Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 3:04:57 PM EDT
An open question to those who may know...
Should there be any play between the barrel and the upper receiver?
I have a 16" lightweight tactical w/ flat top upper (J&T) which I just built up on a RRA lower a couple weeks ago. Last night I was cleaning it when I thought I noticed a bit of a wiggle in the barrel. Thinking it might be movement between the upper and lower, I detached the lower, and son of a gun, the barrel IS moving (ever so slightly, but discernably) when I put one hand on the upper and one on the muzzle and move it around. I must stress that the movement isn't enough to be seen, but can definitely be felt and heard.
Any opinions?

Thanks, Steve C.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:31:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2003 3:32:35 PM EDT by SpentShellz]
tighten it one more gas tube notch... or better yet tighten and losen it 3 times before you finaly tighten it .. use a tourq wrench dude and follow the one more gas tube slot rule..late
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:12:21 PM EDT
Spent, thanks for the reply. Only problem is, I didn't barrel the upper, I bought it as a kit. I don't have the tools (or knowledge) to do what you suggest. Do you, or others, feel that this is something that should be corrected by J&T? Is it something that is not unusual?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:19:26 PM EDT
J&T should fix it for sure. I can't believe someone would tighten one to less than 30ftlbs. Don't shoot it any more untill the barrel wobble is gone you could ruin your bolt or barrel extension.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:28:36 PM EDT
return it......Hey every one makes mistakes sorry u got one. [grenade]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:10:00 PM EDT
Talked to Jack at J&T today. He apologized and asked me to send it back and they'll make it right. Thanks to all for the advice.
Top Top