Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 8:06:13 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban Eagle Arms/Armalite A2 16" upper with a stainless steel barrel, threaded for flash hider.  The barrel outside dimensions are as follows: Under handguards = 0.875", At front sight = 0.750" & In front of sight = 0.720".  The barrel markings are: SS, W & 1/9.
My question is, does anyone know if this barrel would have been chambered NATO 556mm, or SAMMI .223?  My understanding is that "modern" stainless steel barrels are usually HBARs or bull dimentioned and would be chambered SAMMI for accuracy. I e-mailed Eagle Arms, but have not yet recieved any reply.  By the way, thanks to all for a great forum!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have found it doesn't really matter if the chamber is SAAMI or NATO.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys for the input.  I will be contacting Kurt regarding re-chambering to 556mm.  I do intend to be using the NATO M193/Q3131 loads and I do not want to be taking a chance w/ stuck brass (even for range trips).
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Harry, I've had my Pre Ban Eagle Arms for about eight years now.  I've shot about 4,000 rounds of surplus 5.56mm through it and have NEVER had a casing get stuck in the chamber.  Just food for thought.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have shot a lot of Q3131a without problem.  Also Lake City, and other NATO ammo.  I DON'T shoot Wolf.

Your Eagle Arms is mfg'd by Armalite.  Go to www.armalite.com and on the left in the blue field click on Tech Notes.  Then read Tech Note 45.  That should be helpful.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Just had to revitalize this thread because I just got off the phone with someone at Armalite.

The lady I spoke with said it really doesn't matter what the chamber is.  They claim that millions of NATO spec ammo has been fired through SAAMI chambers without a problem.  

I really hope this is true.  I hope to have an older Eagle Arms Predator in my hands in the next couple of weeks.  
Scott
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#8]
This tread reminded me that there was something I needed to look up..

I had seen reference to a [blue][b].223 Wylde[/b][/blue] chamber in some of the ads in SGN, mostly for the flattop "accuracy" type uppers/bbl's.

Well, seems there are quite a few chambers along the .223 / 5.56 topic...

check this link out, just to make things even more confusing: [:)]

[url]http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
If you shoot surplus, you'd want Nato chambering.  I had one lot of SA surplus that would not function 100% in a Ruger or Model 1 upper but the stuff works 100% in a Colt barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top