Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 8:00:20 PM EDT
I have 2 of these and just can't stop wondering why KAC added the heat shield when the point was (or seemed to be) to allow greater cooling and add mounting flexibility.

Doesn't this just slow cooling and create a problem?

What is the benefit in long and short term rapid fire?

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The heat shield's intention is present a barrior between the barrel's radiant heat and your skin.
This, of course, is a trade off because it reflects heat back towards the barrel as a consequence.
I operation, if firing rapidly, but less than 90 rounds in lets say two minutes, then the haet shield allows for more shooter comfort.
However, firing 210 rounds in two minutes, the shield probably resuts in a more negative result.
But also remmeber that the RIS & RAS give you a higher cook-off level than the standard plastic wraps they replaced.  So as in most compromises, it ain't all bad news.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I figured it had to be a tradeoff. Sounds like the majority of military end users will benefit.

What is the cookoff level for a M-4 barrel (or more importantly a barrel that is .740in contour under RAS? [IE LMT 10.5])

Do you know of anyone who removed the heat shield?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you know of anyone who removed the heat shield?
View Quote

I did on mine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I also removed mine after it developed a bad case of the 'rattles' for the second time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Did the removal of the heat shield cause wobbleing/rattleing of the lower pannel?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have removed the shield from all my RIS,RAS, RASII etc.
I have had no ill experiences

At work I shoot with gloves...
Or I use a 'K' grip.

For civy shooting I try not to shoot fast :)

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I cut the rivets and got rid of mine about 1/2 an hour ago.

The Rivets weren't totally ground down and I grabbed the heat shield with a pliers and ripped it off and the rivets stayed put (that was one of my worries that I would have stupid looking holes where the rivets used to be.)

So I am happy and now when I put my hand on it and move I can feel actuall ventilation moving through the RAS!!!  

I'll bet convection will push air through from the bottom to the top and cool the barrel faster now.

[b]It didn't loosen the fit either[/b]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
There are plenty of goforits on here.  I'm gonna join the club.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]
you should IM Kevin B.

I think he has done this to every RAS that he owns.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
How did you guys go about removing the heat shield?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Well mine was only holding on by one rivet, so I just grabbed it from the loose end and yanked it off.  I imagine you could pry it off pretty easily with a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting, my M4 RAS heat shield is attached with four rivets.  Also, did you remove the rivet after removing the heat shield?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
you should IM Kevin B.

I think he has done this to every RAS that he owns.
View Quote

I think he just said that 3 posts above you LOL.

I ripped mine out with a pair of needle nose pliars a year ago.  Popped right out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I:

1)dremmel ground the rivet heads on the inside of the heat shield down pretty far without risking damaging the inside finish of the actual RAS

2) Grabbed it with a pliers and pulled that mother off....it came off easily.

3) grabbed some alumiblack and re-finished the four silver dots that were all that was left of the back of the rivets on the inside.

4) I said that it was good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Lumpy-

Did you do anything to the rivets before removing the heat shield, or did you just tear it right out?  If you left the rivets, do they rattle or move now that the shield is not there to hold them tight?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Green0-

Same basic question:  Do those ground down rivets move or rattle now that they are missing their heads?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lumpy-

Did you do anything to the rivets before removing the heat shield, or did you just tear it right out?  If you left the rivets, do they rattle or move now that the shield is not there to hold them tight?
View Quote

I didnt have to do anything to the rivets.  They arent rattling either.  I just went and got mine out and pulled the lower rail off and looked, and they are still all inside there holes with ZERO movement.  Ripping the shield out with needle-nose tore the aluminum of the shield, but left the heads of the rivets in place, very securely apparently.

My RAS is from 1999, so I have no idea if older models are different than whats current being made.
Top Top