Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 11:42:54 AM EDT
I have noticed prices on collapsible stocks range from $30 on ebay to $170 for Colt ones. What brands have people found that are economical (say in the $50-70 range) and are fairly sturday, non rattle-traps?  Mind you this would be CAR/M4 style, magpul is a bit too rich for my taste  

Thanks all,

Dawg
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
So am I to understand that not a single person here has a weapon with a collapsible stock??  Any input would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
For CAR or M4 stocks (they're different), the Cavalry Arms units are the "best". From [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=165879]Adrenaline_Arms[/url] on the EE!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one on Ebay for $30, it's pretty cheesy. Rattles pretty bad, and the buffer itself is noisey (is that normal??). I'm curious myself, reports of other makes/models, wouldn't mind getting a quieter one
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The [b]current[/b] production Rock River stocks and the Vltor are the most rattle free stocks Ive experienced.  I cant vouch for the others.  The RRA was nice and tight from the factory and stayed that way for the most part.  My Vltor carbine stock is TOTALLY rattle free, even in the latch.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My Magpul has no rattle... in fact, the locking latch eliminates any play in the stock whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The RRA stock from ADCO is $66 plus another $4 for shipping.  I think that should do very well for you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent, RRA was the one I was thinking about.  I have used one of their lower parts kits and was very impressed with the quality and finish.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The only reason I bought the Colt is because I like having the military issue part since everything else really allready is.

The RRA's are just as good but they are different. (well actually SAW LE SALES hasn't gotten off their ass to send it yet so I really don't know the RRA could be better [I called order status and left a message but what do they care they haven't called back and won't their service is as good as Colt themselves].)

The Cavarms could be better I've heard

[b]I have an RRA and it is tight.  I have an old Colt M4 stock and it is pretty tight too though, the only stock I ever had that rattled bad was the $30 chinese variety. Even Toy Airsoft Colt repro- stocks fit my tubes better than the $30 chinese crap.[/b]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Colt M4 Type II stock from SAW and it had WAY more looseness and rattle than the RRA stock, which was disappointing considering what I paid for it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#10]
As with anything else it's buyer beware.  THe cheaper models are made of ABS plastic which is significantly more brittle that the polymer designs.  Another overlooked point is the latchpin.  The cheaper models have soft steel which has bent in several stocks I've seen and they are usually thinner, weaker metal without the roll pin to hold the nut in place.  You get what you pay for!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#11]
To all of you who think you might save a few bucks and get an inexpensive stock...

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/pe09f61f3e4e0cc1741e73dfd4ea7bed9/fc9f6df2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Ouch.

I hope no AR users were injured in the making of that photo...

Also, as an "open apology,"  I really dig on the looks of the Magpul and I have nothing against them (sometime in the future I would like to use one on a "spacegun" AR that is all tricked out).  I was simply interested in keeping my M4 looking stock and "authentic."

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To all of you who think you might save a few bucks and get an inexpensive stock...
View Quote

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/pe09f61f3e4e0cc1741e73dfd4ea7bed9/fc9f6df2.jpg[/img]

According to the Marine Corp, the new Colt "ribbed" M4 stocks (made by Lewis Machine and Tool) are breaking just like that. According to them, during testing, 3 out of 5 Ribbed stock Break, don't crack, but break in half. BTW, the drop test is from the distance of only five feet!

Here's something to remember, all of the ribbed stock (except for Cav Arms and the aluminum SGW) are made by Lewis Machine and Tool.

So pick a stock wisely.

ls
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top