell me where to send my money for an X200.
View Quote

I have seen handle and used the handguard, with a retail price close to 250 and a selling price somewhere around 200, it will be a good item for Surefire to promote. X200 should be released by the shotshow as far as I was told by my Surefire buddy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]
When you say "front barrel ring" are talking about the delta ring or bbl. nut?  Or the handguard cap?

How does it FF with "two beefy screws'?

Curious!
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Hm, I think I'll stick to KAC FF RAS, I don't like screws, beefy or otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the description of the rail system (see girard's post above), but it doesn't sound like a FF system.  Hmmm.

At any rate, $200 out the door for a non-FF rail system sounds reasonable.  Like I said above, with the new FF systems available for $350-400, I see the civilian market for non-FF systems (e.g., the RAS) being in the $150-200 neighborhood.

Anyone able to get any pics of this system?  I'd love to see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:Anyone able to get any pics of this system? I'd love to see what it looks like.

Me too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top