Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 3:04:09 PM EDT
I was wondering when someone might come out with a "M4 Style" ramped forged A-3 flattop upper that doesn't cost $250.

The ramps don't cost $150 it's the Colt limited supply BS.

Anyone know of a Manufacturer who sells these cheaper?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Armalite, Diemaco & DPMS.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
M4 feed ramps?

Bushy has them on their M4 selected uppers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/p79511e9f43a4853ce2cc8ea4ef9840b7/fc1d655d.jpg[/img]

Armalite M15A4 upper. I thought only Colts had them too, until I saw mine?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Rock river has them on there M4 barrels! so i guess the question is Who doesnt?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Both of my DPMS uppers have them.  Plus, I think Kurt offers this service for $35.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the reason for them was to help feed the M856 tracer ammo better?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
my RRA m4 upper has them
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard that "armalite M4 ramped uppers" crap and I called Armalite the same day.

I talked to three different people who told me that "Were sorry Armalite never made any ramped uppers, we currently have no plan to make a M4 ramped upper."

So where are you guys buying them???

[b]I am looking for just a complete upper reciever (no barrel ass) with FORGED in and hardcoated M4 ramps for somewhere near reasonable pricing (like $150).[/b]

I guess I'll check the DPMS website.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Green,
I don't think you'll find a factory receiver witht he ramps, because I believe that the ramps are extended to the receiver from those which are part of the barrel extension.
I can say that as a certainty, but that's what it appears to be on the rifles I ahve which do have the ramps.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a DPMS M4A3 Complete upper from CMMG and it has the feedramps.

I am pretty sure CMMG has some in stock right now if your looking.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]
My RRA varmint upper have the ramp.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]

I put my own in a 7.62X39 upper. You guys act like it's some kind of a magic act or something. [):)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was wondering when someone might come out with a "M4 Style" ramped forged A-3 flattop upper that doesn't cost $250.

View Quote

Are you building a full auto upper or planning of firing tracer ammo, or just want them for bragging rights?
There are thousands of AR's out there that feed reliably without them.
WHy spend the extra money on something you may not have a need for, especially if your on a budget?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

WHy spend the extra money on something you may not have a need for, especially if your on a budget?
View Quote

Why, because if you do some research and buy right it won't cost anymore then the recievers that don't have it.  If you're buying a new one you might well get all for you money! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I put my own in a 7.62X39 upper. You guys act like it's some kind of a magic act or something. [):)]
View Quote

how?  die-grinder?  dremel?  i was about to ask if anybody had done it themselves, but then i re-read this topic and saw that you have.  do tell.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

how?  die-grinder?  dremel?  i was about to ask if anybody had done it themselves, but then i re-read this topic and saw that you have.  do tell.
View Quote

GENTLY! I used a dremel with a soft cone on a low speed, and let the stone do the work. There is very little material to remove, and you want everything smooth. My DPMS barrel came with the ramps, and I've put it on two uppers. The Bushmaster barrel that went on the first one I cut almost matched too, just a little smoothing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you building a full auto upper or planning of firing tracer ammo, or just want them for bragging rights?
There are thousands of AR's out there that feed reliably without them.
View Quote

Because in my SHTF rifle and defense rifle, the adjective "MARGINAL FEEDING" does not fit my description of a defense weapon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Just recieved my Armalite M15A4T upper today from Quantico. It indeed has the feed ramp cuts and looks exactly like new-arguy's.

Good Shooting
Red
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I called DPMS now and found that their uppers DO NOT COME WITH RAMPS.  rather they are cut after assembly and aluminum blackened.

I have cut my own ramps too (with a Dremel) but I realized that I cut through the hardcoat anodizing.  I don't have a good feeling about cutting through anodizing that makes the buttery soft aluminum harder.

I am building 2 uppers (a 16in and a 10.5 that I plan to put a KAC suppressor on) I think the 10.5 with the suppressor will benefit from the ramps.

The Lewis Machine and tool uppers may be the only "cheaper ramped and anodized upper" out there.

I looked at my A-2 and noticed two marks where the rounds had been hitting the upper reciever. The ramps seem like a good idea.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I used a .25in dremel cylindrical stone and equal sized polishing attachment.

You just cut on the same angle as the original ramps to a deeper depth (untill the ramps in the upper reciever look like the Colt ramps) then polish these and debur the top edges with the polishing attachment or they will score brass and bullets.

They work but i am not sure how the non-anodized ramps compare to hardcoat anodized ramps as far as life and wear are concerned.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#22]
They work but i am not sure how the non-anodized ramps compare to hardcoat anodized ramps as far as life and wear are concerned.
View Quote

Good point!  annodizing provides a slicker harde surface that should resist wear better.  However if the bullet tips don't actually hit the reciever part of the ramp then no harm done (and of course no need for the ramp in the first place).
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought a DPMS M4A3 Complete upper from CMMG and it has the feedramps.

I am pretty sure CMMG has some in stock right now if your looking.
View Quote

I have the same thing (thanks, M4), but it does [b]not[/b] have the feedramps.  The feedramps are in the barrel extension, but not cut into the upper itself.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
M4 feed ramps?

Bushy has them on their M4 selected uppers.
View Quote

I called Bushmaster and they said this was not true.  Where did you ge thtis information.  The M4 1/7 twist barrel I have does not have the extended feed ramps cut into it either.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#25]
why do you need them. Is owning a ar15 about looking cool or protection against ememys.I have never had a jam with my colt or bush m-4's.I don't have the special uppers but the barrels are both 14.5" m-4 barrels. would this help my already perfect 76,000 plus record(personal) of no jams. do you guys also repaint your mags so they look new.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#26]
For what it is worth, the ramps on my colt m4 were cut through the anodizing, so the aluminum is bare.  Not an issue though since the bullets will rarely, if ever, contact that part of the receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top