Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2003 1:13:55 PM EDT
I picked this rifle up used a couple of weeks ago, and did not have the time (or a decent scope to put on it) until this weekend.

If you are unfamiliar with the SR15 Match, it features a 20" Krieger barrel, FF RAS, Knight's match trigger (with only one adjustment set screw - all the others I have used have had two - anyone?).  

These are attached to a nicely matched upper and lower.  The fit of the two was a little wobbly, so to ease my conscience I trimmed an Accu-Wedge to fit and put it in place.  

The scope is a Leupold 3.5-10 LR M3, Duplex reticle, in Leupold Ultra High Mark 4 30 mm rings.  The grip is a Sierra Precision "SPR" grip.

Off to the range with Federal 69 gr SMK's, Black Hills 75 gr BTHP Match, and Black Hills 77 gr SMK's.  This rifle seems to show a preference of the 77 SMK's - 77's on the left, 75's on the right, 100 yards:

The Federal 69's did alright too - 10 shots at 100 yds:

And, lastly, 10 rds of BH 77 SMK's at 150 yds:

The flyer at low left is my fault.  I'd like to say the one at the upper left is too, but I don't remember pulling it.  Still, it's a decent group.

After I got home from the range, I decided to adjust the trigger as it felt a little heavy.  For some reason, this trigger only has one adjustment screw, not the 2 I am used to seeing on a KAC trigger.   No matter, one quarter turn and the pull feels about a half pound lighter.  This can only help I'd say.

Overall, I am quite happy with this "out of the box" precision AR.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Great, another gun I have to get

Thats sweet, B
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The SR-15 Match is an awsome rifle.
I dont care what these guys say about their Bushies and RRA.

KAC's quality and out of the box performance is amazing.
Mine shoots Red Box Black hills 77gr. the best.

I also used the Arms #35 QD base with Arms Track Lock Rings.

Have fun shooting it.

Jm03
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Knight's match trigger (with only one adjustment set screw - all the others I have used have had two - anyone?).  

Overall, I am quite happy with this "out of the box" precision AR.[/quote]

Note on the trigger.  We went to an adjustment screw on both the front and rear hooks about 2 years ago.  So if your trigger has only one, its somewhat dated.  However, don't worry, it just means that our trigger guru back then (Jim Neff) hand fitted the the hook without the screw like he had done about 2,000 times before we took his suggestion and added a screw to that hook as well.
Note Two.  Keep shooting small groups (5-10 rounds) and cleaning the bore with Shooter's Choice and a good bore brush and patches to break it in slowly, (and every so often de-fouling with Shooter's Choice) and the groups will get even better.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
IF you are shooting groups at 100yds you might find (if the rifleing is 1/8) that .52grain moly coated shoot better at 100yds.

62grain ammo will probably shoot better as well but the 52's really shoot good at 100yds.

[b]Those long 77grain rounds don't really fully stabilize before 200-300meters.  So your groups at 100 and 200 will probably be about the same.

You will realize more accuracy potential out of the heavier rounds at long range[/b]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
my spr clone has a krieger 1x7.7. on it and its 18in. at 100yds 69 gr blue box black hills was the best folowed by some 77gr and then 75gr. going to try some 200yd hopefully this week. green o your the second person to say that the heavy bullets dont stabalize until 200-300yd.at that distance what kind of groups are we talking? what would the difference be in the groups with 69gr out at 200-300yds?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on a nice rifle.  I am a bit curious about the m ethod of scope mounting you used.  Maybe it is OK, I just don't know.  I would have thought that you would put both scope mounts on the reciever, instead of splitting them between that and the forward rail.  

Maybe it's just me.  I just never saw anyone mount a precision scope like that before.

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Congrats on a nice rifle.  I am a bit curious about the m ethod of scope mounting you used.  Maybe it is OK, I just don't know.  I would have thought that you would put both scope mounts on the reciever, instead of splitting them between that and the forward rail.  

Maybe it's just me.  I just never saw anyone mount a precision scope like that before.

View Quote

I have been experimenting with the front scope ring on the FF RAS and the upcoming URX.  Part of this experiment was to determine how much better (i.e., stiffer) the URX was in comparision to the older FF design as pictured above on the SR-15 Match Rifle we make here.
To date, I am very satisfied with the stiffness and stability of a front scope ring mounted as such on the older FF RAS.  I think this is better than the old solution of mounting both rings on the host UR, and then having to lengthen the buttstock to get the right combination of scope eye relief and length of pull.  This becomes even more apparent with vari-able power scopes that rob the scope mounter of some of his eye relief adustment on a fixed length receiver.  Especially for a shooter like me that likes to have his nose pretty close to the charging handle.
Needless to say however, the FF RAS needs to have its two barrel nut alignment pins installed properly and the HG Nut on good and tight, as well as having it (HG nut) checked with a strap wrench for tightness now and again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Coldblue... WE all like the KAC products and the rigorous testing they are put through but (please stop testing the URX and put it into production)  My new rifle could use a KAC URX and I want to build it before deer season in November (if that ends up being at all possible) (maybe some tools for sale so we could assemble them ourselves or send them to a guy like MSTN to get them assembled would also be a good idea).

[b]The accuracy difference I was talking about is a phenomenon that will cause groups at 100yds to be the same size as groups at 200 or even 300yds. (after that groups start to gradually open up as usuall).

My .300Win Mag (a heavy barreled gun with a lot of accuracy work) would shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100yds and 3/4inch groups at 300yds. (the distance tripled so technically the group should have been 1.5inches but that was not the case. The gunsmith I talked to said that longer heavier bullets and those fired in magnum calibers will experience turbulence as they leave the muzzle which will cause them to expeience an imperfect spin which will open groups slightly at close range (after which the effects of the turbulence altered spin wear off and the bullet is sailing more smoothly and uniformly through the air[/b]

I reccomend you go to the Krieger website for barrel break in info (Krieger people know what they are talking about and they have a very simple down to earth process that doesn't last forever.) As opposed to everyone on the planet and therir personal hocus pocus break in procedure that will leave you cleaning after every second shot till you wear out your cleaning rod or your patience and sell the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Cold Blue

When I saw that picture I was concerned that the rail mounting would cause some movement of the scope.  As you know,it doesn't take much to move POI.

I also like to stick my nose right on the charging handle.  And few scopes offer that kind of magnification and eye releif unless the scope is well forward.  Actually, I don't know of a scope that does.

Since my plinker doesn't have a KAC or other system, I found this for a solution.  I have been very happy with it so far.

Always nice to see new answers to problems though.  Keep at it.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=4601&iGalleryUnq=701&iImageUnq=15353[/img]

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Now let's see...

As far as break in goes, I bought this [b]used[/b], so I have no idea of previous round count.  Judging from the hammer face and buffer, it was not many at all.  So I will continue to shoot a few, then clean.  Plus I'll read what Krieger has to say..

Colblue, thanks for the input on the trigger (the nose looked like it had been stoned) and the suitability of mounting the scope on the FF RAS.  I figured it would work, but you never really know until you try it.  The compromised eye relief is the main reason to me not to mount it to the receiver alone.  I assume the FF RAS is properly mounted an tighened at the factory [;)].

As far as bullet weight goes, all I had on hand was 69, 75, and 77.  The 75's are clearly the least accurate at 100, but I'll give them a chance at longer range before I put the rest of the case up for sale.  I'll try some lighter rounds and see how they do as well.

Thanks guys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top