Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2003 9:38:49 PM EDT
Anyone got some pictures of a carbine with the Sully stock from Defensive Edge?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.defensive-edge.net/tacticalstore.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks OB_1, I have seen that one, I guess I should have said. Just was wondering if anyone had one, liked it, and had some personal pics to share.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think I'd use anything from ANY manufacturer that claims that Militec-1 is the best thing they've seen to stop corrosion.  That's a discusting blatant lie that tells me the company doesn't care about their products and won't hesitate to lie to sell something.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
wyv3rn
I have never used Miltech or even investigated it. Thanks for your opinion! I will check around about it as I do think a company should be consistant and truthfull on their descriptions of the products they sell.

Sully
Thanks for all the links and info...was a big help!
Do you think the Miltech comment by wyv3rn was incorrect? Not to start anything by any means, just would like to hear your opinion of the product and what makes it such a good formula as described.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 5:16:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Militec-1 can't touch CLP when it comes to stopping corrosion. About 6 months ago, when my yearly CLP supply was running low, a friend duped me into buying Militec-1 for use on some of my auto-openers...

Let's just say that a pair of $400 Microtechs became daily carry knives, as they got corroded pretty bad.

I have no idea on Militec-1's applications with firearms, but I cannot say that when it comes to corrosion prevention on knives... It sucks.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I use Miltec, and personally, I think CLP sucks!  But that's just me.

To be totally honest, some of the heaviest shooters I know use Mobil-1 synthetic oil and swear by it.  At $4-5 a QUART, it should last a LONNNNNNGGGGGG time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Well fellas, I know some guys that still swear by the old Hoppes #9 for solvent, and I personaly think that stuff is somewhere behind warm piss to clean my guns with. But I would never call them liers. If it works for them and not me, so be it. I guess it just depends on the individual and his or hers results.

Thanks again Sully for answering back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My department uses MPro7 Lube and Cleaner or Slip2000 and 725 Cleaner.  We have had good luck with both.  We started using Slip2000 with our initial batch of Bushmasters we bought because we couldn't get Colts.  The Bushies had numerous failures to extract, eject and feed.  We thought it was a lube issue, so I asked another large agency nearby what they used on their Bushies and Slip2000 was the answer.  Long story short, it cured most of the problems; scrapping the Winchester Q3131 ammo cured the rest.  We used MPro7 for cleaning and they sent us lube samples, which worked great also.  Slip2000 sent us 725 cleaner samples which worked about as well as the MPro7.  Now I buy Slip2000 or MPro7 products almost interchangeably.

The one thing that WILL get you written up is using Hoppe's #9 on a department firearm, except for our sniper(his school swore by it).  I hate Hoppe's because it will gum up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hoppes#9 is a good solvent from personal experience and its like a good cologne, if I could only get my wife to wear it.  Hoppes#9 is made from banana oil, and when it is left on a gun and allowed to dry it will turn to a gummy  varnish.  I have one of our Patrol Officers who carries a HK-USP45, and he cleans his gun liberally with Hoppes#9 every week whether it needs it or not.  After two years of this he was at the range one day.  He was tasked to draw and fire, he drew and pressed the trigger and the gun went click.  He instantly responded with a tap/rack&roll and pressed the trigger again, and again it went click.  He again responded with a tap/rack&roll, pressed the trigger again with another click.  I took his gun and broke it down to discover a large chunk of gummy varnish on the inside of the slide inside the back of the firing pin hole, which kept the firing pin from going all the way forward.  The gummy varnish chunk was removed and the gun lubed and reassembled, and on testing the gun now worked fine.  The moral is if you are going to use a banana oil based produce, to make sure you remove all traces of it after the gun is clean.  

Sully
Chief Instructor
www.thedefensiveedge.com  
View Quote

Curious...you are referring to Hoppes solvent, not the lubricant?  A couple questions come to mind: was he wiping the weapon clean and dry after using the solvent?  If it wasn't solvent, why in the heck was lubricating oil getting into the firing pin channel (at all?) to the degree it gummed up?  (Note that I do not Have a USP, so maybe that is part of the lube procedure) And why wasn't the solvent removing this buildup?

*Warning*  This thread appears to have been hijacked!

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
MANY tests have been made of Militec-1.  They are online, you can find them.  The military did their own.  They found it does _nothing_ to stop rust.  Militec replied to the military by saying basically "we never said it would stop rust, it's not designed to, today's metals used in firearms are treated to prevent rust, it's just a lubricant".  In addition, I've done my OWN tests on BF CLP, Eezoxx, Mil-comm TW25B and Militec-1.  I can verify the military's testing.. it does NOTHING to stop corrosion.  You can test this yourself.  Get a few nails, clean them with 91-100% alcohol (I used 100%).  Apply the different lubricants & protectants.  Spray them with a salt-water (just mix salt and water) spray.  Keep 1 nail unlubed as your "control" nail.  Watch Militec-1 rust away just as badly as the control nail.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=165475[/url]

[url]http://gunzone.sccltd.net/rust.html[/url]

All it takes is some searching on ar15.com and google.com.  I think Militec-1 might even have the military's testing along with their response to the military that I mentioned buried in their website.

Maybe Sully's other products are fine, I don't know, I have tried them.  I'm just saying that I don't trust anyone's products who will tell me a bald faced lie just to sell something, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Miltec-1 on my Glocks, so the "rust" issue isn't an issue.  Glocks simply don't rust.

I also use it on my rifles, and have not seen any rust on them either.  As far as a "salt spray" test goes, well that doesn't apply to a lot of situations, with the exception of carrying weapons close to the body where they would be exposed to such situations (sweat).  

I'm no expert on "lubricants", I can only attest to the fact that Miltec has always done well for me.  Every CLP application I ever used dried up within hours of application and never seemed to provide the smooth function of other oils.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
wyv3rn,

In the attached links I do not see where the Militec-1 was properly bonded.  Was it?  My experiences with Militec-1 having good results are with it after it was allowed to be  bonded.
View Quote

It was properly bonded in my own tests.  Anyone who really cares can do their own tests, it's not difficult.  This is my last post to this topic, because quite honestly I don't care anymore.  I know what works and what doesn't and if you guys want to pretend Militec-1 prevents rusting, go right ahead, I don't care.  The only part that bothers me is when people push this crap onto unsuspecting customers and say it does something it doesn't in order to get their money.  At this point, my warning has been heard, if you don't believe me, get a free sample of militec and do the tests yourself.  Anyone who says Militec-1 is a rust inhibitor is just plain wrong, sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top