Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 5:48:37 AM EDT
I saw that Wes is selling full auto bolt and carrier groups with the Crane extractor mod for $250.  I did a search but came up with nothing.

What is modified, and what does it accomplish?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If thats all it is why in the world is it more than twice as expensive as a Bushmaster M16 Bolt/Carrier?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
IT'S NOTHING MORE THAN A SIMPLE, HEAT AND SOLVENT RESISTANT O-RING.

IT FITS OVER THE EXTRACTOR SPRING AND PROVIDES MORE RELIABLE EXTRACTION.

"WORKS FINE. LASTS LONG TIME."

WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST ASK ME?

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

Thanks Wes.  I figured you'd be one of the first to answer this.  [:)]

The reason I didn't simply ask you is because, after doing my fruitless search, I figured it would be best to start a thread with a searchable title for others to find in the future.

I thought that this might be a newly designed bolt with the extractor and spring in a different configuration so that centrifugal force doesn't fling the extractor open anymore.

Can you tell what the inside diameter, outside diameter and thickness of the O-ring is?  I ask because I did this mod to my extractor about 2 years ago with a 13 cent ring from the hardware store.  It throws the brass at about a 45 degree angle behind me and I've been starting to wonder if the o-ring is too thick.

BTW, I clean my bolt with brake cleaner and after X-thousand rounds and several cleanings in the last two years, the O-ring still looks brand new.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this the same thing as the D-Fender?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If thats all it is why in the world is it more than twice as expensive as a Bushmaster M16 Bolt/Carrier?
View Quote

Les Baer Custom chromed bolt carrier (formerly Young Manufacturing).
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You can buy the O-ring at Home Depot and get 200 or so for 3.00.  I have a friend who has the same one installed for about 5000 rounds.

John
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Understood...
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Crane made a presentation last week in Kanas City about their successful 10" CQB Carbine program.  They briefed a new "5-coil" extractor spring in lieu of the standard 4-coil.
They did not mention any "o-rings", but did say the 10" upper incldes the "one-piece coil gas ring", and it looked by the test data they were replacing gas tube at about 5,000 rounds.
ColdBlue was there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top