Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 3:36:19 PM EDT
this is my first AR and still am in the learning process of things...problem is i bought a postban bushy with a fluted barrel and AK break they claim its "permanently attached" but it has a dowel pin on the break,is this all that holds it on? or is it threaded also? or is it accually apart of the barrel =(....so far i have learned i hate breaks! the recoil loss vs deafaning concushion isnt worth it in my opinion. but if it is possible to take off what are my options to stay legal (and keep my barrel?)
Thanks all!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the pin sticking out, chances are you have the brake on a post ban, non threaded barrel.  As Kurt, from Kurt's Kustome Firearms told me, nothing is permanent.  I had a mini comp set the same way.  He took it off and slide one of his FFS over the end.  (the barrel length was 16" + the mini Y, and I wanted to keep the length at just 16")

I don't believe it's welded, maybe some epoxy applied before they pinned it.  In either case, there have been some threads where people have actually shot the damn thing off.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, what he said...

If it has a visible pin, it's on a post-ban barrel, most likely. Drive the pin out (from left to right, viewed from firing position), stick a large screwdriver through the brake, and twist it off.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a 14.5" barrel(16" w brake), I believe there are some welds, where a 16" should just be pinned.  I would check before you decide to "twist it off".  Whatever you do, the overall barrel and non-removable parts must be over 16" or "The Man" will get you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top