Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 3:50:22 PM EDT
I just bought a set of these. They look great but I can't get them on my rifle. My rifle is a 20" Bushmaster with a triangular handguard retainer up front. I can mount the top one, or the bottom one but not both.

Is there a trick to this? Or do I need to replace the triangular retainer for a round one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
They will fit once you get the delta ring out of the way ;)

I find Cav. Arms furniture to be tighter spec'd then most, but it does fit.  It just takes a little effort.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to do a little filing on the lower handguard to get mine to fit.  Now they fit nice and snug with effectively no movement.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using a handguard removal tool to hold down the delta ring. The pins that hold the upper and lower guards together seem to get in the way. You aren't kidding about them being tight.  

They look great, I just wish I could get them on! Maybe I'll let someone else try tonight. If that doesn't work then maybe we'll break out the files.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Troy. Actually the fit issue was up front not in back. They fit length wise just fine, and they fit inside the delta ring jus fine. These actually have grooves in them that grab onto the barrel nut.

The problem is (was) the way they fit into the front handguard retainer. (The trinagualr one.) I had to remove a little material on the bottom handguard to get it to fit in there. I removed just enough to get it in there, and still fit very tight. They don't move at all.

So they're on there now. But I do have to use the handguard removal tool to get them on and off.

The handguards are a little more "massive" then I thought. Especially at the muzzle end. But they feel good.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The handguards are a little more "massive" then I thought. Especially at the muzzle end. But they feel good.
View Quote

Don't they, though?  I was at the range with mine this evening and I really do enjoy shooting that rifle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Well it will be at least a week before I get out to shoot this thing. Maybe longer. But it handles very well.

I never considered the weight at all. It doesn't feel any heavier.

I'd throw on one of the Cav Arms A1 length stocks too, but I'm concerned about the durability of them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Durability?  The C1s are arguably stronger than any of the A1 or A2 stocks issued to the military and they have more internal space besides.

And they look damned good, too.  :)

[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/HomelandDefenseRifle.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#9]
They do look nice. I saw a post on the Maryland AR-15 site that indicated that these stocks don't come with buttplates. Is that true? Or is it complete and ready to screw on?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't remember.  I know they come with the shorter upper screw but I don't remember what else was in the package.  I've got so many buttplate screws and parts laying around that I wouldn't have noticed if the parts were there or not.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
They do come with buttplates, but I won't use them any more.  Apparently Cav. Arms has decided to supply a flimsy hard rubber buttplate with their stocks and it's VERY EASY to overtighen the top screw to the point that it totally passes through the buttplate!!!  Not good.

Every one of my C1 buttstocks have a standard A2 hard plastic buttplate installed and they work beautifully.  Something to remember...
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They do come with buttplates, but I won't use them any more.  Apparently Cav. Arms has decided to supply a flimsy hard rubber buttplate with their stocks and it's VERY EASY to overtighen the top screw to the point that it totally passes through the buttplate!!!  Not good.

Every one of my C1 buttstocks have a standard A2 hard plastic buttplate installed and they work beautifully.  Something to remember...
View Quote

Okay. Now that's the second or third time I've heard that same comment. The plastic that these are made of is not sturdy, or doesn't appear as sturdy as the A2 stock. That does give some concern.

Will the standard A2 buttplate fit this stock without modifications? If so does it add any additional length to the stock?

And on a side note. Does anyone remove the heatshield from the top handguard? (To imporove cooling)
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Okay. Now that's the second or third time I've heard that same comment. The plastic that these are made of is not sturdy, or doesn't appear as sturdy as the A2 stock. That does give some concern.
View Quote
Read carefully.  That's a complaint about the butt plate, not the stock itself which is sturdy as can be.

Will the standard A2 buttplate fit this stock without modifications? If so does it add any additional length to the stock?
View Quote
The stock is compatible with any buttplate out there that will fit on a regular A1 or A2 stock.

And on a side note. Does anyone remove the heatshield from the top handguard? (To imporove cooling)
View Quote
I've been thinking of doing just that to my handguard.  My plan is to remove it next time I go to the range but I keep forgetting to do it.  The heat shields are easy enough to install and remove that it's not a problem.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Come to think of it, doesn't the stock come with an A1 style rounded butt plate?  I know I've got the A2 style on mine but it seems like I remember an A1 on there at some point.  But then like I mentioned before I've got tons of butt plates around so anything is possible.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]
the C1's have a rounded "A1" style buttplate with trapdoor assembly.  although made of a rubberized plastic and not a "hard" plastic like the stock itself, i've never encountered any problems with them (i have one on all of my AR's).
tightening the screw to the point that it rips through the buttplate seems to me more of an issue with too much caffeine, or steroids, or metabolife or something....

i remove the top heatshield from my handguards...if i ever have to shoot my gun upside down i guess i'm screwed...(joking, of course...)
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#17]
How about weight? Is the Cav Arms A1 stock heavier or lighter then the GI A1? Anybody know?

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Lancelot,

The Cav felt lighter than the USGI A1 to me.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I found brand new in the wrapper M16A1 buttplates. $3.15 each at Numrich Arms.

[url]http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=267970&chrSuperSKU=&MC=[/url]

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Lancelot,

Just to clarify my previous post...

The C1 Buttstocks are fabulous!  My only contention with them is they come packaged with a hard RUBBER buttplate and a TAPERED buffer tube screw.  

My nature is to tighten a screw until it firmly stops.  Anything less and I feel like it's not seated properly.  In my mind, if it still turns, it's loose!

The supplied hard rubber buttplate will work FINE, if you tighten the supplied A1 length top screw just to the point where it snugs the buttplate to the stock.  If you keep turning the screw like I did, you will find it passing through the buttplate.  

I personally PREFER the rounded buttplate that Cav. ARMS supplies with it's C1 stocks - I only wish they were made of a hard plastic instead.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll order one up and see how it works.

In the meantime I've ordered two new buttplates to dress up my GI surpluss A1 stocks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks. I sure like my handguards!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I really like the 2 Cav Arms C1 buttstocks I have. In my experience the problem with the top buttplate screw "tearing" through the "free" supplied buttplate is because the C1 stocks were .015/.020 short when mounted on my Bushy and Colt lowers. To get either the standard A2 or C1 buttplate to fit flush when tightened I had to file the end of the buffer tube. By the time I realized the buttplate was not going to snug up, the screw had already torn through. My typical luck, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the C1 stocks were .015/.020 short when mounted on my Bushy and Colt lowers.
View Quote

My C1s have fit fine on Colt and DPMS rifles.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Regarding a durable stock, check out the Ace Ltd. M4 SOCOM stock. It is six times as strong as a standard A2 stock. Here is the link:
http://www.riflestocks.com/ar15.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like the 2 Cav Arms C1 buttstocks I have. In my experience the problem with the top buttplate screw "tearing" through the "free" supplied buttplate is because the C1 stocks were .015/.020 short when mounted on my Bushy and Colt lowers. To get either the standard A2 or C1 buttplate to fit flush when tightened I had to file the end of the buffer tube. By the time I realized the buttplate was not going to snug up, the screw had already torn through. My typical luck, YMMV.
View Quote

Quoted:
Quoted:
the C1 stocks were .015/.020 short when mounted on my Bushy and Colt lowers.
View Quote

My C1s have fit fine on Colt and DPMS rifles.
View Quote

You guys are seeing one of the difficulties we have to deal with...not all the parts suppliers work to mil-spec prints, or to prints at all.  Your "mil-spec" rifle, may have a receiver extension that is slightly longer or shorter.  It can depend on what machine shop a manufacturer used for that batch, or even which operator was running the machine at that shop.

We are faced with a situation where we have to decide do we want to make it to the tighter end or the looser end.  Making it towards either end makes the "good fit" percentage lower.  Make it too tight some people will complain it doesn't fit, make the specs too lose and some people will say it rattles around.

...So we have to go somewhere in the middle to accomodate all the millions of receiver extensions out there.  Our buttstocks should fit well on 97% of the rifles out there, the other 3% being 2% somewhat poor fit, and 1% being not fitting at all.

The variations between all the different manufacturers on telestock tubes are even more of a headache than standard buffer tubes.

All our stocks come out of the same mold with the same cycle time so they are all the same size.
View Quote

Please don't take my previous post as a bash of any kind, just sharing my experiences. I will say that all my post ban AR's wear C1 buttstocks, they allow me to get the proper eye relief with my ACOG's, have room to store junk in, are shorter, and just look right on a post ban gun. Like I said, my luck to have 2 slightly longer buffer tubes, it's been a long week.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just wanted to explain to everyone there are a number of factors involved in various parts from different manufacturers fitting or not fitting well.  I cannot say that any one company is right or wrong...every manufacturer does things for their own specific reasons.
View Quote

We all understand that, but the really important question is when are you going to get some green ergo grips out the door to your resellers?  [spank]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#33]
IM received and response sent.  Thanks for the good news!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Ergo grips are great. But if you'd make the standard A1 or A2 grips in colors to match your stocks and foreends, that would be great too. That way we could use them in service rifle competition. (Which won't allow the Ergo grip.)

There are lots of lady shooters I know that want "prettier" furniture then the standard black or OD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top