Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2003 9:02:27 PM EDT
I sent them an email about it but have not heard anything back.

Everyone has hear that HK is coming out with one (sometime after hell freezes over I think), but it would be nice if Bushmasters did it first.

Their M17S has a system almost exactly like it, why not transfer that gas system to the AR?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Everyone has hear that HK is coming out with one (sometime after hell freezes over I think), but it would be nice if Bushmasters did it first.

View Quote

HK will be introducing their system to the public by the end of the year, SHOT Show at the latest. Keep your eyes open. It should be interesting.

ls
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
are there any links to more information? This would be interesting.

Could any company copy the ZM weapons upper for cheaper?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Why????

The M16 system is reliable. G36 is not the answer to all the problem.  I would take a M16 over a G36 any day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
IMHO because it is easier for the average soldier to keep his piston rod system working longer without clean up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IMHO because it is easier for the average soldier to keep his piston rod system working longer without clean up.
View Quote

(stifling 7th grade "humor")
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why????

The M16 system is reliable. G36 is not the answer to all the problem.  I would take a M16 over a G36 any day.
View Quote

---------------
Absolutely correct -- the gas impingement system of the M-16 family has been and is being refined to a point where it works just fine.  Case in point, look at the COMPAK-16.  I've used one of these rare birds for the past few years and all thats required is a swap out of the barrel and gas system, the latter is nothing more tha a simple (but patented) gas trap ala early Garand.  Talk about fiscally prudent! About as simple as it gets.  I don't think they're available commercially, but this thing has never jammed and in USMC testing on both the 9.5" and 14.0" versions, they couldn't get it themo jam either and that's even when mated to problem-prone M4 lowers and problem prone magazines.  Accuracy was nuts, too: 1 MOA at 300M. Those guns had the new progressive gain-twist polygonal bore barrels.  Some type of propritary stainless optimized for auto weapons.  Amazing.
If you're an NFA holder, you might be able to get one.  I'm trying to talking to the company to see if they will market this thing in a Title one (e.g. non-NFA) barrel length.  It would clean clocks.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should read:

IMHO because it is easier for the average soldier to keep his rifle's piston rod system working longer without clean up.

I only realized my error after I log back on.

Note to self: Don't post too early in the morning :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Should read:

IMHO because it is easier for the average soldier to keep his rifle's piston rod system working longer without clean up.

I only realized my error after I log back on.

Note to self: Don't post too early in the morning :)
View Quote

actually my SL8/G36 conversion piston is so dirty after a shoot it has to be kepted cleaned.  If an avg. soldier is not keeping up with his or her maintenance schedule, no rifle in the word will function correctly, you can give them a ray gun and they will find a way to jam it.  it does not take too much for an avg soldier to clean his or her M16, it is just a routin they have to adapt to their daily schedule, especially in combat.  look at the Maintenance company that got ambushed in Iraq, they freaking jam the M2 50.  how hard is it to jam a 50?? keep the bursts long baby...
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#10]
In regards to the 507th Maintenance Company jams....
Obviously the RPG launchers didnt jam..
and sounds like they were taking both AK and Lt machine gun rounds...
I doubt the Iraqis took much trouble keeping their gear clean...
Either their stuff works better in the sand or something else is the problem
Sounds like the Marines and Airborne didnt have those problems with their gear...
Dont know how 3rd ID did...sounds like their weapons worked as well....
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why????

View Quote

I agree.

Why??
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
the only reason id want it is for a true folding stock, if it could be done without paying out the nose like with a ZM upper.
my brother has an LR300 and its nice but its not that nice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#14]
...OK, so make the upper and lower recievers out of polymer like the HK/Calvary Arms/Profesional Ordance and use a Garand style COMPAK-16 gas system. Got it [:)]

M16A5 rifle and M-5 carbine.

Maybe they could bore that in 6.8x43mm too. LOL![:D]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
the only reason id want it is for a true folding stock, if it could be done without paying out the nose like with a ZM upper.
my brother has an LR300 and its nice but its not that nice.
View Quote

There is advantage of the collapsible stock on the AR system, you can readily adjust the pull according to the environment.  a true folding stock is either open or closed, the AR collapsible stock can be adjusted for armor or CQB stance.  I think the AR stock are superior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top