Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 5:39:16 AM EDT
Hopefully this is an easy one. When installing a Vortex, do you need any special washers or can it just be installed?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:47:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:04:37 AM EDT
screw it! just thread it on and tighten it down. the torque specs are not critical and you have a lot of play. between hand tightened and snugged up you will be able to get your angles. i tightened mine down a little more than finger tight and it has not worked loose in several hundred rounds. i remove it to clean it but i am a neat freak.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:05:50 AM EDT
Just a reminder, in case it wasn't clear. There is no requirement to index a Vortex but some people do.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:08:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 308wood: i tightened mine down a little more than finger tight and it has not worked loose in several hundred rounds.
View Quote
Does yours have straight prongs or spiral prongs?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:10:47 AM EDT
when i ordered mine a couple of weaks ago i talked to mr smith. He was pretty adamanant that one does not use a washer of any kind with his FS. I used a crush washer with one i bought a couple of years ago. There is no need to torque for retention as the spiral prongs will tighten it further when you shoot it. I would imagine the spirals of gas sent out probably eliminate the need to time the FS to eliminate kicking up dust.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:46:46 PM EDT
Remember: the Vortex is essentially self-tightening, as a result of the helical tines. therefore, do not use a washer of any type and make sure that when you install the FH, you do not exceed 10 foot lbs. of torque. This comes directly from Ron Smith to me, personally.
Top Top