Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 12:51:33 PM EDT
Will KAC ever make a full length RAS II?  If they do, I've never seen one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't hold your breath. Knight's has denied having one thusfar, sooooo... Looks like the ARMS #59, FFRAS, and PRI are the only games in town until URX2.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
From my understanding coldblue would like to try one (or a few) to see if it works.

But KAC has been very very busy and this is a project that will take a back seat to all the military requirments...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The ARMS website sucks...

What's the #59?  I'd like to see a photo.

And who makes the URX2 and what is it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
URX project is a FF system in the works by KAC.  Has benefits like RAS and RAS II. Like RASII it free floats but will allow the upper reciever rails to continue uninterupted down the entire length of the forend while not changing the height of the upper reciever rails.  There are many many other attributes as well that I am sure KevinB or ColdBlue could better explain.  There are other posts on the board devoted to the URX as well.  It sounds like the poop from what I hear!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I asked this to ColdBlue, since I was waiting for one badly.

I don't think it will be available. KAC might have changed their plans, but as far as I know, they scrapped whole plan for rifle RAS II.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The RAS II makes it difficult to mount a conventional scope. If you are using an aimpoint or ACOG, then it works fine, but try to mount a full size scope to the RAS II and you run into problems. I don't think the hump from the RAS II would be a good idea on a rifle. Personally, I think the FF RAS is the best for that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The RAS II makes it difficult to mount a conventional scope...FF RAS is the best for that.
View Quote

I think "difficult" is very "scope" dependent.  Some scopes of short overall length will have a front scope ring mounting issue with the RAS II "bridge" (at least until someone comes up with a ring of appropriate heigth).  But on some large variable power scopes, where the power ring literally moves the scope closer to your eye, I find mounting the front ring on the RAS II a very good option to having the scope mounted too far back, i.e., hanging back over the charging handle. Especially if you follow the old gunsmith's rule of spreading the scope rings as far apart as possible on the scope body for its best stability.
Remember, most all these commercial scopes are designed for bolt action rifles and have about a 3 1/2" eye relief, and then just so much scope body area appropriate for scope ring attachment.
Of course for a 20" barrel capable of sub-moa, the FF RAS would be the best choice, all other things being equal.  But with the RAS II's lower rail and its integral barrel nut lip clamp and 2 indexing dowel pins that help secure the upper RAS II as well, once assembled, RAS II is extremely stable for a free-floating rail forend system that installs in less than 30 seconds.
ColdBlue got to do yard work now...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, forgot to add that a rifle length RAS II is no longer on the drawing boards at this time.  All our efforts are on the URX series rifles and carbines on contract "this year" to US Military & Government.  They probably will not be available commercially (either on weapons or on uppers--no final decision on this issue as of yet) until 2004.
ColdBlue really go to go now...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't get me wrong, I love my RAS II, I just think for a rifle, there are better options than a full length RAS II. But as you said, you don't plan to produce it, so it's really not an issue. Anyway, until then, I'll be saving up for the URX.

Steve.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I have nothing to add to this other than that I enjoy how coldblue ends his posts..."coldblue got to do yard work now"..lol [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top