Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2003 10:33:12 AM EDT
Looking for shooter's experience with 6PPC upper in AR. Considering having one built, and wondering if its worth it. Actually doesn't have to be 6PPC; was thinking about 6.5mm PPC wildcat. Assume will use 7.62 x 39 bolt and Lapua brass. Will bolt take the pressure without ripping off lugs? Who does the barrels? In the end looking for higher BC and more punch past 400 yards in an AR15 platform. Maybe its a pipe dream. Do not want AR10. Any suggestions/experience helpful.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoever you use to build this rifle, make damn sure that they have experience with it and can give references to others that they have built one for. I have talked to some that have had less than desirable results by some claiming to be able to build one, but do not have the past experience that solves the functioning problems when going to this cartridge. One guy I can think of that might be able to do it or at least steer you to someone who can is Scott Medesha. Do a web search for Medesha firearms in AZ.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Oly Arms has made them in the past, 6mm PPC barrels, my shooting partner built an upper while I was working there.

It shot well, under one MOA, but nothing outstanding. He shot it only for a little while as he had some other bright and shiny project take away his interest, lol.

I cannot recall any FTF or other problems besides expensive brass and ammo.

I do recall a customer came in once while I was in the sales dept, 7 years ago, and he had a catastrophic failure of his bolt on his 6mmPPC AR-15. It turned out he was loading way out the book, ie his handloads were overpressure and blew up.

Fritze Out

BTW-17 cal barrels are very hard to make due to the small size of the hole, the  deep hole drill has a tendancy to wander while the bore is being cut out of the solid barstock.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:03:26 AM EDT
[#3]
We`ll have a 6x47SM AR in fall ( this swiss
round is very similiar to the 6mm PPC ).
Will post some pictures when ready.

M.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have thought the 6mm PPC would be good too.  Glen Zediker's book on the AR15 talks about it (and problems with it).  Finding a gunsmith is the trick.  It is tough to get it to function/feed well and magazines don't work as well with those cartridges.

When I have brought it up to a couple of local gunsmiths (specializing in AR's) they tend to  to steer me toward the 6mmx45.  Velocity is about the same (as the PPC), accuracy (claimed) is great and magazines/feeding is not an issue.  

One thing to do is to check ballistics tables with the calibers and bullets you are interested in and see how they compare.  You may be surprised comparing the 22-6mm-6.5mm with regards to velocity, wind drift, etc.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one...and the sad story is, I haven't had any time to get out and play w/ it.  Ahhhhhh....... need scope and rings.... Ammo is already loaded...
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For those that are interested, the 6.5 PPC will no longer be a wildcat and will become a production offering in the AR15.

Alexander Arms (maker of the .50 Beowulf) will be offering this round under the name of .26 Grendel.  They will have flat top carbine and rifle uppers, factory brass made by Lapua, loaded ammo, reloading dies and 10 round magazines that are manufactured specifically for the PPC.  For law enforcement and the military, there will be a 25 round magazine.

Currently, the only mention on the Alexander Arms website (http://www.alexanderarms.com) is under the military section.  It lists the .26 Grendel under development.

View Quote

I think I recall this from a post from the Shot show....  Not quite sure though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top