AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a JP speed hammer and yellow spring.  I removed it because of light primer strikes.  

It is a large pin set in my junk bin in case some unicorn is installing one of these in a Colt lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s called bobbing the hammer. When you put a light hammer spring, you have to bob the spur off. A bobbed hammer weights 0.8 ounces and a factory hammer weighs 1.1 ounces.

With a factory hammer, you need a heavy spring to move that weight. If you install a light hammer spring, it cannot move the heavy hammer fast enough which will cause light primer strikes.

With a bobbed hammer, removing the spur removes weight and when paired with a lightweight hammer spring, it moves at a fast enough speed to give reliable primer strikes. The only downfall is you cannot use old ammo with hard primers like that old Russian stuff. All modern American made brass cases ammo such as fiocchi and even lake city works every time.

The take up screw, well you install it like the instructions say. You tighten the grip screw all the way down and then use the long supplied Allen wrench and screw that all the way in until it stops moving the trigger bow. Then back off a 1/4 turn because if you don’t, you won’t be able to move you safety selectors. Once that is in its proper place, you will find that the amount of pull required to get the hammer to release is about 1/8th of an inch versus a full 1/4 inch.

Bobbing the hammer, installing the take up screw with light trigger and hammer springs and polishing the contact points causes a heavy trigger pull of 7 pounds to become 3 pounds that is 100% reliable. I do it to all of my ar15’s and I’ve helped friends do it as well.

JP enterprises who makes ar15 trigger springs sells pre-bobbed hammers. They call them speed hammers.

It takes about 30-45 minutes between everything and per trigger cost is about $15.

Here is a picture of a bobbed hammer. You can do the same with a few minutes and an angle grinder. You just have to make sure you cut it correct and have it even. You don’t want it uneven as weight distribution when smacking the firing pin doesn’t work.

https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004fa/www.brownells.com/v~4b.b5/userdocs/products/p_452015100_1.jpg?yocs=l_

I have a JP speed hammer and yellow spring.  I removed it because of light primer strikes.  

It is a large pin set in my junk bin in case some unicorn is installing one of these in a Colt lower.

When I had mine, I used Taylor tactical springs and I cut a standard hammer into a speed hammer. Never had light primer strikes with 5.56/.223. I did when I used .22LR conversion kit. With the .22, I had to use regular springs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

When I had mine, I used Taylor tactical springs and I cut a standard hammer into a speed hammer. Never had light primer strikes with 5.56/.223. I did when I used .22LR conversion kit. With the .22, I had to use regular springs.
View Quote

I used the KVP light hammer spring with the JP hammer and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
That's awesome that he's back. It was a shame what they were trying to do to him.

IMO it's the best choice out there. Easy to tune, easy to source parts. What's not to love.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some wrong info in this thread,

FIRST of all BATF rescinded their position on the M-16 carrier in a letter so it’s LEGAL, But....

This was from a 2000 ruling issued by BATF and to my knowledge the only change to date is declaring the M-16 carrier legal in AR-15’s

The fact that a person lawfully possesses a registered NFA firearm
does not grant authorization to possess additional non-registered
firearms. A person who possesses a registered M16 machinegun and
a semiautomatic AR15 and a separate quantity of M16 machinegun
components could be in possession of two machineguns.

We advise any person who possesses an AR15 rifle not to possess M16
fire control components (trigger, hammer, disconnector, selector,
and bolt carrier). If a person possessed only the M16 machinegun
and spare M16 fire control components for that machinegun, the
person would possess only one machinegun.
View Quote

Is this true?

I always thought it was shady / suspect for him to only offer 80% units and put all the legal liability and risk on the customers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is this true?

I always thought it was shady / suspect for him to only offer 80% units and put all the legal liability and risk on the customers.
View Quote

I mean this is technically all relative because the disconnector is not M16 and a sear would technically be considered a part of the fire control group, no?

Even if all the parts were M16 parts regardless, the firearm cannot fire selectively. I could be wrong but the law supercedes any stupid ATF rules, which is why the first case against bumpstocks was thrown out by a judge. While we all seem to go by ATF rules, they're largely made without any real legal consequence. I would love to see cases in which someone owns all M16 parts without a sear have been tried and put in prison as a result. There's one thing that clear is that the law doesn't prohibit this.

I'm obviously not an expert.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#6]
On an AR anything short of a drilled 3rd-pin receiver (or a drop-in system like a DIAS or LL) is not a machine gun.

I'd love to see the case law proving otherwise.

The ATF letters have chilling effects, which is the intent (because who wants to be the test case!).
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I mean this is technically all relative because the disconnector is not M16 and a sear would technically be considered a part of the fire control group, no?

Even if all the parts were M16 parts regardless, the firearm cannot fire selectively. I could be wrong but the law supercedes any stupid ATF rules, which is why the first case against bumpstocks was thrown out by a judge. While we all seem to go by ATF rules, they're largely made without any real legal consequence. I would love to see cases in which someone owns all M16 parts without a sear have been tried and put in prison as a result. There's one thing that clear is that the law doesn't prohibit this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this true?

Technically with all full auto trigger components but not auto sear will still allow full auto. The issue is you could have an out of battery firing which could blow up the upper receiver, make your magazine fly out. You “could” damage your face and hands.

That would still constitute a machine gun without an auto sear.

However......this kit does not have an auto sear and the auto disconnectors. This kit when firing, cannot go full auto. It’s not physically possible. Try it and prove me wrong. You simply cannot get this to be full auto. It’s 100% binary all the way in the 3rd position.

I’m curious how his decision to sell 80% kits will effect his relationship/legal liabilities with Franklin armory.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Technically with all full auto trigger components but not auto sear will still allow full auto. The issue is you could have an out of battery firing which could blow up the upper receiver, make your magazine fly out. You “could” damage your face and hands.

That would still constitute a machine gun without an auto sear.

However......this kit does not have an auto sear and the auto disconnectors. This kit when firing, cannot go full auto. It’s not physically possible. Try it and prove me wrong. You simply cannot get this to be full auto. It’s 100% binary all the way in the 3rd position.

I’m curious how his decision to sell 80% kits will effect his relationship/legal liabilities with Franklin armory.
View Quote

I mean you can fire double or burst by putting your hammer spring backwards, but they don't consider having a hammer spring in your AR as a machine gun.

I have a feeling they decided to come to a licensing agreement OR ITFD just said fuck it. I would lean towards the first though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
A couple of announcements from Bob Gallagher. I don't know what agreements got reached between him and Franklin Armory but he's opening a second facility.

Wed, Mar 3, 2021 8:58 am

New Product Announcement.

ITF Binary trigger kit for the Smith and Wesson AR15 22LR. No modifications will need to be done to the lower receiver. Your choice of M16 replica trigger, Trigger with non-slip serrations, and Bullmoose flat shoe trigger. This trigger kit will be released for sale in the next 2 to 3 weeks and will be available for pre-order starting tomorrow.

I am also happy to announce the addition of our 2nd manufacturing and distribution facility, ITF Miami, FL. Ran by Operations Manager Rich Cote.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
This one concerns a "fix" if you're experiencing any issues in binary mode. The video is also on his website.

Sun, Feb 28, 2021 8:07 pm

https://youtu.be/VvAYZPlRync

I made a quick video on how to calibrate the ITF Trigger. Prior to shutting down my first website, I shipped out a redesigned disconnector set. I screwed up by deleting the website and losing all of your contact information and was not able to send out this information to you for calibrating the triggers. A friend helped me find all of your emails to put into the new website. If you are having a problem with your triggers working in binary mode, this is why and it will fix the problem. I am very sorry for all the confusion I started. Please watch this video.
View Quote

Direct link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvAYZPlRync&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like he is back to just selling 80% kits, that leaves all the liability and legal ramifications on the consumer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like he is back to just selling 80% kits, that leaves all the liability and legal ramifications on the consumer.
View Quote

He was always only selling 80%
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Latest email from Mr. Gallagher.

Thu, Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm

In celebration of the opening of ITFD Miami, I am pleased to announce our first sale after reopening. Everything is 15% off. If you placed an order in the last 4 days you will be getting a 15% refund. Use sale code ITFSALE at check out to receive your discount. Please put the word out to your friends and your favorite BLOG sites. The sale ends March 31st.

Company updates. The lawsuit is still going on. I can not speak about it publicly at this time, but I would like to address some rumors. ITFD is not working with or pay royalties to Franklin Armory. My employees and I are dedicated to this company and all of us agreed to work without pay. All profits will go to the lawsuit at this time.

Thank You,

Bob Gallagher
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
And another.

Sun, Mar 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Now Available the S&W M&P AR15-22 80% trigger kit.

Kits are in stock and ready to ship out. We have 25 kits ready to go. Take a look at this video clip for more details.

https://youtu.be/E9DOz_GI4ek
View Quote
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top