Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone else have the anti walk pins provided have too much side to side play on the lower, bout a mm to long? Don't think it would do anything bad but its annoying me and I think I'll have to get a KNS set.

EDIT: now noticed Rare Breed sells just the FRT spring https://www.rarebreedfirearms.com/locking-bar-spring/ and antiwalk pin and antiwalk pin screws as seperate parts. Maybe they will the locking bar too.
View Quote

The provided anti walk pins suck. After about 4 mags the screws were halfway out. I replaced them with KNS pins.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sear fix
View Quote

I wouldn't mind giving them $75 (at this point is just a drop in the ocean), but who are these guys?
Anybody has direct experience with this company?
Are they legit or am I find my trigger for sale on Gunbroker a week after shipping it to them for an upgrade?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone tried one if these in a BRN-180?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wouldn't mind giving them $75 (at this point is just a drop in the ocean), but who are these guys?
Anybody has direct experience with this company?
Are they legit or am I find my trigger for sale on Gunbroker a week after shipping it to them for an upgrade?
View Quote

They are legit. Small outfit local to me.  I know the owner personally and he does great work
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They are legit. Small outfit local to me.  I know the owner personally and he does great work
View Quote

I've been to the guy's house. Nice dude. Also maybe a couple miles down from me. I never thought of just drilling the spring hole a little more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, good to know.
I might have to send him mine.
Maybe he will also sell spare springs and plungers (I am one of those jik kind of guys...??)
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok, good to know.
Maybe he will also sell spare springs and plungers (I am one of those jik kind of guys...??)
View Quote

By the looks of it, the springs and plungers are just bolt catch small parts. He frequents this forum so I wouldn't be surprised if he got some ideas from this thread.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok, good to know.
Maybe he will also sell spare springs and plungers (I am one of those jik kind of guys...)
View Quote
Looks like he's using a bolt catch plunger and plunger spring. Damage Industries sells those for $1 each. They have a free shipping right now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Anybody tested this on their trigger?
Different spring/plunger affecting rof or changing the buffer weight requirements (can't imagine it would, but if someone tried it out I'd love to hear about it).
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Different spring/plunger affecting rof or changing the buffer weight requirements (can't imagine it would, but if someone tried it out I'd love to hear about it).
View Quote
I plan to try it soon. I have springs and detents coming from damage.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would bet money that it probably reduces the amount of bolt bounce because of less spring tension.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I plan to try it soon. I have springs and detents coming from damage.
View Quote

Please do report!
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I destroyed my carbide 5/32 bit. I ordered another one so when I receive it, I'll see if I can get it drilled out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I did my own version of the armament usa modification for the locking bar with the bolt spring like before and used a bolt catch plunger. I'm deeming it "v2". I simply used a TiN 5/32 bit to drill out the spring hole and used a 3/16 bit to drill into the locking bar inside. I also increase the bevel depth of the locking bar.

A few things to note:
- the locking bar doesn't feel as "spongey" as my v1 modification and instead feels "springier"
- the locking bar travels slightly further than v1
- another foolproof method to keep the spring from kinking.

The only benefit I could see doing this modification is slightly less bolt bounce potential because the locking bar travels further back. This will probably increase the amount of springs/buffer combinations you can use.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did my own version of the armament usa modification for the locking bar with the bolt spring like before and used a bolt catch plunger. I'm deeming it "v2". I simply used a TiN 5/32 bit to drill out the spring hole and used a 3/16 bit to drill into the locking bar inside. I also increase the bevel depth of the locking bar.

A few things to note:
- the locking bar doesn't feel as "spongey" as my v1 modification and instead feels "springier"
- the locking bar travels slightly further than v1
- another foolproof method to keep the spring from kinking.

The only benefit I could see doing this modification is slightly less bolt bounce potential because the locking bar travels further back. This will probably increase the amount of springs/buffer combinations you can use.
View Quote
Any pictures?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any pictures?
View Quote

I will be doing a video soon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I will be doing a video soon.
View Quote
Thanks.  I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#18]
the anti walk pins provided have too much side to side play on the lower, bout a mm to long
View Quote

It was annoying to me as well. But then I reasoned that if they fit tightly against the lower, they could easily scratch the anodizing. While most builders wouldn't care, I really don't want to mess up the finish on my Colt 6920 if I really don't have to. The back and forth play allows me to tighten without damage. After awhile I totally quit noticing it. And I'm pretty OCD. You might try and live with it a bit before doing anything.
Good catch on the replacement springs. I find it telling that the description is all messed up. Can this company just not get the easy stuff right? Like amateur hour sometimes. Yet the trigger itself is a nicely made piece of machinery.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Just bought one from BDU (they still have stock as of this post). Should I send to Armanment first or try my luck out of the box?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Just bought one from BDU (they still have stock as of this post). Should I send to Armanment first or try my luck out of the box?
View Quote

I'm going to mod my own.  About $2 in parts and 15 minutes of work.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Doing the mod that Armament offers is SUPER easy if you have any experience with a Dremel.

AR Bolt Catch Plunger
AR Bolt Catch Spring

15 min of disassembly, dremel, cold blueing, and reassembly.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone gotten these to work with different calibers? I know the groups been mixed results with 9mm (I couldn’t get mine to work) but I haven’t heard of any other calibers. Mainly hoping for 7.62x39. Anyone tried it and been successful? My magazines blew downward when I tried the x39. Also was it non ramped bolts that work for 9mm?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has anyone gotten these to work with different calibers? I know the groups been mixed results with 9mm (I couldn't get mine to work) but I haven't heard of any other calibers. Mainly hoping for 7.62x39. Anyone tried it and been successful? My magazines blew downward when I tried the x39. Also was it non ramped bolts that work for 9mm?
View Quote
I doubt there is enough hammer pressure for 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Based on the video on of the design in operation I find it highly unlikely that it would operate with the CMMG .22 conversion kit.  

The way that cycles is COMPLETELY different than a standard BCG including the required dimensions for reset.

View Quote

Some months gone by since the above post.
Has anyone figured out a way to make it work yet?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#25]
If you were building an upper to use with the frt, what barrel length/gas system would you use with goals of reliability and a r.o.f. on the slower side?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone gotten these to work with different calibers? I know the groups been mixed results with 9mm (I couldn’t get mine to work) but I haven’t heard of any other calibers. Mainly hoping for 7.62x39. Anyone tried it and been successful? My magazines blew downward when I tried the x39. Also was it non ramped bolts that work for 9mm?
View Quote

No help other than to point out the trigger pack doesn't fit in my ks47.  The mag release spring interferes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you were building an upper to use with the frt, what barrel length/gas system would you use with goals of reliability and a r.o.f. on the slower side?
View Quote
18" rifle gas will keep you on the slower side. I used an AIM surplus barrel on mine. Gas block is pinned, which I like.
Rare Breed FRT-15 Forced Reset Trigger

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
18" rifle gas will keep you on the slower side. I used an AIM surplus barrel on mine. Gas block is pinned, which I like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYMaVp_eqFg
View Quote

Figured that combo would be a contender.  I have 2, one being my spr with a Rainier ultramatch and the other my coyote rifle with a Faxon Gunner.  Neither suited for high r.o.f.

I have an innovative arms war upper laying around that I was thinking might be cool for this project too.  Will be mostly suppressed.

Eta: that aim barrel is a nice deal...
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Are these every going to be back in stock?  I have two emails entered in and I check the site throughout the day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are these every going to be back in stock?  I have two emails entered in and I check the site throughout the day.
View Quote
I found one last week. Should be at my house when I get home from work.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I found one last week. Should be at my house when I get home from work.
View Quote

Did you get notified or did you find it on their site?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Did you get notified or did you find it on their site?
View Quote
A friend sent me a link. It was wierd because it didn't show up as in stock on their website, but the link I had would show in stock. Lasted about an hour, then that link showed out of stock as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#33]
It was wierd because it didn't show up as in stock on their website, but the link I had would show in stock.
View Quote

Again, I say, this company acts like a mom and pop working out of their kitchen after they get home from their day jobs.
They don't act like they plan on being around for long. Makes sense, given the nature of their product offerings.
Remember the posters here early on that claimed they were involved with R&D etc....crickets.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Again, I say, this company acts like a mom and pop working out of their kitchen after they get home from their day jobs.
They don't act like they plan on being around for long. Makes sense, given the nature of their product offerings.
Remember the posters here early on that claimed they were involved with R&D etc....crickets.
View Quote

Yeah but the issue happens on the in stock notification with BDU too.

On a side note, I'm about 100% sure the owner of Spikes is also the owner of this company. He was the one that said he was the person who made the design, but he is also nowhere to be found. I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah but the issue happens on the in stock notification with BDU too.

On a side note, I'm about 100% sure the owner of Spikes is also the owner of this company. He was the one that said he was the person who made the design, but he is also nowhere to be found. I could be wrong though.
View Quote

Yep, this is a Spikes trigger.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've been to the guy's house. Nice dude. Also maybe a couple miles down from me. I never thought of just drilling the spring hole a little more.
View Quote

Sent him an email for some clarification and got a reply in like 20 minutes!
Definitely will be doing business with him.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sent him an email for some clarification and got a reply in like 20 minutes!
Definitely will be doing business with him.
View Quote

Super chill dude.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I pulled my first rare breed trigger out and compared the spring to my new one. After about 300 rounds I have a slight kink. Old spring is on top. New spring from my second trigger is on the bottom.
Attachment Attached File

To fix the problem going forward, I cut a 1.5mm allen wrench down and inserted it inside the spring, then reassembled it. Mine never quit working, but I want to avoid problems.
Attachment Attached File

This should limit compression and provide a hard stop that prevents future kinking.

I installed the new FRT into a Spikes lower and it assembled easily. No super tight fire control pin issues like my DSA lower had.

I've got this one setup as a pistol so I can run my 11.5" upper while I wait for my F1 to clear. Hand cycling feels good. Hopefully I can shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Great info guys. I just got a second trigger myself. That one is gonna stay stock and stowed for now, curious in the end if the V1 mod or V2 will end up being better. Got what I need to do both but will wait for ahrion's feedback since he is already doing both versions. I was about to start the V1 mod since this is my first full weekend off in a while where I can set down and do it but dang y'all move fast on working on fixing those issues. We have some great guys here. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Great info guys. I just got a second trigger myself. That one is gonna stay stock and stowed for now, curious in the end if the V1 mod or V2 will end up being better. Got what I need to do both but will wait for ahrion's feedback since he is already doing both versions. I was about to start the V1 mod since this is my first full weekend off in a while where I can set down and do it but dang y'all move fast on working on fixing those issues. We have some great guys here. Keep up the good work.
View Quote

I really need to get a video out. The amount of YouTube retardation is uncanny. The fact that people don't seem to understand Newton's first law of physics is mind boggling to me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I really need to get a video out. The amount of YouTube retardation is uncanny. The fact that people don't seem to understand Newton's first law of physics is mind boggling to me.
View Quote

What did we do now???
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Test fired my new pistol setup with the 1.5mm rod in the spring. Ran flawlessly and locked open on the last round. I think it's running right around 1k RPM as it sits with Monarch steel case ammunition. The Sprinco Red makes it want to run. No hanging up in the rearward position if you pull hard.

11.5" BA barrel
10.5" Centurion Mlok rail
H2 buffer
Sprinco red spring
Brownells lightweight M16 BCG
Lantac Keymo brake
Dead Air Nomad
FRT-15
Attachment Attached File

Rod.
Attachment Attached File

Full compression with rod in place.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Test fired my new pistol setup with the 1.5mm rod in the spring. Ran flawlessly and locked open on the last round. I think it's running right around 1k RPM as it sits with Monarch steel case ammunition. The Sprinco Red makes it want to run. No hanging up in the rearward position if you pull hard.

11.5" BA barrel
10.5" Centurion Mlok rail
H2 buffer
Sprinco red spring
Brownells lightweight M16 BCG
Lantac Keymo brake
Dead Air Nomad
FRT-15
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/Resized_20210410_190626_jpeg-1900231.JPG

Rod.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20210408_233106_jpg-1898107.JPG

Full compression with rod in place.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20210410_191036_jpg-1900233.JPG
View Quote
Intresting. May do this to my unaltered FRT-15 if ever need to. Got impatient and sent the first one off to Armament without waiting on you or ahrion to make vids lol. How many rounds would you say this one went through and does the spring look good?

Gonna use the Spikes Optimus buffer at H3 weight with a sprinco white and PWS Mod 2 buffer tube for my lower while I build a dedicated upper but I'm already eyeing switching the tube to an A5 and using the A5H3 or A5H4 or staying with this current tube and maybe getting the PWS H4 buffer for standard tubes? Wanna lower the ROF to make the gun last longer heat wise. Pretty sure I'm going 18" rifle gas CHF Heavy or 16".

42 in stock at BDU as of now by the way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Spliced a few quick clips together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYMaVp_eqFg
View Quote

jaqufrost was the ROF at around the 0:00 -0:15 mark with the 9mm buffer and A5 tube or an A5H* buffer? Going to build a similar upper just different rail.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#45]
That was with the A5H2 buffer. The 9mm hydraulic buffer didn't seem to work as well.

I'm going to swap to a standard spring instead of the flatwire. The FRT-15 trigger needs the higher pressure at the rear of the BCG stroke or it's too easy to stop the BCG while it's at the back.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Intresting. May do this to my unaltered FRT-15 if ever need to. Got impatient and sent the first one off to Armament without waiting on you or ahrion to make vids lol. How many rounds would you say this one went through and does the spring look good?

Gonna use the Spikes Optimus buffer at H3 weight with a sprinco white and PWS Mod 2 buffer tube for my lower while I build a dedicated upper but I'm already eyeing switching the tube to an A5 and using the A5H3 or A5H4 or staying with this current tube and maybe getting the PWS H4 buffer for standard tubes? Wanna lower the ROF to make the gun last longer heat wise. Pretty sure I'm going 18" rifle gas CHF Heavy or 16".

42 in stock at BDU as of now by the way.
View Quote
I have a little over 300 rounds on my first FRT-15 and about 30 on my second. I had slight kinking on the first so I added the rod to limit rotation of the firing pin block. Test fired both yesterday with the rods in place and they worked beautifully.

I'll probably buy a couple more triggers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That was with the A5H2 buffer. The 9mm hydraulic buffer didn't seem to work as well.

I'm going to swap to a standard spring instead of the flatwire. The FRT-15 trigger needs the higher pressure at the rear of the BCG stroke or it's too easy to stop the BCG while it's at the back.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I pulled my first rare breed trigger out and compared the spring to my new one. After about 300 rounds I have a slight kink. Old spring is on top. New spring from my second trigger is on the bottom.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20210407_212842_jpg-1898106.JPG

To fix the problem going forward, I cut a 1.5mm allen wrench down and inserted it inside the spring, then reassembled it. Mine never quit working, but I want to avoid problems.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20210408_233106_jpg-1898107.JPG

This should limit compression and provide a hard stop that prevents future kinking.

I installed the new FRT into a Spikes lower and it assembled easily. No super tight fire control pin issues like my DSA lower had.

I've got this one setup as a pistol so I can run my 11.5" upper while I wait for my F1 to clear. Hand cycling feels good. Hopefully I can shoot it this weekend.
View Quote

Where do you get that new spring?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Where do you get that new spring?
View Quote
That spring came with my second trigger. I haven't ordered any replacement springs. My first spring has a slight kink but still works fine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#50]
They went from "why are all these triggers being sold on the EE" to selling out on the EE pretty fast.
Page / 56
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top