Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2003 5:28:16 PM EDT
Just got a transfer underway for a DPMS lower w/ a G27 grip and an Ace skeleton stock.  This will be my first AR and I've been thinking of going with either an M4 or a varmint build.  What would be a good price on either type of upper (complete) and what should I be looking for?  Should I be leaning DPMS for fit/finish reasons?

Any help you can give a newbie is much appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
CornFedHusker,

Your question is tough to answer without knowing what you want this new rifle to do.  My favorite first quesiton is "Will you grab this rifle to defend your life?"  That might give us all a starting point.

regards,

southern
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The answer to that is yes...so I suppose an M4 setup is preferred until I decide that a varmint setup would be better to meet my needs.  In the M4 area, what should I be looking to spend and what should I be looking for in general - build materials, accessories, matching manufacturers, etc?

I was thinking of using an A3 upper.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
That helps!  I'm not a huge fan of the stepped M4 barrel unless you have an M203 in your collection.  I take it that your lower is post-ban so I would suggest a 16" chrome lined barrel without muzzle brake.  

My current setup is a Bushmaster lightweight(pencil)barrel on a Colt flat top upper and the lightest freefloat railed forearm I can find(DDI 7.0) with a surefire light and vertical grip. It shoots about 1.5 MOA with most ammo.

How much you will spend really depends on how much you read this board. [;)]  If you want to build up from parts, Wes at MSTN is a great guy to deal with and can point you in the right direction on accessories, as well.

regards,

southern  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out the 1/7, DPMS M4 barrels and uppers from [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=174919]CMMG[/url] on the EE ! They are available in 14.5" and 16", pre- or post-ban.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Will do.  I'm getting the lower from CMMG and their service has been wonderful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top