Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 5:48:37 AM EDT
I saw that Wes is selling full auto bolt and carrier groups with the Crane extractor mod for $250. I did a search but came up with nothing.

What is modified, and what does it accomplish?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:07:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:36:35 AM EDT
If thats all it is why in the world is it more than twice as expensive as a Bushmaster M16 Bolt/Carrier?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:22:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/16/2003 7:24:03 AM EDT by Muad_Dib]
Originally Posted By MSTN: IT'S NOTHING MORE THAN A SIMPLE, HEAT AND SOLVENT RESISTANT O-RING. IT FITS OVER THE EXTRACTOR SPRING AND PROVIDES MORE RELIABLE EXTRACTION. "WORKS FINE. LASTS LONG TIME." WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST ASK ME? WES GRANT [URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote
Thanks Wes. I figured you'd be one of the first to answer this. [:)] The reason I didn't simply ask you is because, after doing my fruitless search, I figured it would be best to start a thread with a searchable title for others to find in the future. I thought that this might be a newly designed bolt with the extractor and spring in a different configuration so that centrifugal force doesn't fling the extractor open anymore. Can you tell what the inside diameter, outside diameter and thickness of the O-ring is? I ask because I did this mod to my extractor about 2 years ago with a 13 cent ring from the hardware store. It throws the brass at about a 45 degree angle behind me and I've been starting to wonder if the o-ring is too thick. BTW, I clean my bolt with brake cleaner and after X-thousand rounds and several cleanings in the last two years, the O-ring still looks brand new.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:16:01 AM EDT
Is this the same thing as the D-Fender?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:05:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL: If thats all it is why in the world is it more than twice as expensive as a Bushmaster M16 Bolt/Carrier?
View Quote
Les Baer Custom chromed bolt carrier (formerly Young Manufacturing).
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:57:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:58:49 PM EDT
You can buy the O-ring at Home Depot and get 200 or so for 3.00. I have a friend who has the same one installed for about 5000 rounds. John
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:56:04 PM EDT
Understood...
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:34:35 AM EDT
Crane made a presentation last week in Kanas City about their successful 10" CQB Carbine program. They briefed a new "5-coil" extractor spring in lieu of the standard 4-coil. They did not mention any "o-rings", but did say the 10" upper incldes the "one-piece coil gas ring", and it looked by the test data they were replacing gas tube at about 5,000 rounds. ColdBlue was there...
Top Top